Injury Carnage Caused By 6 Agains

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont see what the problem is in being able to slow the game down and control the tempo by kicking into touch etc.. if yiur good enough to do that than kudos to you... thats always been part of rugby league & and slowing down things is used as a strategy in most sports..

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new rules have taken the defensive grind out of the game as it's near impossible for teams to get their line in place before the next play the ball. They have replaced the gladiatorial aspect of the game with flash and flare and while that might appease a TV audience, it robs those that like defence to be a large part of the game.

I remember a QF game back in 2013 between us and Manly where it ended up 4-0. It still is one of the bests games of Rugby League I have ever seen. But now it's blowouts galore.

Malla

Reaction score
I think its bullshit to blame the 6 again rule.

The whole point of the 6 again was to not speed up the game but to reduce the number of penalties ultimately. At the end of the day, if teams don't give away penalties (or 6 agains) then everything should be fine.

What should come into question is consistency of refs applying the 6 agains. Half the time we don't know why the 6 again is being called and you see the ref calling it at stupid times of the game, they should apply some judgement there but to answer the question I don't think the 6 again is the reason for the injuries. The injuries are pretty standard, there are more HIA's though, which is a good thing because the NRL is taking that seriously which they need to.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The new rules have taken the defensive grind out of the game as it's near impossible for teams to get their line in place before the next play the ball. They have replaced the gladiatorial aspect of the game with flash and flare and while that might appease a TV audience, it robs those that like defence to be a large part of the game.

I remember a QF game back in 2013 between us and Manly where it ended up 4-0. It still is one of the bests games of Rugby League I have ever seen. But now it's blowouts galore.
Spot on. The NRL don't seem to realise that defense is still important. Every rule is geared towards the attacking player. Players walk off the mark every play the ball now, the ref does nothing about it and then give six again for markers not being square or offside. It's madness. It's a completely different sport.

The closer, slower the games are, the more competitive the competition is.

Obviously they needed to speed it up based on the wrestle etc but all they had to do is introduce a 5 minute bin for repeated infringements, get rid of scrums and reduce the interchange to 6. Those simple fixes would have had a better balance. Instead now we have this artificial garbage with a cow bell every two seconds.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Is that why we give away so many six agains? Maybe it's an intentional ploy by players who are hoping to get injured and miss out on some of the humiliation...lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There is absolutely no proof that the changes to the game are leading to more injuries. There is no where near enough time and data yet. The game is far more interesting than it has been for a while imo.
I do think the repeat sets are sometimes pretty dodgy though, I don't understand why they don't have to announce to someone via a headset what the reason is so it can be relayed to the tv audience.
The game is interesting? Lol it's shit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

The whole point of the 6 again was to not speed up the game but to reduce the number of penalties ultimately. At the end of the day, if teams don't give away penalties (or 6 agains) then everything should be fine.

What should come into question is consistency of refs applying the 6 agains. Half the time we don't know why the 6 again is being called and you see the ref calling it at stupid times of the game, they should apply some judgement there but to answer the question I don't think the 6 again is the reason for the injuries. The injuries are pretty standard, there are more HIA's though, which is a good thing because the NRL is taking that seriously which they need to.
That's the problem though. There's zero consistency with how they apply six agains and they only hammer the bad teams that are struggling.

They let good teams get away with way more in the ruck. Case in point the Storm/Panthers game. They barely called any but players were slowing it down non stop. Whereas if bad teams did the same thing against either of those teams, they'd have ten six agains against them.

There's nothing wrong with a penalty and a kick for touch. At least then we can scrutinise what the penalty was for. Now they do what they want, ring the cow bell and no one has any idea why. It's a joke.

Malla

Reaction score
That's the problem though. There's zero consistency with how they apply six agains and they only hammer the bad teams that are struggling.

They let good teams get away with way more in the ruck. Case in point the Storm/Panthers game. They barely called any but players were slowing it down non stop. Whereas if bad teams did the same thing against either of those teams, they'd have ten six agains against them.

There's nothing wrong with a penalty and a kick for touch. At least then we can scrutinise what the penalty was for. Now they do what they want, ring the cow bell and no one has any idea why. It's a joke.
Yeah the Raiders game on the weekend was fucked. Warriors were getting every 6 again under the sun

We got dicked as well round 1, had no idea why we were being penalised half the time.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I got to say there is no proof that the speed of the game is causing these injuries.

Kearey got injured changing angles - could have happened at training and has been happening way before the 6 again rule
Lam was injured from a tackle - happens all the time and been happening way before the 6 again rule

Journos just need to write or say something so they make up sh!t and people believe it without proof or evidence.

These injuries as one of the d!cks said on NRL 360 last night could have happened because the grass was still very wet and boggy...

The concussion ones are either bad luck - when players heads clash against one another OR from carelessness from opposing players OR from deliberate acts of foul play... All of this has been happening before the 6 again rule

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I got to say there is no proof that the speed of the game is causing these injuries.

Kearey got injured changing angles - could have happened at training and has been happening way before the 6 again rule
Lam was injured from a tackle - happens all the time and been happening way before the 6 again rule

Journos just need to write or say something so they make up sh!t and people believe it without proof or evidence.

These injuries as one of the d!cks said on NRL 360 last night could have happened because the grass was still very wet and boggy...

The concussion ones are either bad luck - when players heads clash against one another OR from carelessness from opposing players OR from deliberate acts of foul play... All of this has been happening before the 6 again rule
This is my opinion, not the journos. I started this whole conversation.. Of course injuries and concussions are a part of the game but surely when players are more under fatigue, they're more likely to get injured or have bad tackling technique potentially leading to more concussions. Last year there were tonnes of injuries too. It's not a preposterous argument.

I suppose this season's data will be the true barometer. If teams continue to be decimated by injuries and concussions at this rate, I don't see how people can insist it's not linked. We'll see what happens..

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This is my opinion, not the journos. I started this whole conversation.. Of course injuries and concussions are a part of the game but surely when players are more under fatigue, they're more likely to get injured or have bad tackling technique potentially leading to more concussions. Last year there were tonnes of injuries too. It's not a preposterous argument.

I suppose this season's data will be the true barometer. If teams continue to be decimated by injuries and concussions at this rate, I don't see how people can insist it's not linked. We'll see what happens..
If you started this conversation, then I do apologise for saying that all this talk is just sh!t. I am sick of journos always biting the hand that feeds them ie the game.... (are you a journo??? lol lol -u better not be else i take my apology back!!! hahahaha)

I see your point, but one can argue that when some one is fatigued, there is less force in the contact, players missing tackles and or falling off tackles resulting in less collisions...
Also, lets see this week with a much dryer Sydney track if there are going to be this many injuries. Where there a heap of serious injuries at games played outside of NSW?

the only way I can link the 6 again with injuries is the fact that there is actual more game time which can result in more injuries as players are playing more minutes... more time played, more chance of players getting injured.. they go hand in hand... (has someone come up with this theory)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you started this conversation, then I do apologise for saying that all this talk is just sh!t. I am sick of journos always biting the hand that feeds them ie the game.... (are you a journo??? lol lol -u better not be else i take my apology back!!! hahahaha)

I see your point, but one can argue that when some one is fatigued, there is less force in the contact, players missing tackles and or falling off tackles resulting in less collisions...
Also, lets see this week with a much dryer Sydney track if there are going to be this many injuries. Where there a heap of serious injuries at games played outside of NSW?

the only way I can link the 6 again with injuries is the fact that there is actual more game time which can result in more injuries as players are playing more minutes... more time played, more chance of players getting injured.. they go hand in hand... (has someone come up with this theory)
Haha. Nah definitely not!

Yeah I agree with you that some of the surfaces and grounds have been horrible. That's definitely a factor.

Well yeah that's all part of the point. The less stoppages and more the ball is in play, the more opportunity for injuries.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

A 6 again (set restart) is a penalty.

Go Dogs

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The game of league has gone backwards ever since this commission was formed.

This image is where the problem lies. Screenshot_20210330-192826_Chrome.jpg