Ivan Cleary - Will he go down as the best NRL coaches ever?

Is Ivan Cleary one of the best coaches ever?

• Yes he is the GOAT

• No, he is just a normal coach and not in the same class as Bellamy or Bennet

• I am not sure , it is too early to tell

• Ozman

Results are only viewable after voting.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Everything about Penrith is top class and they are cut above the rest. There is no question about it.

Hands down, it is the best NRL team of the modern ERA. Better than any Roosters and Storm team (including the one that was caught cheating the cap).

The only thing I am not so sure about is that Ivan Cleary as a head coach has anything to do with it all ?

Or this team has such good structures in place already that coach or no coach this team would have won the last 3 premierships regardless.

Keep in mind Ivan coached Tigers before coming to Penrith and he bought Mbye and Reynolds on big dollars and then ended up leaving the job half way through.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He'll never be on Bennett's level and I can't ignore how average he was in his first stint at Penrith and what happened at the Tigers.

Obviously he deserves some credit but he's had the most stacked and deep team in the comp for years.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rep-level coaching will sway my opinion.
His failure at the TigPies also needs to weigh heavily into the argument.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hooper is still salty over him leaving Tigers it is comedy gold.

He has almost coached 2 decades in first grade. He is right up there. I think he learned a lot from his Tigers stint.

What he identified is the big money duds do not work. He got guys like Sorrenson, Eisenhuth, Cogger, Peachey, Garner, Salmon. Budget signings all the marquee stars are from within.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He did take the tigers to 9th didn’t he..and only had one year there. He’s a very good coach and the playing group at Penrith are very united. He has a lot of talent but doesn’t over coach them and I think he focuses more on man management. He also raised his son and schooled him in footy to the point that he is a future immortal

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm torn, definately lean towards yes. However hes the benefactor of having a team that's played together since they were little. I guess the fact he got Warriors to a GF in 2011 helps his cause also.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everything about Penrith is top class and they are cut above the rest. There is no question about it.

Hands down, it is the best NRL team of the modern ERA. Better than any Roosters and Storm team (including the one that was caught cheating the cap).

The only thing I am not so sure about is that Ivan Cleary as a head coach has anything to do with it all ?

Or this team has such good structures in place already that coach or no coach this team would have won the last 3 premierships regardless.

Keep in mind Ivan coached Tigers before coming to Penrith and he bought Mbye and Reynolds on big dollars and then ended up leaving the job half way through.
I think the results tell the story. The fact that the Panthers continually unearth quality talent certainly helps his cause, but Bennett had all of Queensland when he was coaching the broncos, and still didn't make 4 straight grand finals.
A lot of the credit needs to go to tha immense talent he has at his disposal, but every year when the team has been picked apart, they seem to rise to another level. I thing that there is surely no disputing he is a great coach. If this penrif juggernaut continues to dominate in years to come, and he coaches them for another 10+ years then I have no doubt he will go down as the best coach we have seen.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the results tell the story. The fact that the Panthers continually unearth quality talent certainly helps his cause, but Bennett had all of Queensland when he was coaching the broncos, and still didn't make 4 straight grand finals.
A lot of the credit needs to go to tha immense talent he has at his disposal, but every year when the team has been picked apart, they seem to rise to another level. I thing that there is surely no disputing he is a great coach. If this penrif juggernaut continues to dominate in years to come, and he coaches them for another 10+ years then I have no doubt he will go down as the best coach we have seen.

See thats the point I am trying to make.

No matter what coach you put there, Ivan or no Ivan, Panthers was always going to be winning 3 in a row and possibly more.

For a coach to go 4 GF and 3 premierships in a row is out of this world, but is the coach in this case really the major factor here? Like we have seen with Bellamy , Skeletor and Des of old?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep agree Flame, he has been privilege(gifted even) with a star studded roster but he keeps delivering at the helm..they take everything in their stride and still got it done yesterday, becoming the first team in 40 years to do the triple.

Would have to rate as a very good coach, their short odds to play in the final game next year too one would think.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boat loads of talent at his disposal, supposedly has one of the largest nurseries in the country, and has a son whose on the path to surpassing Joey.

if he goes to another club and takes em to a premiership, I’d rate him. Right now he sits behind Dessie in my view.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He also took a young inexperienced Wahs to the GF in 2011

4 GFs in a row
3 peat is nothing to sniff at

I saw the footage today of the clutch last 20 min as they focussed on Broncos coaching staff and Panthers

Cleary was behind on scoreboard yet he’s calm and collected giving out instructions to his runners and you think about some of his in game adjustments

Kev Walters on the other hand had that 1000 yard stare and left it to his assistants

Ivan might still sit behind the likes of Bennett but he’s closer to Bellyache especially if Panthers go 4 straight despite losing more stars

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
See thats the point I am trying to make.

No matter what coach you put there, Ivan or no Ivan, Panthers was always going to be winning 3 in a row and possibly more.

For a coach to go 4 GF and 3 premierships in a row is out of this world, but is the coach in this case really the major factor here? Like we have seen with Bellamy , Skeletor and Des of old?
How can we ever judge this then?? Is the best coach of all time the coach that makes a shit team competitive year in, year out? Or is it the one that wins the most grand finals? Pretty hard to argue it's not the latter.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How can we ever judge this then?? Is the best coach of all time the coach that makes a shit team competitive year in, year out? Or is it the one that wins the most grand finals? Pretty hard to argue it's not the latter.
I dont know how to judge thats why I want to see the kennels opinion on this.

The argument can be made both ways.

Also the latter point you raised is the reason why I will never rate Bennet over Bellamy as Bennet always had the luxury of star studded line up when ever has won the comps.

Had he turned the hopeless knights into a premiership winning team I would have rated him along side Bellamy.

For me Bellamy will always be number 1 coach in the history of NRL.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bellamy has been to 9 GF & never missed the finals besides the salary cap year.

Bennett has been to 10 GF with 4 different clubs.

Cleary has a lot to do to join that class.

People need to stop disrespecting history in GOAT convos. Too much recency bias.