It's absolutely criminal...

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The way that Andrew Ryans GF-tackle is completely lost into oblivion without recognition.

Don't get me wrong - Sattlers tackle in the 2003 Grand Final was amazing to watch live - scores tied up, mid-way through the second half, a lock chasing down a winger... amzing.

Now let's look at Ryan's tackle -

• Dogs leading by 3 points in a GF.
  • 80th minute of the game
  • Floating ball from the halfback (Finch) finds Crocker in some space.
  • Tonga misses his assignment (nearest defender) as Mick (the dick) Crocker finds space - with support looming.
  • Ryan cuts in behind his defensive line to effect the tackle - not only grounding the ball-carrying player, but also dislodging the ball in the same tackle.
What makes this feat all the more amazing was this was our stand-in captain for the day.

It seems that this play has been lost into history, with only Peter Sterling making such a big deal of it at the time.

It's no flick pass for a try. It's no forward tackling a back into touch to save a try. But it was a tackle that won us our 8th premiership.

Love you Bobcat. Even if those flogs at 9 won't give you the recognition you will always deserve.

1664833483538.png

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The way that Andrew Ryans GF-tackle is completely lost into oblivion without recognition.

Don't get me wrong - Sattlers tackle in the 2003 Grand Final was amazing to watch live - scores tied up, mid-way through the second half, a lock chasing down a winger... amzing.

Now let's look at Ryan's tackle -

• Dogs leading by 3 points in a GF.
  • 80th minute of the game
  • Floating ball from the halfback (Finch) finds Crocker in some space.
  • Tonga misses his assignment (nearest defender) as Mick (the dick) Crocker finds space - with support looming.
  • Ryan cuts in behind his defensive line to effect the tackle - not only grounding the ball-carrying player, but also dislodging the ball in the same tackle.
What makes this feat all the more amazing was this was our stand-in captain for the day.

It seems that this play has been lost into history, with only Peter Sterling making such a big deal of it at the time.

It's no flick pass for a try. It's no forward tackling a back into touch to save a try. But it was a tackle that won us our 8th premiership.

Love you Bobcat. Even if those flogs at 9 won't give you the recognition you will always deserve.

View attachment 59614
I have said this for a while, THAT TACKLE won us the grand final. Yep, gotta love Sterlo for giving Ryan the recognition, even Andrew Voss who interview him after game mentioned it, but that fact that Scott Sattlers tackle (which was an absolute screamer) gets far more recognition than this is quite bizare.

If Sattler made that tackle on Crocker instead (for arguments sake) that rest of channel 9 would've blown their loads.

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we had spider cam back then you would of seen roosters had a massive overlap with only Patten to beat.
One of the best passes you’d see too and a perfect like run by Crocker

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There was still time left after the Sattler tackle but the Ryan tackle pretty much won us the premiership.

I think during that time it was overshadowed by other headlines like the SBW tackle on Flannery and Thurston giving his ring to Price

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The Tackle Edwards did wasnt anywhere near important with the score what itvwas at the time..
Sure, but still a cracker.
Happened right in front of me.
Sorry to see Simonsson get injured (we heard his cries as soon as he hit the ground) but it was still a try saving tackle in a GF and a very good one - Edwards totally deserved the Clive Churchill Medal, great game.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree on the Bobcat tackle - I’ll also leave a link to the master

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will never forget Ryans tackle in that final, everyone i was watching it with that day knows how important it was and still talk about it every grand final day.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will never forget Ryans tackle in that final, everyone i was watching it with that day knows how important it was and still talk about it every grand final day.
Yep I was in the stands that day and the tackle happened right in front of me I was filled with elation. One of the best feelings ever. I was with about 6 mates who were all cheering for the roosters too lol

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of us who remember watching Turvey play, he pulled off these type of cover defending tackles week in week out. Funny how no one ever remembers them.
Three beauties in the 1980 GF for starters, and all of them at least as good as Sattlers. Cover defending was like Turvey's little side-skill that got lost a bit among all his main skills.

transporter

Waterboy
Reaction score
You people didn’t see les johns tackle on Kevin Yao yea at Leichhardt oval in the 60,s. the best tackle I’ve ever seen. These other tackles were great as well.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yep I was in the stands that day and the tackle happened right in front of me I was filled with elation. One of the best feelings ever. I was with about 6 mates who were all cheering for the roosters too lol
I must of been next to you, it happened right in front of me too.

Remember it like it was just this morning.