Is Pay anywhere near as smart as Trent Robinson ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch this game analysis by Trent Robinson. I hope I'm wrong but I can't really imagine Dean Pay breaking down a game / determining what players should and should not be doing as technically as Robinson.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/feca7d33c0247ea4a2df7ff1816aca05

A master at work: Trent Robinson’s in-depth analysis of Roosters World Club Challenge win over St Helens
NRL PREMIERSHIP

• February 25, 2020 4:53pm
  • by GEORGE CLARKE
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Trent Robinson relives the Roosters’ World Club Challenge victory.Source: FOX SPORTS
Trent Robinson has developed a reputation as arguably the greatest coach of the last decade.

Three premierships and as many World Club Challenge titles since 2013, puts the Roosters coach in rarefied territory.

LIVE stream the 2020 NRL pre-season Trials with KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Robbo breaks down game-tape

4:10
Round 1

1. Bankwest Stadium
    Mar 12 2020
    7:35PM

Visit Match Centre

2. GIO Stadium
    Mar 13 2020
    5:30PM

Visit Match Centre

3. Queensland Country Bank Stadium
    Mar 13 2020
    7:35PM

Visit Match Centre

4. McDonald Jones Stadium
    Mar 14 2020
    2:30PM

Visit Match Centre

5. ANZ Stadium
    Mar 14 2020
    5:00PM

Visit Match Centre

6. Panthers Stadium
    Mar 14 2020
    7:05PM

Visit Match Centre

7. Lottoland
    Mar 15 2020
    3:35PM

Visit Match Centre

8. WIN Stadium
    Mar 15 2020
    5:45PM

Visit Match Centre
The bit-part NRL player has enjoyed an unorthodox journey to the top of the coaching world.

And after adding a third World Club title to his growing list of honours, Robinson offered incredible in-depth analysis into how the Roosters beat St Helens on Sunday.

Picking apart his team’s defensive frailties and attacking prowess, Robinson joined Sky Sports’ Jon Wells to talk about the good, the bad and the ugly from their win over the Saints.

MORE NRL NEWS

‘AFL WOULD BE ALL OVER IT’: Icon says league is shooting itself in the foot. Again.

CASUALTY WARD: The NRL stars racing the clock for Round 1

POACHING RAID: Titans join race to lure boom Broncos star Fifita on $3.2m deal

“I feel like I’m in the trench, I still like we’re still fighting for my best and the team’s best,” Robinson said.

“I’m interested in the play in the next couple of years - how can I as a coach and as a coaching group take this group of players [forward]?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He has coached 200 more first grade games than Deano so that's a no-brainer

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meh.... He finished second last in 2016 when RTS went to the Warriors. None of the greatest coaches of the modern era have finished second last eg, Hasler, Bennett,Bellamy, etc. Swap the Roosters 2018-19 squad with our and pay would be a double premiship winner too. He's just lucky to have good players, the real supercoach is uncle Nick and their recruitment team.

He's just another Ricky Stuart imo.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see Robinson truly tested away from the Roosters. He has had a rails run in his career and the only year he had major disruptions he almost picked up the spoon.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd love to see Robinson truly tested away from the Roosters. He has had a rails run in his career and the only year he had major disruptions he almost picked up the spoon.
I reckon he's gonna get found out again this year minus Mitchell, Cronk and if young Flanagan doesn't kick on. The fraud must be praying that they pick up Xerri and Addo-Carr soon and that Keary doesn't suffer another head knock.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
See how he goes without a 12 million dollar roster

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
See how he goes without a 12 million dollar roster
He's going to get comments like that, just like QLD SoO coaches used to also get ("my grandmother could coach that side!"), but clearly Robinson is no mug. Even with all of the budget in the world, you still need to get the best out of the squad.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yea, Robinson’s a genius. The fact that he’s had a team worth $20m every year he’s ever coached has nothing to do with his success?
My border collie could coach the roosters to a premiership.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The brains behind the Roosters success is Craig Fitzgibbon, not Robinson. Just ask the players.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's pretty pointless making comparisons. Phil Gould is pretty good at analysis of games that have been played. But his only real coaching success came from his time with a well drilled Bulldogs squad early in his career. Wayne Bennett was seen as a super coach until he was tested with squads that weren't over stocked with talent. The Hasler myth was dispelled by the fact that he struggled to go further than preliminary finals when he was missing a good hooker.

So basing judgement of coaches on a video of the analysis of a single game is pretty much useless in judging the measure of intelligence of another coach.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Silly question lol. But then again If I am to stick up for my clubs coach, then give Trent a team not full of massive money superstars an see how he gets on, the rorters pretty much coach themselves, he just takes the credit.!!!!!!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While it certainly makes it easier with a stacked team, plenty of stacked teams haven’t won the big dance.

St Merge, Donks and Parra, looking at you as examples

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
T Robinson obviously an astute coach with a high footy IQ and obviously his players trust him

The elephant in the room is he has a star studded roster from the get and no expense spared to develop a winning side

Also he has friends in high places and can literally go after any player on the planet and 9/10 will get him

That one time he doesn’t get his man he will settle for the next best player

So I’m a bit divided in his status as an elite coach , a good coach but it’s a bit like that rich kid that comes from wealthy family, it ain’t his fault but he still privileged

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robinson seems smart and seems to have his players switched on when its needed......BUTTTTTT i think i could have coached a premiership with that team

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope pay proves his worth this year and kicks on.. and in years to come we are comparing other coaches to our premiership winning coach.!!! Now imagine that. and trust me, we all want pay to succeed and take us to the top. Would be awesome!!!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope pay proves his worth this year and kicks on.. and in years to come we are comparing other coaches to our premiership winning coach.!!! Now imagine that. and trust me, we all want pay to succeed and take us to the top. Would be awesome!!!
Don't know about premiership but I think Dean is going to at least get us back to being a regular finals side.. I admit the attack needs work but that will also come down to who he plays in the halves, and who we potentially recruit to replace the cripple.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Silly question lol. But then again If I am to stick up for my clubs coach, then give Trent a team not full of massive money superstars an see how he gets on, the rorters pretty much coach themselves, he just takes the credit.!!!!!!

would love to have see how Trent or Bellyache, or even Wayne would have faired with the 2019 team Deano had, in only their second year of first grade coaching

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbo coached the Catalan Dragons in 2011 and 2012 and had a 59% winning percentage and took them from 3rd last in 2010 to top 4 in 2011. He took over from Kevin Walters who with the same squad could only manage a 37% winning percentage. Robbo was named coach of the year in ESL in 2011 and he is, without a doubt, the best defensive coach in Rugby League.