Images/Photos

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So like I said I love all the older pics they are amazing but I’m trying to bring a little more modern but still classic vibe so this one is very random but I have lived in Marrickville for a long time and call it home and if you haven’t you probably will be like what the fuck are even these pics but if you have you will know it’s the holy grail..

View attachment 34589
View attachment 34590
View attachment 34591
View attachment 34592
View attachment 34593
I’d be interested so know if anyone can name any of these.

1. Cnr illawarra rd & marrickville rd
2. Addison rd
3. ?
4. Metro
5. Banana joes

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
@Chris Harding Im not sure if you have Instagram. However if you don’t it worth getting it for this guy. He is an English Trainspotter and just a really lovely kid gets so excited over some of the rolling stock it’s just a happy nice page.

View attachment 34663
No. I don't have Instagram; hardly ever use Facebook unless I'm posting pics of my tours for Railway Adventures.

Good on him. I know plenty like him through my involvement at the Australian Railway Historical Society. They have too much energy for a 73 year old like myself; and run rings around me for knowledge, too.

The UK is good place for train spotting, and rail museums with operating steam trains.
You are able cover a lot of ground in one day in a country where the furthest you can get from the coast is 75 miles.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dog trap box level crossing at Woodville road before the under pass.
Dog Trap Road was the original name for Woodville Road. The road ran from Granville to the suburb of Woodville.
The Geographical Names Board would not allow the town to register the name Woodville, because there were already two Woodvilles in the country, and before postcodes, mail was often going to the wrong towns. So, the residents swapped the syllables around and called it Villawood.
The road was never renamed.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 34620
Hydrofoil Fairlight - Sydney Harbour - 1979
These are still running on Lake Maggiore between Switzerland and Italy.

My late father-in-law worked on them when they came into Cockatoo Island for repairs - which were frequent. The problem for them was the propellers striking objects just under the surface, and damaging the blades. Their propellers didn't sit deep under the water when they were at operating speed, and there was too much rubbish in the harbour in those days.

Great trip to Manly, though - and fun when there were big swells running through the Heads. They couldn't broadside swells like the bigger ferries, so had to go out on an angle into the swells, then turn and ride them back.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So like I said I love all the older pics they are amazing but I’m trying to bring a little more modern but still classic vibe so this one is very random but I have lived in Marrickville for a long time and call it home and if you haven’t you probably will be like what the fuck are even these pics but if you have you will know it’s the holy grail..

View attachment 34589
View attachment 34590
View attachment 34591
View attachment 34592
View attachment 34593
I’d be interested so know if anyone can name any of these.
The glass pyramid, is that in the rooftop of Marrickville shopping centre?