Is Trent Hodkinson the Long-Term Answer?

Sign Hodkinson long-term or try a different option?

• Yes

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I was hesitant to create this thread, as I don't want to cause any animosity at this end of the season. But then I though, it's only a forum!

I’m interested to gauge The Kennel’s opinions on Trent Hodkinson as our halfback moving forward.

It’s clear that Trent has improved markedly in 2014. I think he has one of the best defensive games for a half, and it looks like he may become one of the best goal kickers the game has seen. I also really like his attitude and his persona.

However, I question his complete game compared with the top halves in the NRL. In my humble opinion, he lacks the speed and agility to have a potent running game, preventing him from turning half chances into points. This isn’t necessarily a problem, if he can provide a polished passing and kicking game, and direct the team around the park effectively, like a Cooper Cronk style half. Unfortunately, I think his passing and kicking games lack that polish. His goal kicking and kicks for touch are highly effective, but his in-play kicking isn’t great. His passing game this year has lacked the accuracy and creativity to be considered up there with the top halves.

I’m not yet sold on his ability to direct a team around the park yet, but it’s difficult to assess this given the Des Hasler structures that he is forced to play under.

This is juts my opinion. I’m not bashing him, and I hope this thread doesn’t provide a catalyst for bashing Trent.

So my question is, do the Dogs try to sign Trent long-term, or look at signing or developing another half. Of course, this question is inherently dependant on what other options would be available.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think by the end of next season it will be clear

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think by the end of next season it will be clear
I'm kinda hoping (selfishly) that Pearce will become the NSW half again next year, and we get a full, solid season out of Hodkinson at the Dogs.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect part of the problem is that he is very restricted by Des.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda hoping (selfishly) that Pearce will become the NSW half again next year, and we get a full, solid season out of Hodkinson at the Dogs.
For sure origin is a distraction , I guess we just play the waiting game

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes really disappointed me of late ,constantly kicks into the back of defenders instead of repeat sets ,kicks out on full ,throws hospital passes ,forget all the bullshit excuses its not good enough from the origin half ,i hope he comes good but at this stage he's very average

Last edited by a moderator:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
i wouldn't sign him up long term atm. Hopefully he gets more support from his halves partner next season so we can base our structures around our halves and not forwards ball playing. If we get our forwards running lines for Hodko he will do alot better and his running game will improve.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
i wouldn't sign him up long term atm. Hopefully he gets more support from his halves partner next season so we can base our structures around our halves and not forwards ball playing. If we get our forwards running lines for Hodko he will do alot better and his running game will improve.
I think he will improve, I'm just not sure if he has the potential to improve enough to become a truly top half

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting season for him. Started very well and kept improving up until origin 2. After that game and winning the series his form seems to have dropped. No doubt he is a good defender and goal kicker though.

He's off contract at the end of next season, I don't know if there are any suitable replacements around tbh, can't see anyone in the lower grades knocking on the door (except Moses but I really don't know which position he will end up playing).

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just think he doesn't have to be a dce but cut out his stupid errors which puts us on the back foot and throw some nice short and long balls ,guiding the team around ,thats all we need from him

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I suspect part of the problem is that he is very restricted by Des.
Yeah,
I agree,
Des uses Hodkinson as his level headed half who sticks to the game plan and the structures and gives josh Reynolds to licence to play what's in front of him,

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think he will improve, I'm just not sure if he has the potential to improve enough to become a truly top half
i doubt he will ever become a top line half, but i believe he will be better for the team long term than Reynolds will. Hodko has come back from injuries that other players would retire from, he has the vision and composure that can't be taught.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its hard to tell. Part of me wants to give Mbye a go, and lets see how we roll with Reynolds/Mbye. I say this because Reynolds won't ever be dropped, and I am desperate for some decent attack!

I just wish we'd play like a normal footy side every once in a while. The flat attack thing was cool in 2012, alright in 2013, and next to useless in 2014. We don't have the points, and I think alot of that lies in these hit ups we do as a team. Did you know the dogs have more hit ups than anyone in the comp? Sometimes you got to step back and place some faith in the halves.

I felt he was the hero for NSW, and he was blazing hot those 2 games. Thats what you get when you get proper structures around him. lets hope the rumours regarding the offloading of some of these big poppers is true.. (kas, frank and t rex), because that is a sign Des is shifting away from our structures for good and we're going to play some structured fast footy!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Its hard to tell. Part of me wants to give Mbye a go, and lets see how we roll with Reynolds/Mbye. I say this because Reynolds won't ever be dropped, and I am desperate for some decent attack!

I just wish we'd play like a normal footy side every once in a while. The flat attack thing was cool in 2012, alright in 2013, and next to useless in 2014. We don't have the points, and I think alot of that lies in these hit ups we do as a team. Did you know the dogs have more hit ups than anyone in the comp? Sometimes you got to step back and place some faith in the halves.

I felt he was the hero for NSW, and he was blazing hot those 2 games. Thats what you get when you get proper structures around him. lets hope the rumours regarding the offloading of some of these big poppers is true.. (kas, frank and t rex), because that is a sign Des is shifting away from our structures for good and we're going to play some structured fast footy!
I believe Reynolds will get dropped :grinning:

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
lets hope the rumours regarding the offloading of some of these big poppers is true.. (kas, frank and t rex),
woah woah woah woah woah

Slow down, Hot wheels.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
good enough for nsw, not good enough for the bulldogs :p

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
good enough for nsw, not good enough for the bulldogs :p
Thats a pretty small minded comment ,if they both are playing like this next year they wont be nsw halves any longer

Status
Not open for further replies.