Is Ryan assertive enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night was an absolute joke - at the risk of sounding like a Dragons supporter, Clark nearly cost us the game.

As our captain is Ryan assertive enough when we are getting shafted by the referee?

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is calm and reserved with the coaches

i mean id like for him to be calm with the ref and then fire up his team (Ala Victor Matfield for the Bulls/SA) But at the moment we have him with the Ref who can discuss anything calmly

and Mason to fire up the boys

u can argue with the ref so thats out of the question

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe doesn't fire up the boys as much as mason would but i still see him as a leader.

calcalbull

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
ryans been abit quiet lately when talking about on field performance.

scot

I'll unleash these on you
Reaction score
Ah you all forget these words from Mason

"Its better Andrew Ryan is captain. Bobcat tells the referee what to do, and
I tell the boys what to do".

And seriously, its not like the referee acts like a UN agent. He is dictator, whether we like it or not. They may get dropped to premier league for a bad game, but ultimately that bad decision in the middle of a game can cost us that game. I think Ryan does fine.

Anyway, I've got this whole theory the refs are in cahoots with the Apec organisers, the govt. the Nrl and police to ensure we finish 5th or 6th and have to go to auckland or townsville for the semis so we don't have a game in sydney. So expect more Clarke like performances over the next 2 weeks.

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
i never was a ryan fan as captain..
i always saw mason ar the assertive one in the team..the one to fire up the boys..
but ryan has really grown into the role and i think is doing a great job..
he is like pricey was..
leads on the feild as a doer not a sayer..
off the field he is a great ambasador for the club..

everyone knows there job on the feild...
it aint his job to make them do it

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol

i dont remember him saying it exactly like that... but sounds mason like enough

scot

Reaction score
It was about a year and bit ago, when a journalist asked Willie if he was disappointed to have been overlooked as captain.

Forest Troll

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think Bobcat is a bit passive at times but that's due to the fact that he likes to lead by example.

I always saw Anasta as our future captain/leader. He was afterall the vice captain, not sure why he got shafted in the Grand Final and in 2005 though.

scot

Reaction score
I think because he had been injured and out the previous week in the final against melbourne, and Folkes didn't want him having the burden of having to captain the team as well as try and develop confidence playing with the sternum problem.

I also got the impression that Folkes may have known as early as 04 that Braith wouldn't be with the club after 05. But that is merely hearsay, and can be countered with Braith being made captain for the game against melbourne in melbourne in 05 when Bobcat was on Origin duty, as a ploy to sweeten Braith at the height of contract re-negotiation, and despite Tony Grimaldi who had captained that year already in the team as well.

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cant argue with the referee.

Refs dont change rulings when you see it is a blatant bad call on the video replay.

If they dont change it then why would they change it for a player arguing with them about it.

They'd just penalise him.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
i like ryan as captain...his calm when he's talkin to the ref...can you imagine mason "talkin" to a ref lol...that why i leave the way things are

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
if Mase was captain he'd give away a few penalties a game 4 back chat haha, Ryan deserves the cappy role

riomhach

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ryan's doing a great job and knows how to deal with the ref.

H

harryharris

Ryan is the man. But he is allowed to ask the ref questions. We were caught offside 3 times early against The Broncos. He shoud have asked the ref to keep an eye on The Broncos line aswell. With Ryan and Mason out there we have the best of both worlds.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Fcat is that Ryan is more of a Quiet Had worker for the Team. He makes Impacts in the Game which aren't usually noticed until the Game is Reviewed. He gians some Metres & is some what of a Play Maker sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.