It's hard not to love Dogs fans at finals time ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
One of the greatest joys being a Bulldogs fan gives me, is the way we embrace each others happiness.

If there's a story on a fan doing it tough and they get some luck, we're all over it congratulating them on their success. If some fans drive 1000's of kms to watch a game, we're on it to applaud their efforts and it uplifts us all.

We watch the Bulldogs Army on TV, we see their posts online and the hordes of pictures of smiling faces and we point and go "SEE, those are MY people !". We walk down the street and come across a total stranger wearing Bulldogs colours, and that alone is good enough for a G'day or a knowing nod of approval with a wry smile. We know, that they know the deal : "Another one of us, another less of them".

Maybe it's my foggy memory, but to me it seems like finals time in recent years has evolved to the next level.

2009 : From the wooden spoon, I watched us emerge from the depths of the 2008 where only the most dedicated fans still showed up, and become a force to be reckoned with in 2009 only to fall at the GFQ with over 35,000 of our own behind us. We followed our fallen back to Belmore and greeted them home with open arms and chests filled with pride.

2012 : On the crest of our Dally M success and our charge to the GF, Belmore became a focal point for September. Cafes. Pop-up stores. A convoy of vehicles, horns and flags using the main street as a drive-through religious experience !

2014 : Repeat of 2012 but more people. Add the novelty of charging from 7th place. Those who missed out last time made a trip this time. Some who came last time, made multiple trips this time.

It's got to the point where in September, Belmore is the epi-centre of our identity. Fans from far and wide will flock to be part of it. And for those who cannot be there due to circumstances of distance, they can live vicariously through the pics and experiences of others like us here.

Over the last few finals campaigns, I've been really proud by the way our community of fans embraces it : We talk a lot of crap on here about expectations, winning ratios, comparisons to other teams, etc. But somehow, all of that doesn't seem to matter when September gets here.

In the last few weeks I've seen videos of Tahir and Rob in St.George country looking for their fans, I've seen a stream of pictures of our mascot trolling Roosters fans, our jersey at Allianz, and articles claiming we'll outnumber their fans on their home ground. Not to mention the video of the boys dancing that's popped up today. It takes my mind back to last year where we had some lunatic traveling around rival grounds to erect our flag with a portable drill and some well placed screws ... it's almost as if it doesn't matter what result happens. The big day will come, the match will be played and whatever will be, will be. But in the meantime, we're gonna milk as much fun out of September as we can.

Shit like that just makes me day, and reminds me I'm a fan of the right club.

September should be celebrated.
Our fans do it just right ... :thumb:

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I love September. I love driving along and hearing a horn beeping and turning to see another car with doggies flags with a guy I've never met or seen before giving me the thumbs up, or the flash of the lights as you drive past another doggies car.

I can't wait to march from central this Friday. I'm actually going well out of my way to be a part of it, simply because we're the only club who'd do it and it should be embraced.

I love that Belmore is party central at this time of the year. The sense of community and comradery is second to none. Other fans look at it and bag us for celebrating to soon but they don't get what we're celebrating is more than a GF win, it's celebrating our team and what we have.

#proudtobeabulldog

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As usual CK, another fine post.
Lets see how we go - I have a good feeling.

Barba

TANK
Reaction score
we're gonna ****ing kill these chickens on friday night

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
All I know is that if we do win, Belmore will be going off hard.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
All I know is that if we do win, Belmore will be going off hard.
Can only imagine if we win the whole thing. The fact we still managed to fill up Burwood road last year after the GF loss is a testament to our fans.

Malla

Reaction score
Nice post. Really well said.

September typifies why I love the Bulldogs so much. Nobody celebrates like we do.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ck you are inspirational ,Nothing brings joy like a finals win especially to bulldogs fans .

Last edited by a moderator:

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burwood rd the night before a GF should be on everyone's bucket list. I gave been in 2014 & 2012 and hope to be back there in 2015!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burwood rd the night before a GF should be on everyone's bucket list. I gave been in 2014 & 2012 and hope to be back there in 2015!
We drove down to Sydney the night before the GF last year just to join in the enormous outpouring of joy and pride in our team. Grand final day itself in Belmore was magic; went and visited Tayta and danced with others outside the house in main street Belmore, met up with Raelene and her other half who were hijacked on their way to the club, even saw ex-players popping down to join in the excitement. The flags, the drums, the chants, the face paint just the overall feel of the place got you in the mood for the game. Nowhere like Belmore and the surrounds during finals time that's for sure.

Even afterwards, when the boys returned to the club; even in defeat; the fans embraced them and commiserated with them.

To be honest I think I was always destined to be a Doggies fan, in fact I know I was; nothing like it in this world. We may not always be 100% happy with the way our team goes sometimes but always 100% proud. Well, I know I am. Come hell or high water I won't desert my team, I could not. No bandwaggoning for me; Blue and White until I die.

So, I ask you all: Are you Ready?????...... ARE YOU READY???? YES WE ARE READY!!!

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
8hours of work today. 2hours on the road. Not gonna get much time to share the love today but I'm wishing us all a fun and happy night.

If you're going to the game, wear a big fat smile, hug lots of strangers in our colours and scream louder ... For me.

Status
Not open for further replies.