Opinion JAC

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How easy is it for the media to create a story and run with it because of personal vendetta's on people they don't like? Get use to hearing this shit to destabilise the club and don't beleive everything you read or hear because it only fills their pockets.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
How easy is it for the media to create a story and run with it because of personal vendetta's on people they don't like? Get use to hearing this shit to destabilise the club and don't beleive everything you read or hear because it only fills their pockets.
It won't take many wins at the start of next year to quiet the lot of them.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
He has been disappointing this year but he was clearly injured or not willing to push his injury for a lot of the season. Also the fact we were playing so bad meant he had little opportunities. Look at Alex Johnson. Bunnies have a down year and goes from 20+ tries to 3 this year. We Saw what JAC can do on the weekend not many players score his solo try. Also may be a bit of misinterpretation. Is he off contract in November. Maybe what was meant is if tigers or someone offer him big bucks for 25 might be able to go early. Although can't remember if he is signed till 24 or 25.
Alex Johnson has 21 tries in 2023

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
He hasn't been himself
He has been disappointing this year but he was clearly injured or not willing to push his injury for a lot of the season.
I've seen this said about him a lot and I don't know if I subscribe to it.

He is the type of winger that capitalises on opportunities - and is still one of, if not still the best at capitalising in the comp.

Last year the talk on here was that he was busted and past it when we signed him, which seemed plausible given the try-spell he started off 2022 with. He was overlooked for Origin and apparently "out of form", but really he just wasn't getting any good ball or opportunities. He had Schoupp inside him who wasn't a draw and pass centre, and we were incapable of shifting the ball without the defence being all over us. The only ball he got was from taking hit-ups out of yardage - which is the weakest aspect of his game, and if that's all he is able to do in a game, it makes him look very shit, and like he's not really having a go. But once Burton was able to create opportunities for him (mainly through kicks), Fox was suddenly back to his deadly best. The talk of him being busted or 'not the same since his injury' on here turned out to be typical kennel pessimism as he once again topped out the Telstra speed tracker at 38.7km/h, beating out his Storm best of 38.5km/h (2019).

I think this season it's been the same situation where he's had no opportunities to capitalise on. Yesterday he scored a 70-metre solo effort from an early shift into space, another from a Kikau draw and pass, and a final from a Perham line break and kick. Those opportunities have just not been there this season. Close to the line the ball tends to get tied up in crash-plays, and there is usually an error, or a poor end of set kick, rather than us shifting effectively from one side to another and getting the ball to the Fox without a defender in front of him.

The past two weeks Alamoti has shown a good catch and pass to get the ball to the Fox in space, which if executed closer to the try line would net a try for free.
chrome-capture-2023-8-4.gif
I think the Fox not succeeding in this line-break also gave the impression he's not 100%, but the height of the pass made him hop slightly and delay full acceleration, which allowed Cherry-Evans to break into a sprint sooner and cover just enough ground to spook him.

So the Fox being not himself or 'out of form' I think is the biggest symptom of our team's struggle in attack, just because his main/sole value is in capitalising off of opportunities. It was the same at Origin this year where he saw no ball. It's like Alex Johnston, who was completely invisible against us in Rd19 because he saw no ball. Yet at equal third on the try tally, I don't think many people think he is out of form, when he has the same minimal impact on a game as the Fox if he doesn't get good ball.

Funnily enough, Fox's strike rate is better this year at 0.73 than last year's 0.70.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Probs just his manager going the dogs have a few mil lying around with no one to spend it on, so why not send some JACs way and maybe give him an extra year.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's not too many wingers that score those 3 tries yesterday. All speed. awareness and evasiveness
Sure he's been down lately on form due to injury .I'm happy with what he's earning .We have one genuine rep player that the rest of the comp would love in their side. And we overthink that he's an overpaid winger. Let's get rid of him and replace him with a sloth.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He is the type of winger that capitalises on opportunities - and is still one of, if not still the best at capitalising in the comp.

Last year the talk on here was that he was busted and past it when we signed him, which seemed plausible given the try-spell he started off 2022 with. He was overlooked for Origin and apparently "out of form", but really he just wasn't getting any good ball or opportunities. He had Schoupp inside him who wasn't a draw and pass centre, and we were incapable of shifting the ball without the defence being all over us. The only ball he got was from taking hit-ups out of yardage - which is the weakest aspect of his game, and if that's all he is able to do in a game, it makes him look very shit, and like he's not really having a go. But once Burton was able to create opportunities for him (mainly through kicks), Fox was suddenly back to his deadly best. The talk of him being busted or 'not the same since his injury' on here turned out to be typical kennel pessimism as he once again topped out the Telstra speed tracker at 38.7km/h, beating out his Storm best of 38.5km/h (2019).

I think this season it's been the same situation where he's had no opportunities to capitalise on. Yesterday he scored a 70-metre solo effort from an early shift into space, another from a Kikau draw and pass, and a final from a Perham line break and kick. Those opportunities have just not been there this season. Close to the line the ball tends to get tied up in crash-plays, and there is usually an error, or a poor end of set kick, rather than us shifting effectively from one side to another and getting the ball to the Fox without a defender in front of him.

The past two weeks Alamoti has shown a good catch and pass to get the ball to the Fox in space, which if executed closer to the try line would net a try for free.
View attachment 81048
I think the Fox not succeeding in this line-break also gave the impression he's not 100%, but the height of the pass made him hop slightly and delay full acceleration, which allowed Cherry-Evans to break into a sprint sooner and cover just enough ground to spook him.

So the Fox being not himself or 'out of form' I think is the biggest symptom of our team's struggle in attack, just because his main/sole value is in capitalising off of opportunities. It was the same at Origin this year where he saw no ball. It's like Alex Johnston, who was completely invisible against us in Rd19 because he saw no ball. Yet at equal third on the try tally, I don't think many people think he is out of form, when he has the same minimal impact on a game as the Fox if he doesn't get good ball.

Funnily enough, Fox's strike rate is better this year at 0.73 than last year's 0.70.
Valid points.
The one thing I have noticed with Foxx however is that once he has lost confidence in taking on a cover defender, he slows down and tries to cut back in, instead of going for broke.

At the storm, he firstly wouldn't do that (higher level of confidence) but more importantly, the storm knew they could defend an error if he was bundled into touch -even on an early tackle.

With us, opportunities are few and far between. Having your winger make an error like that, can prove costly and the blowtorch will be applied. As such, it takes a hit on your confidence levels to "go for it".

JAC is an opportunist. When you are rebuilding a club, on a 10 year plan, you need guys like that to score run away tries and give the fans something to cheer and hope for, and also to buy yourself the time and their patience.

We need to keep him for next year and then see if our money is spent better in '25.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JAC is not the reason of our poor performances.

Getting rid of JAC will not fix the root cause i.e. our halves
100% agree that our spine is the biggest issue. Even more important than forwards.

We just don't have the brains in the halves to manage games or flow of momentum. Our spine should be tasked with understanding fatigue and momentum flow and have ways to combat it or apply it.

Our guys have none of this.

Look at DCE and Hunt. Also surrounded by inexperienced spine players but they manage to control these aspects of the game in some instances.

You need at least 2 of your spine to have good footy nous. That will make you a fringe top 8 team. Having 3 will almost certainly guarantee finals and having all 4 means you are a premiership contender.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 81048

The problem with that line break in the video you posted of JAC was the lack of urgency to back up and support him from his team mates. He had to baulk and slow because as you pointed out DCE had him covered and he had no-one in support for a potential offload. I remember watching it at the time and people where dumping shit on him.
There was another one recently dont know if it was the same game he made a break from the right side of the field, had to slow because he was covered by several players and had no-one backing him up who had plenty of time to do so.
Its not just with JAC either. Its as if we are conditioned to just run hit ups and when someone makes a break there all standing in the back field or slow jogging without a clue.
Anyways, what can you do. Onto next year.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He’s far from our Fucking issue. Hopefully he has xerri inside him next year and kikau gets a healthy bill of health for a season.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with that line break in the video you posted of JAC was the lack of urgency to back up and support him from his team mates. He had to baulk and slow because as you pointed out DCE had him covered and he had no-one in support for a potential offload. I remember watching it at the time and people where dumping shit on him.
There was another one recently dont know if it was the same game he made a break from the right side of the field, had to slow because he was covered by several players and had no-one backing him up who had plenty of time to do so.
Its not just with JAC either. Its as if we are conditioned to just run hit ups and when someone makes a break there all standing in the back field or slow jogging without a clue.
Anyways, what can you do. Onto next year.
This is what confidence and frequency does.
Our team doesn't make enough breaks in the middle of the field to have players make the effort to support play. Over time, the ones that do support, give up. You then have a team that looks like they just hit up the ball with no numbers or bodies in motion and become even easier pickings for the defence.

Our team has been guilty of this for years.

I blame the poor creativity by our halves and hooker over the years that has created this problem.

Most teams start the season with enthusiasm and have decent numbers in motion and in support. But if you don't reward the support run or make enough breaks, that enthusiasm drops off and it only takes afew rounds for your season to end.

It is imperative that our halves get creative in the off season and we reward our support players come start of '24.

My concern is that Burton just doesn't have it in him to create space or a half break with a well timed pass. He is the catalyst of our problems and we must replace him with a ball playing 5/8th immediately.

BBO is a much better option.

Watch how Tigers overtake us next year with Sezar running the show. He may be washed up, but he has footy nous and can pass the ball at the right time to create line breaks and reward the support runners (something Buhller is very good at doing)

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s far from our Fucking issue. Hopefully he has xerri inside him next year and kikau gets a healthy bill of health for a season.
The above Is all Hope lol. That’s all it is.. weather or not that all falls into place Is a different story. So we shall see come 24.