In your opinion who is the most underrated Bulldogs player ever?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
What ever happen to Dietz.....half you pricks were in love with him after the first trial last year.
he plays in the illawarra comp. i saw him at the brewdog pub last month and shared henny with him

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me it has to be Jason Hethrington. The media & fans of other clubs never mention his name when talking about the great hookers of the game but he was an incredible player. Top 10 hooker that I've seen since 1990.
Steve Mortimer Should be on the Immortal List, the most exciting. smartest player I have ever seen .

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brent Sherwin for me, born in the wrong era having Johns etc in front of him.

Any other era, he would have played quite a few times
Shifty was very underrated in 2002-2004... Although he was brought into the Blues camp in 2002(?) as cover for A. Johns, he was in effect 7th choice NSW halfback in that period behind Johns, Kimmorley, Barrett (as 7), Craig Gower, Matt Orford and Brett Finch (due to his club combination with Fittler in 2004)

Sherwin did though become very inconsistent from 2005 onwards and was gone by the end of 2007... Pity

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dylan Napa is quite possibly the biggest waste of money and space the 'Dogs have fielded... truly awful signing
The grass isnt always greener on the other side of the fence when he came to us he played in the last SOO series?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Jim Dymock was a bit underrated... Yes, he was a premiership winner and played rep football but he didn't get the credit he deserved for what a clever footballer he was --> eg. in a game where he was being tackled and couldn't offload backwards to a teammate, he passed the ball backwards into an opponent's leg and so the ball then bounced forward and they scored (when he was at the Eels)... It was difficult watching those four bail on us and join the squEels

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Jim Dymock was a bit underrated... Yes, he was a premiership winner and played rep football but he didn't get the credit he deserved for what a clever footballer he was --> eg. in a game where he was being tackled and couldn't offload backwards to a teammate, he passed the ball backwards into an opponent's leg and so the ball then bounced forward and they scored (when he was at the Eels)... It was difficult watching those four bail on us and join the squEels
That's why I enjoy the 98 semi v Parra so much and the fact Sterling has massive shot at winger Carrick (I think) over the kick. Stereo was filthy.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why I enjoy the 98 semi v Parra so much and the fact Sterling has massive shot at winger Carrick (I think) over the kick. Stereo was filthy.
The pain in Sterling's voice while commentating was icing on the cake

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I do think Hetherington was amazing but he did get rep honours so it comes back to players i watched like Glen and Steve Hughes who both would've gone further but for injuries.. similar to Matty Ryan.. The newer generation it's clear that Patten is the stand-out here.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt Utai. He was a faster, more agile and was a better finisher than Brain TOO, However Too is a walk up start for NSW and Utai was never even in the conversation. Never understood why he was so underrated. My mate said he played him in Oztag a few times (around 2015) and he was unstoppable.
Cause he was a proud Kiwi

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should've made it ahead of Brent Finch that year that Joey was injured. Brent Sherwin at his peak would be the second best halfback in the game today.
Shifty had the best grubber kicking game there is. Better than anyone I think

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For me it has to be Jason Hethrington. The media & fans of other clubs never mention his name when talking about the great hookers of the game but he was an incredible player. Top 10 hooker that I've seen since 1990.
Me. I played for the Moorebank Rams in the late 80s as a prop and sadly underrated. At the time Steve obrien was a winger who eventually made his way to the Tigers but I got overlooked as a ball playing hard running prop.

it was racist thing, as I’m a Queenslander so you cockroaches didn’t respect or appreciate the talent that was in front of you. So subsequently I went back to Queensland to finish my illustrious career with my brothers..

I love my Dogs but we still struggle recognise genuine talent especially from Gods Country….

P.S If somehow missed, my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek... :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Shifty was very underrated in 2002-2004... Although he was brought into the Blues camp in 2002(?) as cover for A. Johns, he was in effect 7th choice NSW halfback in that period behind Johns, Kimmorley, Barrett (as 7), Craig Gower, Matt Orford and Brett Finch (due to his club combination with Fittler in 2004)

Sherwin did though become very inconsistent from 2005 onwards and was gone by the end of 2007... Pity
Shifty had a completely fckd up hip joint. If trashed his speed and his step. The drop off was due to an injury that never fully recovered more than anything else.

And side note with Shifty, he was a kid coming through when we signed Ricky for that ill fated four games. He agreed to stay around and teach the kids. Obviously Shifty got a lot out of that.