Is Holdsworth Creative Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOGGYDOGG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Was just watching Shifty playing for Castleford and he was ripping Leeds apart. It's got me questioning if DJ is creative enough. Thoughts?

H

Haztrick

No, but Roberts is. I think Roberts will take over the creativity role, but his only downfall is his kicking game, which can definitely be improved upon and may improved with the help of Joey.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Sherwin carved up because the super league players havent done heaps of defense and reflex training!

once they see how much Sherwin likes to grubber in goal then maybe the poms will spend less time at the pub and more time doing agility,reflex and defensive training

Mighty_Matt

Waterboy
Reaction score
I am still unsure about these halves... I like holdsworth but in all honesty he doesnt have much creativity and roberts...well he plays awesome once every three weeks or so....the consistency isnt there....
Myself Im dying for Groome to come in....and Barber is the most exciting thing I have seen since I saw SBW in our lower grades when he was 16.....problem is Barber as such a young bloke...he might be too small for this year...but gee he excites me!

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
Groom should be half, with Barba given an opportunity at some point
Roberts is good but goes missing when the pressure is on. we need someone to direct us around the park....Maybe Sullivan might end up there...
I think Holdsworth should be somewhere - lock maybe?.He had a boom year in 2006

Mighty_Matt

Waterboy
Reaction score
Can i also add ROberts looked pretty dangerous in teh trial against penrith when he came out of dummy half....my mates and I spoke last year about how good it would be for him to come off teh bench as dummy half he has speed and footwork and without teh pressure of running teh team it might be teh best for him??

Probably wont happen...maybe next year it will eb an option...Hughes retiring (maybe?) and sullivan starting number 9

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
DJ can b very creative, just needs 2 find some consistency

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
holdworth's problem is his consistancy...we've all seen that he can be a damaging player on his day

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Firstly - lol you're talking about the ESL, as though its really difficult to carve up over there.

Secondly - This is not too far off the threads where people want forwards sacked because they're not as hot and spectacular as Sonny Bill.

A football team is not a team of super stars...its a team with many different people...some of them do the tough stuff without any accolades i.e Tony Grimaldi.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
if you turn back the clock 6 years Sherwin was doing for us exactly what he does for Castleford!

the only difference is the NRL coaches clicked onto Sherwins fancy little grubber and trained their teams to prepare them for when he does it

if you watch the last 2 years nearly every team that played the dogs were ready and set for Sherwins 4th and 5th attacking options

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
Was just watching Shifty playing for Castleford and he was ripping Leeds apart. It's got me questioning if DJ is creative enough. Thoughts?
From what I saw of that game, Shifty made some good kicks but his pasisng wasn't great and in reality they aren't as sharp over there and they're also unfamiliar to his style. In general play Shifty is rarely very creative and he's too kick happy. That's great when his kicks are hitting the mark but useless if they aren't. DJ isn't very creative but he can create linebreaks with good passing. He did it numerous times in 06 and carved up linking with Ryan and Tonga. I don't see him as the creative type anyway. His job has to be to keep the basics running smoothly, like finding space with kicks and directing the team around. Hopefully Roberts will be dangerous enough to compensate and at worst, we blood Mr.Groom.

I think people forget how good Roberts truly is/can become. OK so he wasn't consistent last year but in the few games I've watched recently of matches in 07, he did plenty of good things. Good bursts from dummy half. Beating players and running away to score. All he needs is do these things consistently, and with experience and guidance from Joey, I reckon he will. He's still pretty green but because of players like Anasta, SBW and Thurston we expect players to dominate once they mkae FG. Well it's not always the way.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

whoever goes to england rips them apart. the defence is not in your face over there.

SonnyBillJnr

TwoAmostsMakeA[Pε&#1
Reaction score
i was watchin the castleford game last night..
farout shifty carved up..
set up almost all the tries lol

wogdog

Boards Don't Hit Back!
Reaction score
holdsworth isnt a flashy player but he is steady

Smiley

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with the consistency comments. when he is bad he is absolutely dreadful.

A

A_C

Firstly - lol you're talking about the ESL, as though its really difficult to carve up over there.

Secondly - This is not too far off the threads where people want forwards sacked because they're not as hot and spectacular as Sonny Bill.

A football team is not a team of super stars...its a team with many different people...some of them do the tough stuff without any accolades i.e Tony Grimaldi.
this argument only works when the players in question don't control the direction of the team.

Holdsworth is in the halves - he and roberts need to carve up and not rely on hardwork.

I agree with your comments about how people expect every player to be a sonny bill clone. I just don't think that the worker line works for halves who actually need to control where things go.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
this argument only works when the players in question don't control the direction of the team.

Holdsworth is in the halves - he and roberts need to carve up and not rely on hardwork.

I agree with your comments about how people expect every player to be a sonny bill clone. I just don't think that the worker line works for halves who actually need to control where things go.
In terms of a 'worker' half IMO just means Holdsworth can create a steady ship, long probing kicks, give the ball when its needed and take a run when its needed.

He might not pull off something miraculous like Roberts but I like to think that at his best he can to the above.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Till now he hasnt been a damaging half or 5/8, but Roberts can play that role.

Id prefer to see how he goes tomorrow. But if he doesnt go good in the early rounds and Grooms going good in the lower grades, then Groom should definately be given a shot.

Our future in 09 or 10 is definately going to be Groom/Barba if they realise they're potential, so the earlier Groom gets some time in FG the better. When it happens a Groom/Barba combo can potentially be the most creative/damaging combo in the NRL.

Bulldogs50

Justin..
Reaction score
i know what your saying, but you cannot say that about the halves. The team is run around halves (especially the dogs now considering our low personel up front). Halves are there to produce, not stand around the back and do things where people arent going to notice them..

Our halves need to be in the top few players week in week out, and we, as fans, should be able to easily notice that (ie, setting up tries)

sammy08

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i think we all need to give them a lil time together, we have seeen in the past where they have played awesome together, and on other occasions they were dreadful, lets hope they can get some descent game time together and a bit of consistancy and show us what they can both really do on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.