Incredible Turnaround in Defence

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know it's early but if this trajectory continues I hope we can have him as our coach for many years to come like Bellamy... Like I said if.
He’s a top shelf coach mate. I could see it in the first 5 rounds of last year, he just didn’t have the depth when injuries struck. People on here were judging him but failed to recognize at one stage there were like ten players in our 17 with less than 12 NRL games to their name. He also had to deal with overpaid and underperforming players like TPJ & Thompson to name a few. Not to mention some players who caused problems within the playing group like RFM, Nu Brown and Topine!

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main thing I'm liking about our current form this year is how entertaining we are to watch. Even non dog's fans who I watch my footy with are always excited to see how we go every weekend. We are really sticking it to the teams who had us predicted as easy beats. It has been years since I watched a dog's game like I did last Sunday and felt completely calm and composed that we had it in the bag after 10 minutes of play.
Agreed. A lot fitter this year and as a result playing a lot more freely and with confidence

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of the worst and laziest defenders in the NRL and defense gets better - Averillo, Okunbur, Waddell, Alamoti, Perham, TPJ, Thompson, RFM, Casey, Pele, Sutton and last but not least Topine.

The biggest difference is the change in the centres. It's the hardest position to defend in you get found out if you don't have the smarts and technique - Averillo and Alamoti compared to Crighton and Xerri. If you are poor in the centres, it puts pressure on the whole team defensively and then the good players need to take the burden and either get worn out (King and Kiraz) or start making more errors than usual (Mahoney and Burton). This then means our attacking players are too tired to be effective at the other end in attack and we give away penalties and 6 agains and then we have to defend again - viscious cycle.

Throw in a fit Kikau and we have a leader who sets the standard on the field by action rather than virtue.

Credit to Gus, CC and the coaching staff who were able to identify this and did something about it.
The defensive turn-around is even more outstanding with our thin set of front rowers. Whether it's a lack of experience, or size, or a decent track record, they came into the season as one of the weakest front rows, but are lifting and playing way above themselves. Kikau leading the kick-chase and the work-rates of Mahoney and our small forwards are big parts, but I agree the defensive work of our centres is also a huge part of it. Crichton especially just leads by example all the time, while Xerri is looking more like a consummate professional every game.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is we’ve had such a team this year that has not sat there and waited for opportunity, they have taken it upon themselves and executed what CC wants. The morale is through the roof, seeing them together after games laughing and enjoying each other’s company. Massive credit goes to the club for getting critta and making him captain. It’s made reed and burton focus solely on their game and it’s become a great turn around for their seasons.

I remember a lot of people here last year saying we got the wrong Penrith coach, have you not seen what’s happening at the warriors? Jeez they have a better team overall and the titans beat them. They got flogged the other week. I think what CC has done wit the team we have has been wonders, if CC gets us in the top 8, won’t surprise me if his coach of the year.

Big_Kahunas

Waterboy
Reaction score
The defensive turn-around is even more outstanding with our thin set of front rowers. Whether it's a lack of experience, or size, or a decent track record, they came into the season as one of the weakest front rows, but are lifting and playing way above themselves. Kikau leading the kick-chase and the work-rates of Mahoney and our small forwards are big parts, but I agree the defensive work of our centres is also a huge part of it. Crichton especially just leads by example all the time, while Xerri is looking more like a consummate professional every game.
Great point. Forwards doing their roles has been a great change from last year. Becoming Storm like. Defending in the middle requires a pack mentality - teamwork and stepping up for your mate next to you. Curran and Mann have been great. Salmon is ok in the middle and much much better than Okunbur/Sutton/Waddell last year - just don't switch him into centres.

I would still like to see CC use a better bench rotation as our second halves have generally been a decline compared to our first halves. Good to see Hughes getting a few more minutes although this is more due to necessity during games rather than planning (interested to see if this continues). I like seeing that aggression that we've been seeing from him lately.

Would like to see how Skelton could go coming off the bench for impact in our attack and metre eating when we are looking tired.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great point. Forwards doing their roles has been a great change from last year. Becoming Storm like. Defending in the middle requires a pack mentality - teamwork and stepping up for your mate next to you. Curran and Mann have been great. Salmon is ok in the middle and much much better than Okunbur/Sutton/Waddell last year - just don't switch him into centres.

I would still like to see CC use a better bench rotation as our second halves have generally been a decline compared to our first halves. Good to see Hughes getting a few more minutes although this is more due to necessity during games rather than planning (interested to see if this continues). I like seeing that aggression that we've been seeing from him lately.

Would like to see how Skelton could go coming off the bench for impact in our attack and metre eating when we are looking tired.
Honestly last weeks game I was there and his bench rotations was wonderful, the way he utilised the bench was great. We didn’t look like skipping a beat. I understand what your saying but honestly with Mann and Preston out, now due to come back, it’s only gonna make it better rotation wise.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it’s more to do with the players we had and the players that want to play for there club.
Being lazy will make a massive difference in defence.
Look at Souths. They are in the same boat as us last year. Already conceded 250 points, and facing the Panthers next week.
Like the Dogs, they have injury and suspension worries, but their talented players are being hurt by the quality of replacements in the side, and it affects the moral. Heck, they even wore faux Bulldog outfits against the Storm.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Last season we conceded an average of 32 points per game!
As the colourful circus identities reminded us 7 672 384 times. At the same time they referred to the head coach as ‘Ciraldope’ - yet under the same coach the stats this year are night and day. Says a lot about the roster and strategy doesn’t it. Meanwhile, RFM, Flange and Brown are in a team that got 60 put on them yesterday…

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That would be because of the ‘corrupt’ NRL making the draw harder to suit their anti-Bulldog agenda, right? :tearsofjoy:
Yes now you get it. Meanwhile Melbourne first 10 games get to play 7 home games including the bye.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes now you get it. Meanwhile Melbourne first 10 games get to play 7 home games including the bye.
And in the last 5 rounds at the business end of the season have 1 home game. Get real mate.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s mainly health and fitness.
We did not have the players fit enough to play this type of defence, and had a lot of injuries. Have been somewhat luckier this year with health but their fitness has improved immensely which is key to why defence has been better.
It’s all about effort areas. For example for is not acceptable is Kautoga’s zero effort in getting in front of Blore who ends up scoring the game winning try. A missed tackle is not as bad where you make the effort to get in front. He showed zero effort and cost Dogs the game. Doubt he see’s any first grade for a while now (unless injuries)
The fitness one is interesting. We went and watched a pre-season session at Belmore on 20th Jan 2024 and it went for 3-4 hours. It was physical and intense with little breaks in between. I asked Kiraz when he came off if this is typical now, he smiled and said "yep".

I dont know how other NRL clubs train, but I thought if we arent fit after this type of regime, we never will be.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And in the last 5 rounds at the business end of the season have 1 home game. Get real mate.
I’d rather have the advantage first by the end the team is geld.
It’s payed for them how many teams did they just beat.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’d rather have the advantage first by the end the team is geld.
It’s payed for them how many teams did they just beat.
As opposed to the business end when travel, injury and fatigue are a bigger problem to manage leading into the finals? If anything one team towns like the Storm and Warriors are disadvantaged by travel. In the last 5 weeks of this season the Storm have two trips to Sydney and two to Queensland. The Wahs two to Sydney and one to Brisbane. Any professional outfit knows it’s the whole season that you have to manage and at the end of the day every team gets the same number of home games. There’s simply no evidence to speak of ‘corruption’ or ‘favouritism’ - it’s just disgruntled fans thinking that it’s somehow deliberately stacked against them when it’s not.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As opposed to the business end when travel, injury and fatigue are a bigger problem to manage leading into the finals? If anything one team towns like the Storm and Warriors are disadvantaged by travel. In the last 5 weeks of this season the Storm have two trips to Sydney and two to Queensland. The Wahs two to Sydney and one to Brisbane. Any professional outfit knows it’s the whole season that you have to manage and at the end of the day every team gets the same number of home games. There’s simply no evidence to speak of ‘corruption’ or ‘favouritism’ - it’s just disgruntled fans thinking that it’s somehow deliberately stacked against them when it’s not.
Not corruption more like favouritism, it’s been like that for a long time. They also play teams that will make them more money playing on prime time.
I don’t think the comp is corrupt but it sure loves to make money by supporting some teams.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As the colourful circus identities reminded us 7 672 384 times. At the same time they referred to the head coach as ‘Ciraldope’ - yet under the same coach the stats this year are night and day. Says a lot about the roster and strategy doesn’t it. Meanwhile, RFM, Flange and Brown are in a team that got 60 put on them yesterday…
To be fair, Flange defended well, defended at center and they targeted him, Manu was running at him all game but Flange handled him really well. Credit where it's due.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair, Flange defended well, defended at center and they targeted him, Manu was running at him all game but Flange handled him really well. Credit where it's due.
Flange’s issue was never effort.
He tried hard for us too.
He’s just not an elite footballer and if his dad wasn’t the coach fair chance he’s not in the team.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Flange’s issue was never effort.
He tried hard for us too.
He’s just not an elite footballer and if his dad wasn’t the coach fair chance he’s not in the team.
Agree, he is not elite but the point was they copped 60 last night, it wasn't because of Flange. If the rest of the drags put in the effort that he did they probably don't concede 60.