Opinion Is Burton disinterested?

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree, if Burton is in the 6 jumper come round 1, Ciraldo will die on his sword by round 10
The thing is if he dies then the GM will die with him as much as people will protest. He was signed on a crazy contract for an assistant replacing an assistant when there were more capable/experienced coaches applying for the role at the time.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is if he dies then the GM will die with him as much as people will protest. He was signed on a crazy contract for an assistant replacing an assistant when there were more capable/experienced coaches applying for the role at the time.
Burton was signed before CC came here, so I don't think CC will have much hesitation moving Burton out of the halves, if his own job is on the line.

But he really needs to act before the knives are out, coz all he'll achieve then is buy himself alittle more time.

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burton was signed before CC came here, so I don't think CC will have much hesitation moving Burton out of the halves, if his own job is on the line.

But he really needs to act before the knives are out, coz all he'll achieve then is buy himself alittle more time.
He's made Burton "His" boy though. All last year he thinks Burton is the only hope for success. He's got love blinders on massively

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attack is normally structured by the coach, any player overplays his hand means problems for the player, is Mahoney capable to identify weakness in the opposition's defense, is his overcommitment in defence getting him fatigued causing him to il direct our attack, are the halves barking for direction and control of the attack, are we delaying the attack for a second that feels like an eternity for the ball runners making them easy targets, these are questions needs answering...
If we don't make it right soon I'm afraid it will be another long season :anguished:
I wanted to see CC play Mahoney for 25 mins or so then replace him, before bringing him back later in second half. That's how I saw this year going with all these utilities, yet CC used him for something like 65 mins straight then gave him the night off. Maybe he was trying to increase his game fitness, but i think it would have been helpful to see if that improved his game

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wanted to see CC play Mahoney for 25 mins or so then replace him, before bringing him back later in second half. That's how I saw this year going with all these utilities, yet CC used him for something like 65 mins straight then gave him the night off. Maybe he was trying to increase his game fitness, but i think it would have been helpful to see if that improved his game
IMO, in attack Mahoney needs to release the ball quicker to the halves to give them more time, in defence to tire him he is naturally targeted by big forwards running at him in order to make less effective in attack, the solution is to protect him, also he needs to know that he can't go chasing and do everyone's tackles.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He isn't the major problem, but he is a major part of the problem.

Problem is the coach, spine and pack. People crap on about he needs a HB, he needs a 5/8th, he needs a hooker. That shows that we need a spine and he needs to be babied.
Burton is getting the big bucks and do naturally alot more scrutiny on him

axeman23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well why Gould and Cc haven't got Reynolds back in filling that role is beyond me. One of the all time greatest going to waste
"Reynolds an all-time great"??? Is this JOSH we're talking about? What's he gonna do? Teach Burton how to pick more fights/give away more penalties? Reynolds was a "great little tryer", I'll give him that... But ATG/halves coach? :sweatsmile:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not blaming. Just saying several players are playing well below their previous form and there's not enough reasons why they shouldn't be going some way towards that form playing for us.

We need to identify why.

Panthers may have hidden Burto's quality as a 5/8 but there's quite a few others eg Reed for one, who aren't putting in effectively or sufficiently enough for their paychecks or rep/near rep player credentials.

Croft was never in that class really.

Early days but worrying signs. Hope Round 1 it comes together.
You know, it might take the tiniest of changes to make the team click, can you imagine the positive effects if the forwards specially the props somehow gain confidence and be leaders, I can't see why not they might not be the biggest but they aren't small either, we need a ROBBO !!!
Looking on Burton's form I am more convinced then ever he is still learning to be 6 and the wrong 5/8 for what we have for halfbacks, we need someone with more organising skills and more involvement, I hope he proves wrong !
I wonder, did he getaway with playing at 6 in junior football because of his size, is he badly coached, is it the surroundings or all what I've mentioned, most importantly if it doesn't work out for him at 6 will he bite the bullet and play in another position for the team or will he spit the dummy ???
I hope it doesn't come to that !!!

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"Reynolds an all-time great"??? Is this JOSH we're talking about? What's he gonna do? Teach Burton how to pick more fights/give away more penalties? Reynolds was a "great little tryer", I'll give him that... But ATG/halves coach? :sweatsmile:
Hehe well yeah that was complete and utter sarcasm. He likes to be thought of having ATG status for his 5 seasons at the club.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mahoney should not be playing 80 min. Mann is on the bench & should play 20-30 min a game at hooker.
I agree with Reed not being an 80min option to be effective.

Whether it be Mann or someone else in the 14. I hope the coach can step out of his set ways and see this himself. Giving him the break he needs.

It will never happen but I actually think Reed would be best used as the biggest minute hooker but off the bench as a 14. Coming on after 20-25 minutes and playing the game out.

axeman23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree with Reed not being an 80min option to be effective.

Whether it be Mann or someone else in the 14. I hope the coach can step out of his set ways and see this himself. Giving him the break he needs.

It will never happen but I actually think Reed would be best used as the biggest minute hooker but off the bench as a 14. Coming on after 20-25 minutes and playing the game out.
That might be the better idea, actually. Take some of the sting out of the game, let the opposition forwards tire themselves out running at someone else for 20-25 minutes, then bring Mahoney on. But he still needs to take a step back, while Burton and whoever is his halves partner need to be more assertive...

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Play as a grubber chipping running centre at 5/8, definitely gotta be more creative this year and have a few more off the cuff plays, another year wiser

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was one of the first people last week to bag out Burtons trial v Storm but seriously why are people hating on him against what was pretty much a full strength sharks team?

The areas he was weak in last week he improved on this week (night and day with his kicking ) and he ran the ball well and got early ball to his strike players

Look at how how much good ball we had (fk all) and look at our competitions…sometimes I wonder if our fans are actually watching his game properly or just watching to wait for him to fk up

He got us out of trouble a couple times with booming clearances on the last after pitiful 20m and 25m set gains

Defensively he was strong as well

FOH !

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He got us out of trouble a couple times with booming clearances on the last after pitiful 20m and 25m set gains
Good observation, this is important , not just for the set after the long distance kick but for the longer term effect they have on the opposition. Who have just tackled their arses off, limited us to a few metres per tackle, worked hard and then whammo a 70+ metres kick. Makes it a 95 metre set, less what ever metres they run the ball back. Which are limited because 1 of their back 3 have to turn and run back to get to the ball, while we are advancing. It turns a shit set into a good set but more importantly it also frustrates the opposition and tires them out from turning around and running back lots of metres. Especially big forwards that have just spent 5 tackle sets working hard on limiting our metres.

Fast wingers, centers and pacey 2nd rowers that are also good tacklers are an integral part of this. Worth considering when critiquing Ciraldo's selections.

Always a Bulldog