It’s Christmas in Stonnington, but some are far from merry

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

It’s Christmas in Stonnington, but some are far from merry.

The local council has sparked an uproar in Melbourne’s inner east by omitting the word “Christmas” from its annual festive decorations.

1702587451650.png

The City of Stonnington has put up green and red signs displaying Christmas motifs and reading “Make Merry” across the municipality as part of its campaign to make the season more “inclusive”.
But on social media, some locals have slammed the decision as woke and disgraceful and a petition against it has been launched.

One Facebook user wrote: “It is disgraceful to see the council effectively remove any Christmas references or symbols and replace them with generic ‘Make Merry’ garbage. I’d rather get rid of the whole council than lose the Christmas time of year.”
The petition calls on the council to “Reinstate ‘Merry Christmas’ in Stonnington Community Display.” It has received 96 signatures so far.

1702587472451.png

It argues that replacing Merry Christmas with Make Merry “risks diluting the unique cultural heritage associated with this festive season”.
“While we appreciate efforts to promote inclusivity, we believe this change may unintentionally diminish the cultural and religious significance of Christmas for many residents,” the petition reads.

Stonnington Council, which covers suburbs including Armadale, Kooyong, Malvern, Prahran, South Yarra, Toorak and Windsor, said it supported Christmas through its carols events.

It also pointed to the wreath on the Malvern Town Hall and a 12-metre tall Christmas tree in Prahran Square as part of its plans to celebrate the holiday.

1702587494748.png

“The ‘Make Merry’ campaign was developed in response to feedback from residents and businesses which articulated the need for an inclusive way to acknowledge the different celebrations held in December,” a council spokesperson said.

“The decorations aim to bring a festive feel to Stonnington’s commercial precincts and support our local businesses and traders by attracting visitors to our shopping precincts.”

The City of Melbourne is using the word Christmas prominently in its festive branding this year.

Some of Stonnington’s Make Merry signs have been vandalised to read “Merry Christmas”.

“While we understand some residents may have differing views about the wording on the decorations, property vandalism is unacceptable,” the council spokesperson said.

Reverend Gregory Seach, vicar at St George’s Anglican Church in Malvern, questioned the need to remove “Christmas” from the branding.

“Given that the word ‘Christmas’ in so many people’s minds is disconnected from its religious origins, it’s odd,” Seach said.
“I don’t know who they are frightened of upsetting.”

Stonnington Council said it had a four-year cycle for its decoration designs and that the Make Merry campaign was in its second year. Its total Christmas campaign budget this year is $380,000.

“As with all community campaigns, “Make Merry” will be subject to a mid-cycle review to ensure it is meeting its objectives,” the council spokesperson said.
Seach welcomed messaging for other religious holidays in the municipality.

“I have noticed stickers saying ‘Happy Hanukkah’ and I’ve been pleased to see it acknowledge Jewish brothers and sisters,” he said.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What does Make Merry even mean? It sounds like a euphemism for having sex or beating off..

The dumb thing about moves like this which are so overly woke is that most Jewish, Muslim etc cultures are perfectly fine with others celebrating Xmas, wish you a Merry Xmas and some even go to other families Xmas lunches. We've had someone's girlfriend last year at our family Xmas who is Jewish and years before that we had a friend of my Uncle who is Muslim that had no family in Sydney (he's from Melbourne) spend Xmas with us. Just yesterday a Jewish guy I work with wished me a Merry Xmas.. Not to mention a lot of us aren't religious at all and still celebrate Xmas. Which is why shit like this is so dumb. Because no one was offended or excluded in the first place.

Wahesh

Reaction score
People forget what Christmas represents, reads like they want to boost their ESG score up.

Lets be inclusive to everyone but exclude people who actually celebrate CHRISTmas for what it stands for!
It doesn’t even make sense. Make merry? Dafuq?
Although maybe it makes sense to people who use they/them as a singular?
What does Make Merry even mean? It sounds like a euphemism for having sex or beating off..

The dumb thing about moves like this which are so overly woke is that most Jewish, Muslim etc cultures are perfectly fine with others celebrating Xmas, wish you a Merry Xmas and some even go to other families Xmas lunches. We've had someone's girlfriend last year at our family Xmas who is Jewish and years before that we had a friend of my Uncle who is Muslim that had no family in Sydney (he's from Melbourne) spend Xmas with us. Just yesterday a Jewish guy I work with wished me a Merry Xmas.. Not to mention a lot of us aren't religious at all and still celebrate Xmas. Which is why shit like this is so dumb. Because no one was offended or excluded in the first place.
Exactly, I agree with everything said here. In addition, and I really hate using this word, but Christmas has ALWAYS been inclusive, and if 0.01% of the population are offended by it, they are free to leave our shores whenever they like.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They are slowly killing Christmas and making it it as a marketing strategy to sell shit.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Typical Victorians

Wahesh

Reaction score
Typical Victorians
To be fair it is only one council, and even people from within that council are opposing this shit, but point taken. They obviously didn’t learn from the “Very Merry” fiasco in Sydney a few years ago.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They are slowly killing Christmas and making it it as a marketing strategy to sell shit.
Agree. Focus is changing too strongly to making it a marketing exercise.

“As with all community campaigns, “Make Merry” will be subject to a mid-cycle review to ensure it is meeting its objectives,” the council spokesperson said.

Christmas in of itself is not to be celebrated as an excuse or justification for a "campaign strategy to ensure Make Merry meets its objectives in a mid-cycle review!"

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
To be fair it is only one council, and even people from within that council are opposing this shit, but point taken. They obviously didn’t learn from the “Very Merry” fiasco in Sydney a few years ago.
Haha yep it’s definitely the woke state

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It doesn’t even make sense. Make merry? Dafuq?
Although maybe it makes sense to people who use they/them as a singular?
Maybe "Merry" is a girls name. They're telling people to bone and pop out more children.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy to live and let live about religion. So I find it a bit ridiculous that people who celebrate Christmas are expected to make concessions on the assumption that a few people might find it offensive. If I suggested that burkas are offensive, I'll be labelled as a racist or intolerant. If I asked any deeply religious person to make concessions it'd be intolerant.

But I could get on board with this if they also decided not to blast Christmas tunes in every shopping centre for two months.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
The worst part is Blue Boosts work from home crowd probably had a team of people working on it for 6 months getting paid $185,000 a year

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Geez, I wonder which bagel eating group whinged enough for this bullshit to happen....

We get it, you still hate Christ after 2000 years.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I think it’s a good thing because it will offend Muslims, Hindus and Jews that hate Christmas.
So keeps social cohesion.
Once you go multicultural you have to give it up and show respect to the multi culture for the society to function.