J-Moz #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With a full off season he would be a gun at fullback!

Ironhide07

In The Dog House
Reaction score
He cracked a decent smile when Mad Dog asked him about replacing Ben at the back. Under Des I think it's clear he will play wherever Des needs him and be happy with it. He may love the centres but after today I think he may just know, he has what it takes.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is an amazing talent. Just like his brother more then capable of becoming a great fullback (St George didnt have the patience to develop him). The thing though he is a big boy (would have to be close to 100kg). It is bulk he probably doesnt need as a fullback. He can afford to lose 3-5kg (will improve his mobility, speed and endurance/fitness) while not taking anything away from his game.

He was touching the ball 11 times a game so for him to get his hands on it 20+ times with open spaces it can only improve his game (as we saw today). But in saying that will all the marking, positional play and running the ball back take away from his attack in the last 10 mins?

I guess with a full offseason we will know what he is capable of. He is am amazing fullballer, has an amazing fullball brain and genes, so will be able to adapt his game to any position. Can he be as good a fullback as a centre? Des will make the right choice if he passes up signing a player to develop Morris. Fullbacks travel a lot of KM's each game, end to end marking players, defusing grubbers, following play makers, covering overlaps, cover tackles, this on top of his support play and his play making.

I think we saw he is not a play maker (his passing is not up to other fullbacks) and the tries he sets up are very much centre tries (flick passes/creating overlaps) but in saying that he has amazing hands and skills (I did not see that first Perrett try until the 3rd replay, i was convinced he must have dropped it).

1 good game doesn't make a player, the same as 1 bad game doesnt mean we need a replacement. Very high quality game from Josh today considering its only his 3rd apperance in the fullback for the last 4+ years.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
his defence will only improve with more game time... his attack is as potent as ever.

but again keep in mind he left st george cos Wayne Bennett pulled him out of his favorite center position.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
his defence will only improve with more game time... his attack is as potent as ever.

but again keep in mind he left st george cos Wayne Bennett pulled him out of his favorite center position.
Yeh absolutely right indiandog. He didn't seem like he was enthusiastic about his move into fullback (it was reported he was too scared to say no to Des). So I guess what ever makes Morris happy at this stage. He is the best centre in the world and one of the best defensive players there is (defending in the line that is) so we do need to accommodate him in a position that he wants to be playing.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if des hasler can turn around what was a hopeless benny barba early on, then making josh morris into a good fullback is a moral

halpo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Just hope the dragons don't try to poach him back

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
176m, a try, 3 try assists, 2 of them requiring excellence, 3rd game at fullback

likeadoggy get in here and explain why we will miss barba again ffs, because it looks to me as though we will miss morris if barba returns

adamski007

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barba has played his last game at the Bulldogs - they wont name him in the side again

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Barba has played his last game at the Bulldogs - they wont name him in the side again
careful with that opinion, i got called an assclown by bakes for suggesting it a few weeks ago

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
A big advantage of having him at FB are his kick returns. He never looks scared, he catches the ball and starts sprinting.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give him the off season and watch how good he goes, he already can catch, has speed, knows how to back up plays and will he work around his defense, just remember when Barba became our FB he didn't shine to the role straight away so lets just give J Moz a few more months

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Morris was outstanding..his speed is such a great asset.. And his vision in attack was great today.. Gee fullback has become such an key attacking position..no longer just a guy who can catch the high ball!!

The DoggFather

RIP HABS
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Would I be wrong in saying Morris is in a better position than when barba started at fullback?

If needed, Desmond will turn him into our Inglis.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Would I be wrong in saying Morris is in a better position than when barba started at fullback?

If needed, Desmond will turn him into our Inglis.
barba couldn't make a line break without turning to turner to take a turn at fullback so he could take a breather on the wing for 15 minutes, he was nothing but a 1 trick per game pony

i invite anyone to check out the 2011 tape, he would go 20 minutes without touching the ball ffs

morris is about 16 times better at the same stage

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Plus the other attribute JMoz has is experience, not in the FB position but in footy in general.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
I don't want to overeact after one good game for Morris at FB. But he did look lethal out there. He plays alot more direct then Barba, who tends to go around defenses instead.

The big issue is if he is happy playing there. And the answer to that is, he isn't. He's stated in interviews several times that he sees himself as a centre. But I can't see him being too unhappy about filling in there for the rest of the year if need be.

Barba will most likely be back next week, if not against the Panthers. He's positional play and endurance are far superior to Morris' right now and he will give us a huge boost when he returns.

Morris will benefit from his time at fullback over the last few weeks. There's no question moving to fullback will have a positive influence on his awareness and passing game.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i cant see why he would be unhappy with being a fullback

look what the extra involvement has done for inglis, he is now the centrepiece and morris has an opportunity to do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.