Israel Folau's meeting with Todd Greenberg fuels NRL comeback speculation Read more:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Prized signature: dual international Israel Folau. Photo: Getty Images

If Israel Folau returns to the game that made him famous, this could be the moment the move was hatched.
The Wallabies star and his manager, Isaac Moses, were spotted in discussions with the NRL's head of football, Todd Greenberg, at the Azure Cafe at Allianz Stadium on Wednesday. The mid-morning meeting at the Moore Park precinct went for about 40 minutes, although Folau excused himself halfway through.

Greenberg made no secret of his desire to lure Folau to Canterbury when he was chief executive of the "Family Club". The surprise catchup – held just one win shy of a historic home Super Rugby final for the Waratahs – suggests Greenberg still wants Folau back in the 13-man code in his new role at Rugby League Central.

Fancy meeting you here: Israel Folau, above right wearing hat, with his manager Isaac Moses and high-ranking NRL official Todd Greenberg. Photo: Supplied

The development comes amid suggestions another Wallaby star, Kurtley Beale, is almost a done deal to switch to the Bulldogs at the end of the season. Beale, off contract at the end of the year, is also managed by Moses.

In another potential test of the revolutionary changes to next year’s salary cap, which allow NRL chief executive Dave Smith the discretion to centrally top up the contracts of "once in a generation" athletes, Gold Coast AFL player Karmichael Hunt has been courted by league clubs. Hunt, a former Maroons and Kangaroos star who has also played professional rugby union, is also managed by the ID Elite Sports agency.

Head office was more a hindrance than a help the last time Folau was negotiating a return to rugby league. Parramatta almost got their man about 18 months ago, only for the process to be scuppered by red tape. The former Greater Western Sydney Giant came onto the market at late notice after his failed AFL stint. The NRL’s delays in rubber-stamping a heavily back-ended deal ultimately cost the code the signature of Folau, who has subsequently become the best and most marketable commodity on the ARU’s books.

League officials played down the significance of the meeting, saying it was a chance encounter. Greenberg said he mentioned his birthday when the pair crossed paths and the Minto product offered to buy him a coffee.

"Mr Greenberg ran into Israel Folau, who he knows well, while heading to the coffee shop and they had an unplanned catch up," a NRL spokesman said.

"It was not a business discussion."

But given Folau was accompanied by Moses, the latter spotted a long way from his agency’s Homebush Bay headquarters, the meeting is likely to set off alarm bells in the corridors of the ARU.

In an interview with Fairfax Media before his transition to head office last year, Greenberg said: "Putting my NRL hat on, I'd love to see Israel play rugby league.

"In my current role I'd like to see that happen at the Bulldogs. He would be wonderful playing rugby league again and the decision is his. We'll be doing everything we can to entice him here and to play our game, but that's his decision."

There are no shortages of league suitors should Folau come onto the open market. Parramatta are keen for another crack and hope the presence of younger brother John in their squad could give them an edge. The Roosters will also be in the hunt and will have some salary cap space available after the defection of Sonny Bill Williams back to rugby. Melbourne, where Folau's professional career began, shapes as another potential destination. While the cross-code star has previously played at Brisbane, a return to Red Hill is unlikely given Anthony Milford will join a star-studded backline that already boasts Ben Barba at fullback.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...speculation-20140716-ztn49.html#ixzz37eExxkew

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looks like there is fullbacks a plenty!

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Greenberg getting all the fullbacks for the Bulldogs, go you good thing offer him big money then let us offer him some more big money lol

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just a coffee , yeah right After seeing that new hair style I think Thorpe will try to track him down for a "coffee"

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
Moses and Todd are mates. Have been for a long time.

I don't trust Isaac Moses. I no longer trust Todd.

They are cooking up something but I don't think the beneficiary will be Canterbury.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Kurtley Beale, is almost a done deal to switch to the Bulldogs at the end of the season. Beale, off contract at the end of the year, is also managed by Moses.

Ill believe this when I see it!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Moses and Todd are mates. Have been for a long time.

I don't trust Isaac Moses. I no longer trust Todd.

They are cooking up something but I don't think the beneficiary will be Canterbury.
To be perfectly fair it's not TG's job to look after Canterbury anymore.

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
To be perfectly fair it's not TG's job to look after Canterbury anymore.[/QUOT

Agree 100%. I have no doubt he is doing his job for the NRL and not the Bulldogs. After all, they are now his employer.

However, I expected more of him in terms of the NRL communicating and interacting with Clubs. So far in his almost one year tenure at the NRL, nothing has changed!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Greenberg: "So Izzy, Kurtley Beale said he's a better fullback than you"

Izzy: "That bitch, sign me up now, I'll prove him wrong"

News headlines: "Bulldogs sign Beale and Folau for $2 each"

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting indeed, NRL need to get a player loan system like ESL going to save talent.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Toulon rumoured to be on the verge of offering folau $2.5 mill per year ,they spent $50 mill on players last year ,cant see him in league

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Greenberg: "So Izzy, Kurtley Beale said he's a better fullback than you"

Izzy: "That bitch, sign me up now, I'll prove him wrong"

News headlines: "Bulldogs sign Beale and Folau for $2 each"
That's the type of dream that makes you wake up with your hand around your scrotum. LOL

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Greenberg <3 send him to the Bulldogs

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He kinda just rubbished it on twitter lol

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@IzzyFolau: twitted. Having a coffee with @TonyAbbottMHR today. if anyone wants to take a photo. Thinking about going into politics next.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
@IzzyFolau: twitted. Having a coffee with @TonyAbbottMHR today. if anyone wants to take a photo. Thinking about going into politics next.
LOL best

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL at Todd GREENBERG meeting with ISRAEL Folau and ISAAC MOSES. It's a shame Gaza Strip Goldbergsteinman wasn't there....

Status
Not open for further replies.