Ivan Cleary - Will he go down as the best NRL coaches ever?

Is Ivan Cleary one of the best coaches ever?

• Yes he is the GOAT

• No, he is just a normal coach and not in the same class as Bellamy or Bennet

• I am not sure , it is too early to tell

• Ozman

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
He is a very very good coach / always has been.
But he has players like yayo, Crichten, Cleary, Luai, Fisher, leniu, Garner at his disposal.
The test will be next year when they further lose players they haven’t replaced.
He goes 4 in a row he’s won me over

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pray laundy gives Ivan and his son a pub each to join us

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus Gould winning in his first year, then going to another club and winning there, then going to Origin and repeated wins there also waves hi.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each year they have players leave and each year they win. Take Kiks and Api out and still win it…. He’s up there for sure. Bennnet and Bellamy both had once in a generation players. Ivan has to be up there.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hard to say.
he has a pretty rad team at his disposal. they were even winning when hook was coaching them.
Need more data.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have lost a few good players and still managed to win 3 straight and had there assistants poached year after year and they just jog on Ivan hasn’t changed the way he approaches it and yeah he has nathan Cleary who wants to play and win for his dad who wouldn’t I think Ivan’s a good coach top tier atm but if the panthers can win 1-2 more premiership he has to be in the convo but like it or not he is the first coach in the nrl era to win 3 in a row

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the results tell the story. The fact that the Panthers continually unearth quality talent certainly helps his cause, but Bennett had all of Queensland when he was coaching the broncos, and still didn't make 4 straight grand finals.
A lot of the credit needs to go to tha immense talent he has at his disposal, but every year when the team has been picked apart, they seem to rise to another level. I thing that there is surely no disputing he is a great coach. If this penrif juggernaut continues to dominate in years to come, and he coaches them for another 10+ years then I have no doubt he will go down as the best coach we have seen.
His spine and Props have been the same for all 4 GF appearances though haven’t they?
I think Penrith can make the next 4 GF’s in a row with the way they play and the core locked up. Injuries the only thing preventing it if they do I think Ivan will stand alone at the top and he’s already in the top 5 conversation.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
His spine and Props have been the same for all 4 GF appearances though haven’t they?
I think Penrith can make the next 4 GF’s in a row with the way they play and the core locked up. Injuries the only thing preventing it if they do I think Ivan will stand alone at the top and he’s already in the top 5 conversation.
Yeah except for Api. The stability definitely helps.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Nope. He did SFA at the Tigers, and they're still wooden spooners. Poor club can't catch a break.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Everyone talks about his failure at the Tigers.... the Tigers are a basket case. Bennett flopped at a slightly less hopeless club in Newcastle. Nobody talks about the fact Cleary led the Warriors to a grand final, either.

Not the GOAT, obviously, but a very good coach.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone talks about his failure at the Tigers.... the Tigers are a basket case. Bennett flopped at a slightly less hopeless club in Newcastle. Nobody talks about the fact Cleary led the Warriors to a grand final, either.

Agee, baby!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Old man Bennet is still the GOAT for mine. Has been for a very long time
Although Scoobs he has had some great players with him that has given him such success..but he has been around for a longtime and success has followed him. However, for me it’s gotta be Craig Bellamy because he has the ability to consistently makes players better. I think that is key, and why I think he is the greatest.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm divided as well but the 3pete is something not done by others so that goes some ways. Then can he at this point move to another club and make them finalists ?

I think he'd easily attract talent but he has a huge nursery out that way, and lost Api and Kik and no dramas we fill those spots and win another one.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

If he was at Penrith not Tigers at that time, he would have bought Mbye and Reynolds on big money over there too.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If he was at Penrith not Tigers at that time, he would have bought Mbye and Reynolds on big money over there too.
JR could have been a decent pick up. Cleary didn’t know how injury plagued his time at the club would be.

Bellamy once signed Sam Kasiano and tried to make him a better player by turning him into a beanpole. You writing him off too?

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bellamy & Gus I have in the GOAT class

Ivan a rung below at this stage, if he can keep us top 4 for the next 5 or 6 years then he is alongside Bellamy, extra premierships gets him ahead. Cant bench him against Gus, will never get the chance to have the same rep opportunities. Took Warriors to a GF, and also only missed finals twice, once because of points deduction for a cap breach and the other the year Sonny Fai died. Tiges to ninth with Brooks getting HB of the year, the dud signings have been a Tigers thing well before Ivan and have continued since, so can't take much from that. I think people underestimate how truly shit we were when he arrived for stint one. Got us to a prelim in year 3 off the back of players he developed plus Soward & Merrin, all with a horrific injury toll. Sent for a nap after missing the finals with an even more horrific injury toll. Stint 2 speaks for itself.

Skeletor is a bit of a myth. Obviously can coach, but has been kissed on the dick by a fairy with the tool set he was handed. Still pretty much let the GOAT Storm team slip through his grasp and go to Bellamy & couldn't get a gun Souffs side a premiership, one GF with them & Ivan gets the ring. Still top 5 though.

Robbo also overrated but rounds out the 5 for lack of better options. Des would be in the discussion but loses too many points for the cap damage.

Wok, Gibson etc were at their peak before the fully professional era, so it's not a like for like comparison.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
JR could have been a decent pick up. Cleary didn’t know how injury plagued his time at the club would be.

Bellamy once signed Sam Kasiano and tried to make him a better player by turning him into a beanpole. You writing him off too?
Kasiano was not bought on big dollars like Mbye and JR.

choc and cheese

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bellamy & Gus I have in the GOAT class

Ivan a rung below at this stage, if he can keep us top 4 for the next 5 or 6 years then he is alongside Bellamy, extra premierships gets him ahead. Cant bench him against Gus, will never get the chance to have the same rep opportunities. Took Warriors to a GF, and also only missed finals twice, once because of points deduction for a cap breach and the other the year Sonny Fai died. Tiges to ninth with Brooks getting HB of the year, the dud signings have been a Tigers thing well before Ivan and have continued since, so can't take much from that. I think people underestimate how truly shit we were when he arrived for stint one. Got us to a prelim in year 3 off the back of players he developed plus Soward & Merrin, all with a horrific injury toll. Sent for a nap after missing the finals with an even more horrific injury toll. Stint 2 speaks for itself.

Skeletor is a bit of a myth. Obviously can coach, but has been kissed on the dick by a fairy with the tool set he was handed. Still pretty much let the GOAT Storm team slip through his grasp and go to Bellamy & couldn't get a gun Souffs side a premiership, one GF with them & Ivan gets the ring. Still top 5 though.

Robbo also overrated but rounds out the 5 for lack of better options. Des would be in the discussion but loses too many points for the cap damage.

Wok, Gibson etc were at their peak before the fully professional era, so it's not a like for like comparison.
Too many underrate winning a premiership in your first year as a coach.
I don't and why I hold Gus up there as a, if not The GOAT.
Bellamy failed at Origin and Cleary is yet to show what he can do at that level.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
The standard of opposition, especially this year, has been shit. A lot of the teams that have been perennial top tier squads have dramatically fallen away in ability this season.