Is Pay anywhere near as smart as Trent Robinson ?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Robbo coached the Catalan Dragons in 2011 and 2012 and had a 59% winning percentage and took them from 3rd last in 2010 to top 4 in 2011. He took over from Kevin Walters who with the same squad could only manage a 37% winning percentage. Robbo was named coach of the year in ESL in 2011 and he is, without a doubt, the best defensive coach in Rugby League.
I don't really take much notice of ESL achievements. He has made the most of having loaded rosters at the Chooks so he deserves credit for that.

I think it would be very interesting to see him go to a basket case club and see what happened.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't really take much notice of ESL achievements. He has made the most of having loaded rosters at the Chooks so he deserves credit for that.

I think it would be very interesting to see him go to a basket case club and see what happened.
I think you're undervaluing what he accomplished at the Dragons. They were a basket case under Walters and Robbo turned them into a force to be reckoned with and he based that on defence just as he did as the defensive coach of the Roosters (2010) and again when he returned in 2013.

And now he's developed and refined a defensive system that leaks 12-15 points per game during the regular season and over the last two years playing 6 finals games against the other top 4 teams, his defensive system only leaks 6.8 points per game. You can't buy defence attitude like that, it has to be coached into them. Our first real hit out against St Helens last weekend we leaked 1 try for 78 minutes. He's doing ok imo.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you're undervaluing what he accomplished at the Dragons. They were a basket case under Walters and Robbo turned them into a force to be reckoned with and he based that on defence just as he did as the defensive coach of the Roosters (2010) and again when he returned in 2013.

And now he's developed and refined a defensive system that leaks 12-15 points per game during the regular season and over the last two years playing 6 finals games against the other top 4 teams, his defensive system only leaks 6.8 points per game. You can't buy defence attitude like that, it has to be coached into them. Our first real hit out against St Helens last weekend we leaked 1 try for 78 minutes. He's doing ok imo.
It's a hell of a lot easier to install an attitude like that with the players he has at his disposal. Maybe I am undervaluing his achievement at the Dragons if he did something similar in the NRL it would be more impressive though.

He could very well go to a basket case and turn them into a premiership force but at the minute he's always going to have questions over whether he could.

Robinson has had experienced rosters filled with rep players in their prime from the minute he walked in the door at the Roosters it certainly makes coaching easier for him.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a hell of a lot easier to install an attitude like that with the players he has at his disposal. Maybe I am undervaluing his achievement at the Dragons if he did something similar in the NRL it would be more impressive though.

He could very well go to a basket case and turn them into a premiership force but at the minute he's always going to have questions over whether he could.

Robinson has had experienced rosters filled with rep players in their prime from the minute he walked in the door at the Roosters it certainly makes coaching easier for him.
No argument. But along with that he's taken quite a few 'also rans' and turned them into rep players, Issac Liu, Siua Tukeiaho, Tetevano, Victor Radley (future), Joey Manu, Latrell Mitchell and Lindsay Collins will be a SOO rep within a year or two.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
it's all well and good to say "yeah, well how would he go with a shit squad", but the best teams with the best budgets target who they see as the best coaches. A top coach like Robinson or Bellamy aren't going to go the the Titans "for the challenge".

There are exceptions of course, but often coaches looking to curt their teeth will end up at the also rans to start their career. Some prove their mettle, but most will burn. I think Adam O'Brien is the current coach to watch - former Storm assistant, with a a squad on the up.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck Robbo. Any coach could win a Comp witn their team, when you have Ryan hall and Morris last year in reserves it makes you think wtf? Every player on their team would walk into any nrl squad . One day the truth will come out and hope it’s soon.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's all well and good to say "yeah, well how would he go with a shit squad", but the best teams with the best budgets target who they see as the best coaches. A top coach like Robinson or Bellamy aren't going to go the the Titans "for the challenge".

There are exceptions of course, but often coaches looking to curt their teeth will end up at the also rans to start their career. Some prove their mettle, but most will burn. I think Adam O'Brien is the current coach to watch - former Storm assistant, with a a squad on the up.
Justin Holbrook is another I'm keen to see how he goes.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Holbrook gets the Titans firing it would look far better on his coaching resume than premierships with a stacked roster.
Disagree. As it was discussed in the "if we have another bad start to the year" thread, improvement in a team can be very subjective, winning is the only thing that matters in sport.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Disagree. As it was discussed in the "if we have another bad start to the year" thread, improvement in a team can be very subjective, winning is the only thing that matters in sport.
Winning a premiership is ultimately the best feeling. But knowing that you punched above your weight in a competition also offers an immense measure of satisfaction. So if Holbrook was to take the same team that has been struggling for a long while and pushes them one or two rounds into the finals, it will be like a cyclist getting on the podium of a motorbike race to their fans. In time he'll have the chance to improve the roster. But for the moment he will raise his market value by getting his squad to overachieve.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Robbo coached the Catalan Dragons in 2011 and 2012 and had a 59% winning percentage and took them from 3rd last in 2010 to top 4 in 2011. He took over from Kevin Walters who with the same squad could only manage a 37% winning percentage. Robbo was named coach of the year in ESL in 2011 and he is, without a doubt, the best defensive coach in Rugby League.
Don't get me wrong I think Robinson is a fair coach, better that Walters, easily IMHO. But the devil is in the detail, in 2011 Robinson added 12 players compared to the 2010 team, so hardly "the same squad". The likes of Blanche (Irish international), Dureau (signed from the Knights, 237 points, the #1 goal kicker), Farrar (ex Manly, Andrew's nephew), Henderson (ex Roosters, Scottish international) , Paea (signed from the Roosters, Tongan international) , Menzies (yes Steve Menzies, he scored 14 tries that year), Pelissier (French International), Millard (ex Bulldog, Fiji international), Baitieri (signed from the Roosters, French international) and Pala (Tigers, French international). Catalans have never been really short of decent budget, note this year's team includes Maloney, Folau, Drinkwater, Casty, Moa, 2 x Tomkins and our very own Kasiano.

It would be very easy to argue that Catalans bought in enough quality players in 2011 (and 2012) to make a difference, no matter who the coach was.

Go Dogs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I think Robinson is a fair coach, better that Walters, easily IMHO. But the devil is in the detail, in 2011 Robinson added 12 players compared to the 2010 team, so hardly "the same squad". The likes of Blanche (Irish international), Dureau (signed from the Knights, 237 points, the #1 goal kicker), Farrar (ex Manly, Andrew's nephew), Henderson (ex Roosters, Scottish international) , Paea (signed from the Roosters, Tongan international) , Menzies (yes Steve Menzies, he scored 14 tries that year), Pelissier (French International), Millard (ex Bulldog, Fiji international), Baitieri (signed from the Roosters, French international) and Pala (Tigers, French international). Catalans have never been really short of decent budget, note this year's team includes Maloney, Folau, Drinkwater, Casty, Moa, 2 x Tomkins and our very own Kasiano.

It would be very easy to argue that Catalans bought in enough quality players in 2011 (and 2012) to make a difference, no matter who the coach was.

Go Dogs
Fair points. I would argue he turned us around as we finished 11th in 2011 and 13th in 2012 and we were heading backwards under Smith.

I can safely say this, if he wins us 3 in a row with a GF win over lol@souffs, I'll throw a pot party the likes of which not even god would dare to miss.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brains behind the Roosters success is Craig Fitzgibbon, not Robinson. Just ask the players.
Sorry I don't agree; Jack Gibson once said that the best coaches were coaches who were the best recruiters, so I'd give all the credit to Nick Politis and the brown paper bags.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
This guy could coach that team at the Roosters to a GF

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Let's see how Robinson goes with a team that's not rorting the cap.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair points. I would argue he turned us around as we finished 11th in 2011 and 13th in 2012 and we were heading backwards under Smith.
Do you really want me to do it again with the Chooks 2013 team upgrades that make any comparison to 2011/2012 teams meaningless? Oh, OK, but only because you asked nicely, the 2013 recruits (I think most will need no introduction);
MJennings, JMaloney, SMoa, SBW (yes, that one), LO'Donnell, MOldfield, ILiu, DNapa (that's a familiar name), SLangi and I would add DTupou to the list as he only played a couple of games at the end of 2012. Plus RTS who only played 6 games in 2012. At my count that's 10 international/SOO representative level players added in the ONE YEAR. Is there any wonder that the Chooks went just a little bit better in 2013 than they did in 2011 and 2012.

I know it's tuff, being a one eyed supporter (I'm one too), to see what the real story is with our teams, but seriously that year of 2013, the quality and shear number of players recruited plus the money spent to achieve it is the reason why Robinson's 1st year credentials will always be questioned. Followed very closely by the subsequent years with similar or even greater talent at his disposal.

Go Dogs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really want me to do it again with the Chooks 2013 team upgrades that make any comparison to 2011/2012 teams meaningless? Oh, OK, but only because you asked nicely, the 2013 recruits (I think most will need no introduction);
MJennings, JMaloney, SMoa, SBW (yes, that one), LO'Donnell, MOldfield, ILiu, DNapa (that's a familiar name), SLangi and I would add DTupou to the list as he only played a couple of games at the end of 2012. Plus RTS who only played 6 games in 2012. At my count that's 10 international/SOO representative level players added in the ONE YEAR. Is there any wonder that the Chooks went just a little bit better in 2013 than they did in 2011 and 2012.

I know it's tuff, being a one eyed supporter (I'm one too), to see what the real story is with our teams, but seriously that year of 2013, the quality and shear number of players recruited plus the money spent to achieve it is the reason why Robinson's 1st year credentials will always be questioned. Followed very closely by the subsequent years with similar or even greater talent at his disposal.

Go Dogs
You've engaged in a fair bit of hyperbole there as only Jennings, SBW, Moa and O'Donnell were international/SOO level players at that time. So as far as the other 6 go, they became international/SOO level players as part of the Roosters squad.

And to further downplay that recruitment, Jennings was unwanted at Penrith, Moa had only represented Tonga at that time, O'Donnell was in the ESL and SBW hadn't played League for 5 years. So our recruitment for 2013 is not as impressive as you're trying to make it.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Roosters leaked 576 points in 2016, 4th worst in the comp. Even during our shitty years under Hasler with our half decent roster, our defence was still pretty solid and never finished the top four in points conceded.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters leaked 576 points in 2016, 4th worst in the comp. Even during our shitty years under Hasler with our half decent roster, our defence was still pretty solid and never finished the top four in points conceded.
2016? 2016?...nah not ringing a bell. :innocent:

Yeah fair enough it was shit that year.