Incredible Turnaround in Defence

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Agree, he is not elite but the point was they copped 60 last night, it wasn't because of Flange. If the rest of the drags put in the effort that he did they probably don't concede 60.
OK 50 :tearsofjoy:.
Chooks were good but not 60 good.
Steelers very poor overall.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fitness one is interesting. We went and watched a pre-season session at Belmore on 20th Jan 2024 and it went for 3-4 hours. It was physical and intense with little breaks in between. I asked Kiraz when he came off if this is typical now, he smiled and said "yep".

I dont know how other NRL clubs train, but I thought if we arent fit after this type of regime, we never will be.
I’ve seen Roosters and Panthers train and it’s pretty intense for at least 2 hours non stop. I suspect CC is instilling this same level of prep into the team. Hence why he brought Touma over and why last year was such a struggle because the players were just not up to it.
This is just my personal opinion but I also think the reason why we had many injuries last year is because half the squad just weren’t cut out for that level of training/play. They’ve never worked that hard before so their bodies couldn’t do it. Thompson comes to mind, his body completely broke down.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve seen Roosters and Panthers train and it’s pretty intense for at least 2 hours non stop. I suspect CC is instilling this same level of prep into the team. Hence why he brought Touma over and why last year was such a struggle because the players were just not up to it.
This is just my personal opinion but I also think the reason why we had many injuries last year is because half the squad just weren’t cut out for that level of training/play. They’ve never worked that hard before so their bodies couldn’t do it. Thompson comes to mind, his body completely broke down.
Yep i'd agree. You cant go from 0 to 100 and it may explain the injuries but what could Ciraldo do? Ease them into professional NRL standards? There is no time for that - its the hard way or the highway and it meant 2023, in hindsight, was always a write off.

The standards were pretty low for a long time and Gus has said many times that people underestimate how deep of a hole the club was in and it would seem we are only just emerging, fingers crossed. We became the easy destination for lazy players to get a decent pay cheque with minimal effort. Napa & TPJ spring to mind.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep i'd agree. You cant go from 0 to 100 and it may explain the injuries but what could Ciraldo do? Ease them into professional NRL standards? There is no time for that - its the hard way or the highway and it meant 2023, in hindsight, was always a write off.

The standards were pretty low for a long time and Gus has said many times that people underestimate how deep of a hole the club was in and it would seem we are only just emerging, fingers crossed. We became the easy destination for lazy players to get a decent pay cheque with minimal effort. Napa & TPJ spring to mind.
Yeah and I reckon part of it was weeding out those that they didn't want to be there anymore OR weren't up to standard they needed ie. TPJ, RFM, Brown, Pele etc.

So true we became a destination for players to come and get paid high $$ and do the bare minimum. You could argue on paper in 2022 we had a better team compared to this year but this year we are playing way better brand of footy.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree, he is not elite but the point was they copped 60 last night, it wasn't because of Flange. If the rest of the drags put in the effort that he did they probably don't concede 60.
TBH if the Roosters played like that when we played them, we would have struggled to win.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah and I reckon part of it was weeding out those that they didn't want to be there anymore OR weren't up to standard they needed ie. TPJ, RFM, Brown, Pele etc.

So true we became a destination for players to come and get paid high $$ and do the bare minimum. You could argue on paper in 2022 we had a better team compared to this year but this year we are playing way better brand of footy.
It shows where we "were" and where we "are" . And that's down to 2 blokes . . .Gus and Ciro. Everything has a positive vibe and outlook now. Even with the topine thing.

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The club is hungry, the players are hungry and the fans are hungry. This could be a great ride! We are finally on the right path, thanks to Gus and Ciraldo. If we manage to make the finals, we will be there in droves, out of the woodwork.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It shows where we "were" and where we "are" . And that's down to 2 blokes . . .Gus and Ciro. Everything has a positive vibe and outlook now. Even with the topine thing.
Was always Gus's plan but everyone here gets impatient and wants results now. He did the same at Penrith.

He's loaded the side with players that will train and do prep at a high standard and level, the whole purpose of this is to create a blueprint for the juniors coming through who will eventually take this club to the top.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was always Gus's plan but everyone here gets impatient and wants results now. He did the same at Penrith.

He's loaded the side with players that will train and do prep at a high standard and level, the whole purpose of this is to create a blueprint for the juniors coming through who will eventually take this club to the top.
He got the right players,from what was available. And more importantly in my opinion, he didn't rush out and overpay players. Look at the Titans now, Tino has a 10 year contract at 1.2 million per season, with an option in his favour every year. Gus would NEVER sign such a ludicrously bad deal for the club

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He got the right players,from what was available. And more importantly in my opinion, he didn't rush out and overpay players. Look at the Titans now, Tino has a 10 year contract at 1.2 million per season, with an option in his favour every year. Gus would NEVER sign such a ludicrously bad deal for the club
100%. I think it empowers the club even more when Gus is negotiating with players like AFB, Tino and Moses and doesn’t give in to what their manager wants on the contract. This is our offer, this is the club you’ll be signing for, if you don’t like it then find somewhere else to play.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s all ciraldos system and coaching. Yes we have better players this year but he didn’t choose the squad last year but has recruited a lot of the players for this year. He probably is the reason Penrith were the best defensive side of the nrl era
Its actually Ciraldo's system at Panfers.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The speed and detail of bringing in so many players and exiting so many could only be done successfully with someone like Gus who is so dialed in to the pathways and networks he has.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd say the whole rugby league world is impatient and wants results immediately, no matter the club. It doesnt help with the enormous agenda of Grog Monster Rothfield against Gus and hoping we fail. I have no idea why he gets air time, not just cause of the above, but because he is plain dumb when it comes to almost anything footy related!

If results do not come, everyone wants everyone sacked and that short term-ism kills clubs cause you make shit decisions on recruitment and rotations within the team. Look at the dragons - we were losing games like that in 2023 (and who knows, we may again in 2024) but they dont want to give Flanno the chance, whether he is is the right or wrong choice, to see out his plans. Many on the Kennel felt the same way about Ciraldo & Gus last year and unfortunately if results turn, we will find the same opinions.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100%. I think it empowers the club even more when Gus is negotiating with players like AFB, Tino and Moses and doesn’t give in to what their manager wants on the contract. This is our offer, this is the club you’ll be signing for, if you don’t like it then find somewhere else to play.
We are in a pretty good place

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What a difference head coach can make to a struggling side, with actual NRL players.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Look at Souths. They are in the same boat as us last year. Already conceded 250 points, and facing the Panthers next week.
Like the Dogs, they have injury and suspension worries, but their talented players are being hurt by the quality of replacements in the side, and it affects the moral. Heck, they even wore faux Bulldog outfits against the Storm.
Hehe. The hide of those Scabbitohs. They looked silly.

NRL should have made sure we had an ANZAC game to commemorate our first ever game.