Is it time to give Cook a shot?

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
JMK does not have the pass width that the other good hookers have. A wide pass gives the halves space, i think this is why we use a lock to distribute so often. BBO threw a couple of wide passes straight to the halves yesterday but he does try to overplay his hand a little. I also think JMK was hooked yesterday?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
About time. JMK has proved he isn't the dummy half we need to succeed. The sooner we start playing our best options, the happier we will be

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cook is junk

JMK to see out the season before Mahoney's arrival

Hopefully Baz is gone by than also

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
JMK is a big reason why our attack is the way it is. Cook should be given a go if he's ready.

I was impressed with his stint in the trial, for anyone who has been following NSW cup, how is his form? Does he have good defense?
I agree I think our biggest issue is the number 9 not 7. Jmk service has been putrid, slow and clunky I think we should give cook a go as long as he has been performing in reserve grade.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
JMK is our biggest problem, while Averillo has been copping a lot of the flack for the attack it all stems from service at DH. What are the halves meant to do when by the time JMK delivers the ball there's already 3 defenders in your face

BBO hasn't got the stamina to start and really should be going back to the reggies to get some solid time in the halves, he could potentially be our answer and we are stifling his development at the moment. I also don't see JMK being dropped so it might be better to have Cook take BBO's spot.

Snackdoogie

Waterboy
Reaction score
Have to agree with this post - If you closely watch JMK in attack he has a a real nack of breaking set momentum. He makes the odd dart from dummy half but it ends there. The other night against the storm too many times his indecisiveness lead to a lack of flow. Our sets lack direction the only thing is this year we have better individual talent to get us some metres.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would play Cook at 9, and JMK at 13. He can tackle, and can ball play

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was a JMK supporter.... yesterday about 5 times the ball was played and he wasn’t even looking !!!
This comes back to the halves communicating with him. He is looking to see who gets the ball. Good halves have the runners lined up

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good service is just is one component of a no 9.
* Knowing who to pass to & when. Too many times when attacking, the pass does not go to the correct person.
* at dummy half his feet are set in concrete, rarely moving to the left or right. This not only puts the defense in two minds, but also brings the forwards moving together at pace. This also allows to bypass the forwards with passes to your halves, giving them more time & space. Look how Harry Grant move with ball in hand.
* of course fast crisp service allowing team mates an extra fraction of a second.
* workhorse in defense. JMK gets points plus in this area.
* deception, anticipation & vision are the most valuable qualities of a hooker. That why Cameron Smith lasted so long at the top.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good service is just is one component of a no 9.
* Knowing who to pass to & when. Too many times when attacking, the pass does not go to the correct person.
* at dummy half his feet are set in concrete, rarely moving to the left or right. This not only puts the defense in two minds, but also brings the forwards moving together at pace. This also allows to bypass the forwards with passes to your halves, giving them more time & space. Look how Harry Grant move with ball in hand.
* of course fast crisp service allowing team mates an extra fraction of a second.
* workhorse in defense. JMK gets points plus in this area.
* deception, anticipation & vision are the most valuable qualities of a hooker. That why Cameron Smith lasted so long at the top.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
In games iv seen Cook has been ok but not great. Some poor defence at times.