In the big games do we get overcome by the occasion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
From watching us in the big games over the last 2 years it seems to me that when we are involved really big game such as the game last night we dont rise to the occasion and play to the best of our ability. For example we play a decent side last week and we were on the top of our game and we handled the Broncos quite easy and last night infront of the big crowd we werent really up for the game tbh.

Does anyone else think this is the case?

hotdiggitydogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know Noddy does
he tries to do to much and force things to happen, instead of just letting this happen

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
but we have played well in big games in the last 2 years

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Does anyone else think this is the case?
I'm voting "not the case".

• Injuries before the game affect our selections.
• Broken arms in first 9 mins affect our bench rotation.
• Not giving credit where it's due ... Parra defended well.
• We had zero linebreaks for the match.

It's a bit like our engine is only firing on three pistons ... the BYES give us a chance to recondition the engine before it's too late.

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
I'm voting "not the case".

• Injuries before the game affect our selections.
• Broken arms in first 9 mins affect our bench rotation.
• Not giving credit where it's due ... Parra defended well.
• We had zero linebreaks for the match.

It's a bit like our engine is only firing on three pistons ... the BYES give us a chance to recondition the engine before it's too late.
What about the games against the Dragons? Yes we were screwed out of a win against them last year but we have played them twice so far this year and lost twice.

Also against Parra they have won 6 out of the last 7 games against us.

I honestly think the big games we dont do well in them

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
What about the games against the Dragons? Yes we were screwed out of a win against them last year but we have played them twice so far this year and lost twice.

Also against Parra they have won 6 out of the last 7 games against us.

I honestly think the big games we dont do well in them
I can see why you think that .... but it's more of that "involuntary association" stuff ... like when you want to buy a car, and then you start seeing them everywhere.

• We beat Storm last year at Gosford. And WELL too !
• We were injury depleted at the backend of '09 with Noddy and lost our structure.
• Parra games have to be taken in context ... it's simplistic to think they just dominate us. It was 2-1 last year to them and it was a fair enough duel. In 2008 we lost to pretty much everyone. There's probably reasons for others too.
• Our results against the Merge have ben on par with a lot of others ... they're a well oiled Bennett machine these days.

B

bahadogg

last year we were the most consistant team yet we choked against parra to make the final.
in recent years we have choked in big games. but please no more

X

XxFoVoSxX

last year we were the most consistant team yet we choked against parra to make the final.
in recent years we have choked in big games. but please no more
last years semi, we had 2 players knocked out goodwin when he scored(he was playing gingerly all game and i think stagg got knocked out aswell, gordon was playing with a broken hand all game and hannant had a dislocated shoulder...

i wouldn't say we don't aim up, dragons are a well gelled team, they've hit their peak.. all their players have a roll to play and they play it well.

as for the eels, stop their second phase play and you win.. credit, where credit is due eels defended damn well.. of course there were so many dodgy calls it's not funny but thats another story, tbh i think eels kept us to nil in linebreaks.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
last years semi, we had 2 players knocked out goodwin when he scored(he was playing gingerly all game and i think stagg got knocked out aswell, gordon was playing with a broken hand all game and hannant had a dislocated shoulder...

i wouldn't say we don't aim up, dragons are a well gelled team, they've hit their peak.. all their players have a roll to play and they play it well.

as for the eels, stop their second phase play and you win.. credit, where credit is due eels defended damn well.. of course there were so many dodgy calls it's not funny but thats another story, tbh i think eels kept us to nil in linebreaks.
1st BOLD = Agree. And in 2006 lthe oss to Brisbane came courtesy of Mason underperforming.

2nd BOLD = Correct. Zero linebreaks to their four.

X

XxFoVoSxX

1st BOLD = Agree. And in 2006 lthe oss to Brisbane came courtesy of Mason underperforming.

2nd BOLD = Correct. Zero linebreaks to their four.
the whole team under performed in 06, that game was ours for the taking.. but as always when dogs are infront they get cocky and get owned lol

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you look back over the last couple years we've been in a position to these big matches (except for rnd 2 vs the merge this year) tbh i dont know what it is, i think they just stray away from their game plan when all you have to do is just stick to it and keep doing what you we're doing to get in that position...cockiness maybe? not for this match though...injuries plus a few dodgy calls = the loss but we gotta stop being so predcitable because when you come up against teams like the dragons if your not on your game then pack your bags...

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

Also Patten got knocked out in the first min of the game in the group tackle hitting it up from the kick return.he didn't play the rest of the game.

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score
Also Patten got knocked out in the first min of the game in the group tackle hitting it up from the kick return.he didn't play the rest of the game.
He came back in the 62nd minute i believe.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We haven't been too good this year. My experience over many decades is that we are usually ready for the big games, but go out unprepared for the minor sides and get our tails whipped.

F R 3 D 5 7 A

√ [ό] √
Reaction score
LOL. You haven't got a clue. You don't even know who we have played.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. You haven't got a clue. You don't even know who we have played.
I think he is including the trial game we played against them this year.......

For some reason...we keep meeting the Parra scum with depleted teams.....or
have players break arms during the game..... we were on top in the 07 final,
until SBW broke his arm..... last years semi we had BK playing with a
fractured eye-socket, Patten taken out, Goodwin and Hannant both mamed
with illegal tackles....... the scum seem to get the rub of the green and
the luck with injuries.......

Hopefully the next time we meet them, we have a full squad, and smash
the farkers, I am sick of losing to their overated,overhyped, and
over the cap team of chokers.....

HickeyTickey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we believe the hype, the sides we struggle against as a rule we give too much respect too.

Status
Not open for further replies.