Opinion Is Burton disinterested?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Where? Almost predominately centre at Penif and looked silly playing 5/8 for his country.
He has played fullback multiple times over the years at Penrith and doesn't look remotely close to good enough there with the ball in hand.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The irony of this because when he does good stuff the people hating on him say nothing but when he doesnt even have that bad a game, the haters come out. Embarrassing for a fan
Why are you so defensive of Burton?

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I thought his effort areas were good on Thursday night, i do think that too much pressure was put on him with the capt thing at such a young age.
Its not his fault people have been pumping up his tyres for the last couple of years, he has played behind a pretty average pack that has been dominated since his arrival
Ben hunt has not done any better with his pack.
And he is an elite half.
He has won a few games for us in the last couple of years.
When he plays behind a good pack then we will see how good he can be
We dominated the middle in the trial, he had all the space in the world. They allowed us to do every set in our offseason play book and he stuffed them all up

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He jams up his outside men because he runs sideways instead of straightening up and digging into the line
Hoping Ciro & JT can sit down with him watching the video replays over & over and pointing out what he’s doing wrong here & then make the necessary corrections at training ..

I’m giving him till round 6..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah he needs to be on the edge he’s proven there he’s great defensively aswell our edges leak so many points it’s atrocious he should help fix that
I agree, we don’t need him to play fullback, he’s arguably the best centre in the game and the best attacking and defensive centre we have had since J Moz

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He jams up his outside men because he runs sideways instead of straightening up and digging into the line
I thought he ran straighter than Hutchison.
And the backs outside Hutchison were going sideways as well.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought his effort areas were good on Thursday night, i do think that too much pressure was put on him with the capt thing at such a young age.
Its not his fault people have been pumping up his tyres for the last couple of years, he has played behind a pretty average pack that has been dominated since his arrival
Ben hunt has not done any better with his pack.
And he is an elite half.
He has won a few games for us in the last couple of years.
When he plays behind a good pack then we will see how good he can be
I agree with the captaincy thing. I don’t see it as an age thing though. From what I see Burton isn’t a captain personality. He certainly shouldn’t have the captaincy to worry about on any level.

I think the Ben Hunt reference is a good one showing what Burton lacks.

Even when Hunt is in a losing team. He is generally the best player trying his guts out on every play.

The perception on Burton. Right or wrong is that if things aren’t going well he isn’t the player to lift the team and carry them on his back. He goes MIA and from the outside at least, looks disinterested and doesn’t have that leadership follow me boys attitude.

To say it’s unfair to judge him. The minute a player takes the big contract money. They open themselves up for be critique.

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton for some reason just doesn’t bomb the ball. It’s such a great weapon he should be using it every time we are stuck in our half. It’s the perfect clearing kick. I think the coach is to blame though as clearly the game plan is to put shallow kicks into the corners for field position.

Burton should do much better with Kiks, Critta and Fox on his left. He just needs to run or pass and the rest will take care of itself. I’m confident by seasons end he will be one of our top try scorers and have the most try assists.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton for some reason just doesn’t bomb the ball. It’s such a great weapon he should be using it every time we are stuck in our half. It’s the perfect clearing kick. I think the coach is to blame though as clearly the game plan is to put shallow kicks into the corners for field position.

Burton should do much better with Kiks, Critta and Fox on his left. He just needs to run or pass and the rest will take care of itself. I’m confident by seasons end he will be one of our top try scorers and have the most try assists.
The bomb is only good when he lands it in the right place. His bomb is hard to defend when the opponent doesn’t know where it’s going. The issue is Burton has no clue where it’s going either. His Bomb should be used very sparingly imo.

I also think Crichton will be playing right side. Xerri will find himself on the left I think.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like Hutcho will eventually be the starting 7 (sexton will get first dibs) because of the pressure he will take away from Burton.
Also Hutcho will hopefully ensure Mahoney doesn’t over play his hand, still showed signs of that on Thursday. He just tries to do too much. Hayward looked really really good at the 9…..

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like Hutcho will eventually be the starting 7 (sexton will get first dibs) because of the pressure he will take away from Burton.
Also Hutcho will hopefully ensure Mahoney doesn’t over play his hand, still showed signs of that on Thursday. He just tries to do too much. Hayward looked really really good at the 9…..
Reeds biggest problem is he tries to hard. He is absolute quality that just needs some friendly coaching advise.

I think everyone watching can see he overplays his hand too often. Everyone can see he needs a breather for his game to be at its best. I’m not sure the coaching sees either of these things though.

I agree Hayward looked very good on Thursday. I haven’t seen that much of him to know much about him. Can he cover other positions?

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reeds biggest problem is he tries to hard. He is absolute quality that just needs some friendly coaching advise.

I think everyone watching can see he overplays his hand too often. Everyone can see he needs a breather for his game to be at its best. I’m not sure the coaching sees either of these things though.

I agree Hayward looked very good on Thursday. I haven’t seen that much of him to know much about him. Can he cover other positions?
Makes sense now why parra let him go without a fight
I have not seen Hayward play anywhere besides half but he clearly can play the 9. I know it’s only 1 games but he’s shown enough.
*not sure if he played any 9 in NSW cup last year I don’t watch much of it

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The bomb is only good when he lands it in the right place. His bomb is hard to defend when the opponent doesn’t know where it’s going. The issue is Burton has no clue where it’s going either. His Bomb should be used very sparingly imo.

I also think Crichton will be playing right side. Xerri will find himself on the left I think.
That’s why I said use it as a clearing kick. When deep in your own half put it up on a good angle to hand over the halfway mark. It’s not hard to get that right.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I thought he ran straighter than Hutchison.
And the backs outside Hutchison were going sideways as well.
There's a distinct difference to running straight as playmaker vs playing direct with good tempo. Burton jinks and runs without thinking, just very reactive.
Whereas Hutchinson and especially Sexton adjust their tempo to engage defenders to provide better service to their outside men.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He plays like he is the son of the team owner.
He is. And its Ciraldo fault. Burtons apparent lack of interest and attacking skill falls squarely on Ciraldo.

Proof? Look what he was doing under Ivan and also under Potter for us.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is. And its Ciraldo fault. Burtons apparent lack of interest and attacking skill falls squarely on Ciraldo.

Proof? Look what he was doing under Ivan and also under Potter for us.
Burton undoubtedly has the talent and skill. Its been shown. But its the coachings fault at this rate.