• No

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • No, there isn’t enough detail

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I would vote. Much like the "welcome to country" which is flogged like a dead horse these days (to the point even indigenous people are saking for it to be used less), I'm not sure a voice to parliament is required.

We already have Indigenous advisors to parties, and don't we already technically have Indigenous voices in parliament by way of Lidia Thrope, and other indigenous ministers/senators?

How would this Voice to Parliament differ to anything existing? Or is this just a bit of wool over everyones eyes which is actually doing bugger all?

Cryptic Ghost

Sharmooderator
Reaction score
Momentum is building for a campaign that would call on Australian property owners to pay a percentage of their income to traditional land owners out of respect for their ancestral land claims.
The scheme, Pay the Rent, would work as a voluntary weekly payment to a body led by Aboriginal elders and managed without interference from the government.

The program has been operating quietly in Victoria, with veteran Aboriginal rights activist from Melbourne Robbie Thorpe – who organised a similar scheme in Fitzroy in the 1990s – suggesting non Indigenous Australians give up one per cent of their weekly wage.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/rea...e/news-story/c1261e085f6409d0cbc60b2327cc9c10
They can go and get fucked. Not paying any **** a cent. Shit happened way back so why the fuck should I foot the bill.

Keese emoun.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Half the Mid East should pay rent to us Assyrians who took our land.
Interesting point. Imagine if this idea was global - an endless money grab that would solve nothing. Reminds me of the old economist story:

It’s a slow day in a little town. The sun is hot….the streets are deserted.Times are tough, everyone is in debt and lives on credit.

Then, a rich tourist is drives into town. He stops at the motel and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms before picking one to spend the night in. The motel owner agrees.

As soon as the tourist walks off, the motel owner grabs the $100 and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher. The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer. The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill at the feed store. The guy at the feed store takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her services on credit.

She, in a flash rushes to the motel and pays off her room bill with the motel owner. The motel owner places the $100 back on the counter so the rich traveler is none the wiser.

At that moment the traveler returns to the motel reception, picks up the $100, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money and leaves.

SO… no one produced anything…no one earned anything…however the whole town is out of debt and looks to the future with much optimism. :-).

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Momentum is building for a campaign that would call on Australian property owners to pay a percentage of their income to traditional land owners out of respect for their ancestral land claims.
The scheme, Pay the Rent, would work as a voluntary weekly payment to a body led by Aboriginal elders and managed without interference from the government.

The program has been operating quietly in Victoria, with veteran Aboriginal rights activist from Melbourne Robbie Thorpe – who organised a similar scheme in Fitzroy in the 1990s – suggesting non Indigenous Australians give up one per cent of their weekly wage.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/rea...e/news-story/c1261e085f6409d0cbc60b2327cc9c10
that is comedy gold!

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So the solution is more welfare, handouts and stimulus LOL

The voice will be groundbreaking! It will be a louder version of asking for welfare.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Isnt the $billions invested in Indigenous welfare enough to cover the rent?
I think that's a big part of it. We spend billions on indigenous welfare, then use it on stuff that doesn't help. I assume the voice to parliament will advise on best way to actually help. At least, that's my guess. There isn't enough information available.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is no fix. It is too complex.
No Government will reshape us as a Nation to tackle the issue.
Instead we have examples of band aid solutions after 200+ years like alcohol restriction.
Its all talk.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only issue I have with the voice is how representative it is of Aboriginal people across the country. At the local level, Aboriginal Land Counicils are rife with nepotism. Is it planned to have elections for the voice or are they appointed by the government of the day? In principle, I believe in an Aboriginal Voice to design Aboriginal led solutions for Aboriginal issues. Unfortunately details are a little scarce and you can’t trust government to get this shit right. I fear it is about the optics more than the outcome

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.

Those of us with long memories will recall Bob Hawke in about 1990 banging on about his groundbreaking plan to give aboriginals a "voice", which he called ATSIC. Billions of taxpayer dollars were spent, a few well connected aboriginals and a few white hangers-on became instant millionaires while the vast majority of the people Hawke was trying to help got nothing.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aboriginals make up 2% of Australia.
Economically they don’t have much pull.
There are more of us Arabs in Australia than Aboriginals.

mths point I’m trying to make is they aren’t big enough to have a separate parliament.
I can think of 4 aboriginal ppl I have met this past year.

why not have a Chinese representation? Thay are around 20% of australi. U know what I mean?

Always a bulldog.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No argument imo that we treated indigenous people really badly.

Invasion. Should be apologize to the Turks for Gallipoli...that was an invasion ?
The Greeks, Romans, Muslims, Japanese, Scandinavians all invaded places.
Just saying.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Invasion. Should be apologize to the Turks for Gallipoli...that was an invasion ?
Just saying.

those groups have some shame that is the difference.

blacks and jews are by far the worst at guilt trip narratives.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aboriginals make up 2% of Australia.
Economically they don’t have much pull.
There are more of us Arabs in Australia than Aboriginals.

mths point I’m trying to make is they aren’t big enough to have a separate parliament.
I can think of 4 aboriginal ppl I have met this past year.

why not have a Chinese representation? Thay are around 20% of australi. U know what I mean?

Always a bulldog.
Dont be a fuckwit spouting shit you have no idea about.

If you want to learn something in life. Get your ass on a plane to Alice Springs.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you want to learn something in life. Get your ass on a plane to Alice Springs.
Why?

Should I argue we need a Lebanese committee then abuse u and say ‘get ur ass in a car to lakemba’
See how that line of logic falls away and sounds ridiculous when u swap the race?
And there’s more of us then aboriginal ppl

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Just saying.
I don't think the apology is meant to be about the invasion. It was colonisation. Happened everywhere at the time. I think the apology is more about the fact that we wiped out most of the local population in the process.

But the voice to parliament isn't really about that anyway because the apology has already been done.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Don't be too upset. That's what he's looking for. He's just a troll. He's not even Arab or Lebanese so take what he says with a grain of salt.