If no Cheese, who the hell do we sign at 9?

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant see another year of JMK or Katoa, both wont find any other club in the Nrl when they leave us, and theres good reason for that, they are terrible. If we dont buy a 9 next year and some forwards, there will be a slight improvement but we stikl finish bottom 4.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Kenny and Turpin are the best 2 hookers off contract. Turpin unlikely due to already having a starting role at the Broncos and he'd be too expensive to lure away (also not in good form). Kenny would be a slight upgrade on what we have but not a significant one (stop gap solution, so another year of pain). There's been some rumblings Hodgson's not happy at the Raiders, but it looks like Ricky has backflipped on his original thoughts revolving Hodgson/Starling (Hodgson now starting hooker again). That's all we know at this stage. Like you said if we don't get the Cheese we're F'd.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Darryl Clarke would be the weapon we need at 9, it’s worth a shot. And he’s proven and will do good in the nrl.!!!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Surely there's some kid or some player in England, QLD, PNG that has some fukin unrecognised talent? FMD do we have scouts, is that even a thing anymore? Surely there's more than 5 or 6 good #9's in this world???

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Darryl Clarke would be the weapon we need at 9, it’s worth a shot. And he’s proven and will do good in the nrl.!!!
I can’t remember where I heard it but apparently d Clarke wants ridiculous money to come to the nrl 850k plus and the club would have to pay a transfer fee aswell. At that price I’d rather we give it to the cheese atleast he’s been playing in the nrl and is better imo

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t remember where I heard it but apparently d Clarke wants ridiculous money to come to the nrl 850k plus and the club would have to pay a transfer fee aswell. At that price I’d rather we give it to the cheese atleast he’s been playing in the nrl and is better imo
Absolutely NOT for an unproven in the NRL.

Players that are average and get cut from the NRL go over to the Super League and win their top Man of Steel award.

I am not saying he wouldn’t be good in the NRL if it was under $500k it’s worth the risk. Not at $850k however. The Cheese at $900k is a much better option.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are pretty much fucked at hooker unless something falls into our lap. The likes of Kenny aren’t going to solve the problem because he is in the JMK range of mediocre. We need a miracle it’s so frustrating to have this issue ongoing for so long and we won’t be making significant progress till it’s fixed.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely there's some kid or some player in England, QLD, PNG that has some fukin unrecognised talent? FMD do we have scouts, is that even a thing anymore? Surely there's more than 5 or 6 good #9's in this world???
Image1622842365.777068.jpg

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our scout is the daily telegraph. Player comes off contract we get linked to them. Get talked about for 6 months and they decide not to sign with us!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There’s plenty in the UK outside of D Clarke and I’d say there’s a couple in NSW cup and QLD cup that would go well, I wouldn’t spend that type of coin on a spine player outside of the NRL.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is contracted for 2022 at the Cowboys but has got little time under Todd Payten and I would certainly ask the question as a Depth Hooker who I have no doubt will be a regular 1st grade starter in the near future.

Reuben Cotter will be 23 at the end of the year and I like what I've seen of him.

If we don't get Cheese, then maybe land Josh Hodgson for 2 years & Reuben as his understudy to eventually take over.

I think JAC played with him this year in the Indigenous team if I recall correctly - Get on the phone Fox!!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
This is what we do.
If smith falls through,
We go Hodgson. We offer this white bourbon 700 in the first year (Canberra’s chucks in 100) and 550 for two years after that.
At which time, the Lebanese guy in our juniors will be ready alongside the Aussie dude.
Deitz is a goood backup.
If we can’t get Hodgson, we throw 759 at Clark. Works or it doesn’t.
If it doesn’t. We need to get creative. Sandow, Flanagan, Holland even. Someone who be a Half that can adapt or a stop gap gangsta until somebody show up next off season.
Flanagan is a home grown too 30 option.

Blueyy

Waterboy
Reaction score
Kenny and Turpin are the best 2 hookers off contract. Turpin unlikely due to already having a starting role at the Broncos and he'd be too expensive to lure away (also not in good form). Kenny would be a slight upgrade on what we have but not a significant one (stop gap solution, so another year of pain). There's been some rumblings Hodgson's not happy at the Raiders, but it looks like Ricky has backflipped on his original thoughts revolving Hodgson/Starling (Hodgson now starting hooker again). That's all we know at this stage. Like you said if we don't get the Cheese we're F'd.
Was kenny the penrith hooker from last night? Fuck he had a shocker, flashbacks of katoa

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do we have any young hookers coming through the grades? Flegg or NSW Cup?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Absolutely NOT for an unproven in the NRL.

Players that are average and get cut from the NRL go over to the Super League and win their top Man of Steel award.

I am not saying he wouldn’t be good in the NRL if it was under $500k it’s worth the risk. Not at $850k however. The Cheese at $900k is a much better option.
Cheese ain’t leaving , he wants to remain at the storm, he won’t be a bulldog it seems. we are far more likely to get SJ , and I’m all for it to partner burton with avo learning from him also.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Was kenny the penrith hooker from last night? Fuck he had a shocker, flashbacks of katoa
Exactly, and he's the best off contract. I think he's better than what he showed but it isn't a significant upgrade on what we have.