Opinion Is rugby league dying?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon there’s more to it than just the rule changes. The NRL are obviously trying to shield themselves from future NFL style lawsuits based on concussions that cost the NFL $500m which would bankrupt the NRL (some may say good but it could be the end of the game in Australia - be careful what you wish for).

We obviously don’t want it to become touch or OzTag but the reality is anything above the shoulders can no longer be accepted for medical and legal reasons.

On top of that Australia is a different place today it was 20+ years ago - not only in terms of demographics but interests. I hardly see anyone wearing footy gear these days unless it’s enroute to or at a game. In the past it was far more common to see people out and about wearing their team’s kit. We have everything at our fingertips today - it’s just too easy for people to not bother going to games and to turn Netflix on straight after the game. Footy is caught in the battle for share of wallet and time.

I also reckon the next broadcast deal will result in less revenue. For years the NRL pushed the price up but now the media companies would have some strong arguments to pay less going forward.

So yeah, the game has some big challenges that the brass are going to have to work hard to ensure things don’t deteriorate further. For now I’ll say the game is under observation for a HIA (How Interesting Assessment) but I don’t think it’s ready for retirement or on life support - at this stage.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anyone catch highlights of Melb/Adelaide game. Gee the atmosphere was electric and they had a huge upset to add interest to their comp.

AFL crowds are huge and not affected by loss of interest.

Their media don't bag the hell out of it. Take the game off 9 and Fox and get rid of the ex player shock jock commentators.

NRL have to be so careful and get it all right bc AFL coming to get them and using head knocks as a recruiting tool against us.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've been saying for years that Rugby league is dying, Every business on the verge of going under tries to grabs at straws in a desperate attempt to survive.
The games Administrates are making rule at an ever increasing rate, this has to be proof that they are grabbing at straws.
Name me another code which needs constant rule changes for it's survival.
AFL

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone catch highlights of Melb/Adelaide game. Gee the atmosphere was electric and they had a huge upset to add interest to their comp.

AFL crowds are huge and not affected by loss of interest.

Their media don't bag the hell out of it. Take the game off 9 and Fox and get rid of the ex player shock jock commentators.

NRL have to be so careful and get it all right bc AFL coming to get them and using head knocks as a recruiting tool against us.
remember that the AFL didn't have any crowds in Melbourne last year so that made a huge difference.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon there’s more to it than just the rule changes. The NRL are obviously trying to shield themselves from future NFL style lawsuits based on concussions that cost the NFL $500m which would bankrupt the NRL (some may say good but it could be the end of the game in Australia - be careful what you wish for).

We obviously don’t want it to become touch or OzTag but the reality is anything above the shoulders can no longer be accepted for medical and legal reasons.

On top of that Australia is a different place today it was 20+ years ago - not only in terms of demographics but interests. I hardly see anyone wearing footy gear these days unless it’s enroute to or at a game. In the past it was far more common to see people out and about wearing their team’s kit. We have everything at our fingertips today - it’s just too easy for people to not bother going to games and to turn Netflix on straight after the game. Footy is caught in the battle for share of wallet and time.

I also reckon the next broadcast deal will result in less revenue. For years the NRL pushed the price up but now the media companies would have some strong arguments to pay less going forward.

So yeah, the game has some big challenges that the brass are going to have to work hard to ensure things don’t deteriorate further. For now I’ll say the game is under observation for a HIA (How Interesting Assessment) but I don’t think it’s ready for retirement or on life support - at this stage.
the voice of reason right here....

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Nice pickup CD.

Why do kids want to play a sport - to pretend to be their boyhood heros.

As a "I've already drunk too many beers" exercise - was curious how may close games there have been this year. 19 games of six or less was the winning score out of 88.

Completely randomly, checked 2000 (think it was a good year but had the millennium bug so remember f'all), 25 games.

What was different is if I make it 10 or less - its closer to 40 games in 2000 (out of 88). In 2021, the # climbs to a spectacular 25. Not completely sure, couldn't be f'kd adding it up again.

Kids don't want to watch their heros be bitch slapped. Make the f'kn comp even v'landys - instead of giving a free fckn ride to the storm etc. year in year out. Need another beer - rant over

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All heavy body contact team sports will struggle
100% this. Contact sports will struggle to change and retain their identity and as a result will struggle to survive. I'll be surprised if Rugby League is still played in 20 years time and if it is, what it will look like.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
100% this. Contact sports will struggle to change and retain their identity and as a result will struggle to survive. I'll be surprised if Rugby League is still played in 20 years time and if it is, what it will look like.
How will boxing fare? No head shots?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To borrow from Mark Twain: The reports of Rugby League's death are greatly exaggerated.

Numbers are down, but its hardly terminal. Off the top of my head (so apologies) these would be some contributing factors:

Finance - organised sport is getting more and more expensive. When i played junior sports it was like $20 for the season.
Parents - so many more are not working 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. When i was a kid, the whole town shut down at 12pm Saturday and didn't reopen until Monday. My father, no matter how much overtime he was doing, would make my games on Saturday afternoons, even if he went straight from his factory job in his grey uniform stinking to high heaven of grime and sweat. I would imagine clubs are struggling more and more to get volunteers for canteens, coaching, transport etc. Also, when we were kids, often got ourselves to training or weekend sports on our bikes (admittedly this was in the bush), but are parents letting their kids do that anymore?
Demographics - Has anyone been to Parramatta in the past few years?
Technology/Physical Space - Don't underestimate the fact that yards are getting smaller, kids are being raised in apartments, and spending more time in front of screens.
Competition - There is just do much more competition for kids weekend activities than there used to be. Not just Aussie Rules and soccer, but a lot of less common sports and activities. My 10 year old nephew who is a big unit and might make a good front rower, is playing Aussie Rules and doing Muay Thai despite his physique probably not being suited to either. Many of these alternatives are seen as being less "rough", particularly for Mums. Mothers arguably overall have the biggest influence on what their sons play on weekends (and their daughters for that matter). Some of the recent scandals probably aren't helping the situation on that front either.

Last edited:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Change is inevitable.
Society has changed and opened up to so much more on offer.
Change isnt a bad thing but
Watching current NRL games, the culmination of many rule changes in the last couple of years, Im just not enjoying it as I once did.
I dont find origin as entertaining as it once was (thats with taking last years origin out of the equation).
Cant stand ch9 anymore, its just unbearable with Joey, Gallan, Freddy Gus etc. Gus is smart, can only assume he had something to do with Penriths form now, I just cant stand his commentary and blues bias. Thats coming from a blues supporter. Dont mind Sterlo and Slater.
Im thinking of cancelling Kayo. I only got it watch the Dogs play every week and to watch a couple of other games, no other sports.
I only watched our game this weekend as I just wasnt interested due to the officiating.
Can always listen on Grandstand.
So just my thoughts as a fan of Rugby League for many years.
Im losing interest thats for sure and its about how best to spend my time.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
To borrow from Mark Twain: The reports of Rugby League's death are greatly exaggerated.

Numbers are down, but its hardly terminal. Off the top of my head (so apologies) these would be some contributing factors:

Finance - organised sport is getting more and more expensive. When i played junior sports it was like $20 for the season.
Parents - so many more are not working 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. When i was a kid, the whole town shut down at 12pm Saturday and didn't reopen until Monday. My father, no matter how much overtime he was doing, would make my games on Saturday afternoons, even if he went straight from his factory job in his grey uniform stinking to high heaven of rime and sweat. I would imagine clubs are struggling more and more to get volunteers for canteens, coaching, transport etc. Also, when we were kids, often got ourselves to training or weekend sports on our bikes (admittedly this was in the bush), but are parents letting their kids do that anymore?
Demographics - Has anyone been to Parramatta in the past few years?
Technology/Physical Space - Don't underestimate the fact that yards are getting smaller, kids are being raised in apartments, and spending more time in front of screens.
Competition - There is just do much more competition for kids weekend activities than there used to be. Not just Aussie Rules and soccer, but a lot of less common sports and activities. My 10 year old nephew who is a big unit and might make a good front rower, is playing Aussie Rules and doing Muay Thai despite his physique probably not being suited to either. Many of these alternatives are seen as being less "rough", particularly for Mums. Mothers arguably overall have the biggest influence on what their sons play on weekends (and their daughters for that matter). Some of the recent scandals probably aren't helping the situation on that front either.

I think those 5 are bigger factors than any recent rules changes TBH.
You touched on a factor close to my heart.

Mums and women involved in rugby league.

League is so far behind AFL in bringing females into their game.

AFL is making huge inroads I believe and that will become even more evident in 10 years time after this recent crack down is highlighted, videos re-run on TV over and over. Its going to put even more mothers off league by the time their boys and girls are 10 from what they see on the news now.

Would there be any other sport in the World who has journos and tv admin that demonises itself like Rugby League?

There's no talking up of the players or game, its just controversy and smut gossip and highlighting injuries. Portraying players as thugs.

On the other hand AFL players are portrayed as prime Aussie males with athletic skill and endurance.

Anyway back to female participation.

Rugby League is a backwards sport regarding female inclusion and not that many women are involved, or want to admit to it, in the general population of NSW or Qld from my experience....If you dont have the mums and girlfriends heavily invested in the game, you wont have their future children involved either. Times have changed.

On the other hand, AFL participation of women is encouraged. In Qld we have hoards of Victorians moving here and its not uncommon to be invited to several AFL Grand Final parties...or even big games their teams are playing in, at an afternoon get together, "all organised by the women" who are fanatical supporters and they don't feel ashamed to show they support of what was predominantly a male sport until AFLW

That is something very different than female support in league.

I'm not saying females aren't encouraged to get involved in league, other than be Secretary of the local club or canteen helpers... but I have no doubt that AFL are smarter Administrators of their game and know how important females are to the ongoing success of their sport.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score

AFL is making huge inroads I believe and that will become even more evident in 10 years time after this recent crack down is highlighted, videos re-run on TV over and over. Its going to put even more mothers off league by the time their boys and girls are 10 from what they see on the news now.

Would there be any other sport in the World who has journos and tv admin that demonises itself like Rugby League?

There's no talking up of the players or game, its just controversy and smut gossip and highlighting injuries. Portraying players as thugs.

On the other hand AFL players are portrayed as prime Aussie males with athletic skill and endurance.

Rugby League is a backwards sport regarding female inclusion and not that many women are involved, or want to admit to it, in the general population of NSW or Qld from my experience....If you dont have the mums and girlfriends heavily invested in the game, you wont have their future children involved either. Times have changed.

On the other hand, AFL participation of women is encouraged. In Qld we have hoards of Victorians moving here and its not uncommon to be invited to several AFL Grand Final parties...or even big games their teams are playing in, at an afternoon get together, "all organised by the women" who are fanatical supporters and they don't feel ashamed to show they support of what was predominantly a male sport until AFLW

I'm not saying females aren't encouraged to get involved in league, other than be Secretary of the local club or canteen helpers... but I have no doubt that AFL are smarter Administrators of their game and know how important females are to the ongoing success of their sport.
Well written and probably should be sent to RL admin. The only problem with league is it is a more heavy contact sport and so the new normal is to have these big thuggish looking blokes playing because they are good at it. My missus doesn’t really care about either sport but she has said the AFL players are very different looking to the NRL (I get it she thinks the AFL guys are more her type) so NRL will always struggle to not be seen as a bloke sport although maybe something can be said for the Newtown Jets because they have worked a formula where the boys go and watch the footy and the girls come to sit in the park have a catch up with their friends and come with their babies kids children and little dogs talk shit have a few beers a sausage sizzle and just a nice afternoon out in the sun. Everyone has fun and in doing that the brand actually means something to the woman that come along. Maybe there is something in that way of building fans that wouldnt usually care and strong connections to the game

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

My firm sponsors a local AFL women's team. I had nothing to do with grassroots sports in QLD before this (my kids are still a bit young), and i'm just not into the sport itself, but from this involvement and further discussions with people, i'm impressed with the overall organisation of the sport. From the AFL down to park footy, its all very coordinated and, to use that dreaded word: inclusive. Would be interesting to see participation numbers for kids in Aussie Rules v League here in SE QLD.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well written and probably should be sent to RL admin. The only problem with league is it is a more heavy contact sport and so the new normal is to have these big thuggish looking blokes playing because they are good at it. My missus doesn’t really care about either sport but she has said the AFL players are very different looking to the NRL (I get it she thinks the AFL guys are more her type) so NRL will always struggle to not be seen as a bloke sport although maybe something can be said for the Newtown Jets because they have worked a formula where the boys go and watch the footy and the girls come to sit in the park have a catch up with their friends and come with their babies kids children and little dogs talk shit have a few beers a sausage sizzle and just a nice afternoon out in the sun. Everyone has fun and in doing that the brand actually means something to the woman that come along. Maybe there is something in that way of building fans that wouldnt usually care and strong connections to the game
It's def a factor. League is just not marketed for present day family or social life.

Yes diehards are still there and here prob :grinning: and probably think its all bs but league has problems they need to fix.

AFL tv presentation is a stark contrast to league. You get decent analysis of games.

Its like watching some poor amateur hour show of mumblers up against a slick, professional, well presented sports show.

I can't stand the game. It's nonsensical, like union, to me but you can't help but be impressed with the whole set up and the crowd participation and the "event" they foster.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My firm sponsors a local AFL women's team. I had nothing to do with grassroots sports in QLD before this (my kids are still a bit young), and i'm just not into the sport itself, but from this involvement and further discussions with people, i'm impressed with the overall organisation of the sport. From the AFL down to park footy, its all very coordinated and, to use that dreaded word: inclusive. Would be interesting to see participation numbers for kids in Aussie Rules v League here in SE QLD.
They are making huge inroads and it will be seen in a few years.

I was watching a sports show and their journalists are talking about all of league's head knocks....for one reason!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Change is inevitable.
Society has changed and opened up to so much more on offer.
Change isnt a bad thing but
Watching current NRL games, the culmination of many rule changes in the last couple of years, Im just not enjoying it as I once did.
I dont find origin as entertaining as it once was (thats with taking last years origin out of the equation).
Cant stand ch9 anymore, its just unbearable with Joey, Gallan, Freddy Gus etc. Gus is smart, can only assume he had something to do with Penriths form now, I just cant stand his commentary and blues bias. Thats coming from a blues supporter. Dont mind Sterlo and Slater.
Im thinking of cancelling Kayo. I only got it watch the Dogs play every week and to watch a couple of other games, no other sports.
I only watched our game this weekend as I just wasnt interested due to the officiating.
Can always listen on Grandstand.
So just my thoughts as a fan of Rugby League for many years.
Im losing interest thats for sure and its about how best to spend my time.
You could wait a week & watch it online. The NRL put games up about a week after they have been played. Not the same adrenalin hit (at least that I used to have when I thought we had a chance to win games) but still can watch.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You could wait a week & watch it online. The NRL put games up about a week after they have been played. Not the same adrenalin hit (at least that I used to have when I thought we had a chance to win games) but still can watch.
Cheers

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's def a factor. League is just not marketed for present day family or social life.

Yes diehards are still there and here prob :grinning: and probably think its all bs but league has problems they need to fix.

AFL tv presentation is a stark contrast to league. You get decent analysis of games.

Its like watching some poor amateur hour show of mumblers up against a slick, professional, well presented sports show.

I can't stand the game. It's nonsensical, like union, to me but you can't help but be impressed with the whole set up and the crowd participation and the "event" they foster.
Moved up from Melbourne a number of years ago.
Was always impressed with the love and professionalism of AFL.
I too dont care for the sport. I lived in country VIC for a while aswell and AFL is very healthy in smaller communities and towns.
There is a healthy resistance to messing with the game down there as apposed to all the changes constantly with NRL.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Moved up from Melbourne a number of years ago.
Was always impressed with the love and professionalism of AFL.
I too dont care for the sport. I lived in country VIC for a while aswell and AFL is very healthy in smaller communities and towns.
There is a healthy resistance to messing with the game down there as apposed to all the changes constantly with NRL.
Vast majority of the changes have not been necessary.

If they had clamped down on the coaches who manipulated the existing rules, then the product would still essentially be the great game it was to begin with...with just small changes to facilitate the evolution of fitter, stronger players.

Its just too nit picky now.

I cant stand the rule of 2 guys jump for the kick on the try line. The attacking player gets it but in the tussle the ball goes into the opposition players chest. Its called a knock on with 10 camera angles and super slo mo.

Its rubbish. He didnt lose the ball on the ground so play on. It completely robs the game of exciting moments.

AFL avoids those dumb moments and doesn't eat it's own with a flurry like NRLol.