Is this the first time we haven't improved after mass recruitment drive?

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our recruitment has been overhyped purely because of the volume of players coming in. The quality and general balance of the team is still very much a work in progress.

As others have said most players we have signed are good players that couldn’t make first grade at their previous clubs.

Our squad is about a 12th place finish squad. I believe that’s where we will finish also. The main obstacle isn’t the team itself that takes the field. It’s the tactics, game plan and style that they play with. At the moment this is way off where it needs to be.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember the 2001 season. We recruited Patten,Vangana, Tricky, Rauhihi plus the emergence of Anasta and Mason got us finishing 2nd.

2009. We recruited Ennis,Noddy,Hannant,Beast,Jmoz,Goodwin and Staggs and we finished 2nd.

I've been following the dogs since the 90s but can any of you older folkes remember a season were we didn't improve after such a promising recruitment drive?
Our draw in 01 was pretty easy. We struggled against the top flight teams. We had a solid base to work with from 2000. That year was a development year for Anasta, Sherwin and mason. Vagana was also incredible.

2009 was an exception - ennis and kimmorley were great spine recruits and we shouldn’t underestimate Hannant, Stagg and ennis coming from the same club. Hodgson and warburton did a good job as minimum wagers too.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What recruitment drive Uleh?
Duffy- unwanted, hit or miss player
Vaughan- Punted because he was considered a spent force. BBQ incident just the out St George needed. No club would punt a player they really wanted in this scenario.
Burton- Yeah ok. But here is an up and coming player who made a name for himself in the centre’s.
Pangai- Good player. Hit or miss.
JAC- Good player, but only unlocks when the rest of the team creates space. Seems more interested in gang signs, rap videos, posing shirtless, saying ‘let’s trot’
Naden- Unwanted. Overrated.
Max King- Just low level moneyball squad fill player
Burns- Just low level moneyball squad fill player
Cooks-Just low level moneyball squad fill player

Then keen in mind during this time we have subtracted:
Cotric- powerhouse winger
Meaney - Bdogs Player of the year last year
Everyone's laughing at nasheed but most of this is correct. Except the cotric comment. Getting rid of him was the right thing to do.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Our recruitment has been overhyped purely because of the volume of players coming in. The quality and general balance of the team is still very much a work in progress.

As others have said most players we have signed are good players that couldn’t make first grade at their previous clubs.

Our squad is about a 12th place finish squad. I believe that’s where we will finish also. The main obstacle isn’t the team itself that takes the field. It’s the tactics, game plan and style that they play with. At the moment this is way off where it needs to be.
I think our form is the overhyped thing considering who beat us the last month and where we are at in the rebuild.

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone's laughing at nasheed but most of this is correct. Except the cotric comment. Getting rid of him was the right thing to do.
If was from a cap management perspective but not from a on field performance perspective if that makes sense. It contributed to our player dearth

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We also had a coach that implemented the right game plan as well.

2009 - Moore actually had a solid game plan with all his recruits and given those recruits were done before SBW did a runner if he had stayed i think we most definitely would've beaten Parra in the Prelim final

2012 - This is where we really need to focus on the coach, Moore became stagnant and we replaced him with Hasler and the result is astronomical. We went from just missing the 8 to taking out the minor premiership and making the Grand Final with exactly the same squad.

Barrett's inability was highlighted at the Eagles when we had a premiership level squad and had them underachieve incredibly badly. Barrett needs to go back to being an assistant, he isn't cut out as a head coach

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
agree long way to go. We were all over souths until the sin binning.
Saying that, Friday is a crucial game for the year, stating the obvious
Agreed. Its pretty obvious we have improved.

Just not as much as people had hoped

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Adding Stuart, Clyde and D Smith to a side that made the Grand Final should have netted better results.
Was 99 the year Sticky try assisted Geyer and the Storm into the GF?

**Edit yep it was that year I didnt read past your post lol I was at that fucking game we couldn't believe it

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unfortunately we have too much money tied up in the wrong players, hence we need to fill the gaps predominately with NSW Cup standard players.

For too long the club has sought to spend big money on players hoping the sugar hit would fix the problem, unfortunately it hasn’t.

Our team just hasn’t gelled. We continually play one-out football, rarely do we let the ball flow and play attacking football. To be honest I’d rather the team’s mistakes come from playing attacking football than the stupid style of football we are currently playing.

Surely nobody is surprised that rubbish players produce rubbish results.

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We would have won the comp that year I reckon if Stuart didn't throw that intercept. We were pretty good that year. Clyde in particular was good for us before his bizarre NSW Origin camp horse riding injury.
Correct me if I’m wrong - it wasn’t an intercept that Stuart threw to Geyer, it was a cross field bomb to the open side with acres of space in front of Geyer and a poor chase…anyway we were up by 2 with 10 to go and it was a poor play from Sticky that cost us the game.