Official Jacob Kiraz signs with the bulldogs until the end of 2024

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
May I also add, that our last premiership team in 2004 had a lot of players who made their FG in Canterbury colours. They weren't ready made superstars. Guys like Mason, Maitua, SBW, Thurston, Asotasi, Sherwin, EL Masri, Harris, Anasta, Hughes & Utai all made their FG debuts at our club and played in our lower grades first, not to mention Sherwin, El Masri, Hughes & Utai being PURE Canterbury Juniors playing for the local competition from a very young age. Then you had rejects that we picked up along the way who bought into our culture like Patten & Tonga. That team only had two established stars that we bought from other clubs in Andrew Ryan & O'Meley, the rest we're either home grown or developed.
Yep all of the good teams have a majority of players who have made their debut for the club. They dont necessarily have to be local juniors, they just need to be picked up early.

Look at the 3 most successful sides of the last 10 years. Storm, Roosters and most recently Penrith. Storm have 13 players this week who made their debut for them. The panthers have 14 and the roosters have 10.

We only have 5 (Avo, Schoupp, Jacko, BO and Patolo). I dare say this would be the lowest in the league.

Its no the be all and end all. The knights for example have 11. But you cant make progress by going into the market every year

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he only really had 1 good half. he cramped up and couldnt get through the game and everyone is blowing loads over him. good signing for cheap but lets not get ahead of ourselves
It's the way he played that was impressive. It was so bloody obvious, it's a wonder everyone that watched didn't notice it. He ran with conviction and without fear and was actually effective, busting tackles etc. Most debutants don't stand out, but he certainly did. I'm not saying he's gonna be a star based on it, but it was one of the best debut games I can remember seeing.

It was a total surprise to me, because I've seen him in reggies, and he was good, but nothing special. I'd say a big part of his debut performance was due to his excitement of the occasion and wanting to impress. What surprised me the most was his tackle busting ability and how strong his carries were. Most debutants get dominated by the defence, whereas it was the opposite in his case. He certainly didn't look out of place in first grade. He even played better than a guy like Staggs, who is a gun.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s been our best back in reserve grade?
8 games- 4 tries , 5 line breaks , 4 try assists, 19 offloads and averaging 150 metres. Not bad for a young centre.
Didn't/doesn't he play wing in reggies, or am I dreaming? I was sure that was his position, unless he has moved to centre recently? Either way, it's not like anyone else is bashing the door down to play that spot in NRL. Burns was ok before being injured, but Avo and Naden have been average. Have Kiraz play right centre with Burns on the wing. That could be alright.