Idris Ready For Second Row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Well the last couple of weeks have proven something to me. Idris has fixed up his defence and proven he can compete in 'rep' football. So with our already slim second row should he be used as a second rower for the rest of this year? Our right side attack wouldn't necessarily be done any damage as i don't believe he and Turner have really gelled anyway. And imo Idris is built for the second row.

Though only real issue is who is to replace Idris at Centre? JTK or even Barba? I believe JTK was signed for this exact reason, to move to centre once Idris had matured and could slot into the second row. Though i don't belive that JTK is ready to start at centre. At least not from what i saw from him against Parra last week.

Probably too early? :confused:

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he'll be a roaming second rower in the future, but probably still has a year or two in the centres. He still has some work on reading defence but is getting better. He can pull of a massive hit but he can't just go for big hits all the time if he is in the middle. He would still need to work on his fitness as more defending would kill his attack, so I would leave him in the centres for a few more years.

S

Shermy

Im not sure he will ever end up a second rower.
He is a powerhouse and a sensation in the centres.

He is still a boy - there is still ALOT of baby fat on him.
Once his body hardens up and he gets used to the NRL grind - he will be close to unstopable.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
definitely has the size and strength for it. but not this early in his career...

Take Luke Lewis for example... and even though he doesn't have the size and strength of idris, he's definitely proven himself as more than just a winger.

When he started his career in the backline, i don't think many would've thought he'd be good enough to play in the halves or the forward pack at the panthers, yet he's done both...

Even Wendell Sailor spent some time playing for the broncos in the back row... it's all possible...

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
@Bry yeah i agree he does tend to rush up for the big hit a little too often. I think the Moore has instructed him to do this though when he's going up and in and is one on one with the opposition. I think he could easily fit into the second row very soon, though the main issue is his replacement at centre.

If he can develop and offload (like we saw against City a couple of times) then he will be a huge weapon in the second in the future. I just don't think we're using his full potential at centre. He's only 19 though so plenty of improvement yet :grinning:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The worst thing we can do is throw him to the lions and expect him to work miracles, the rest of the team has to lift to match his determination, 2nd row? maybe in a couple of years but he is going well as number 4.

sirpartyman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Chuck him in there hes a big boy he can handle himself:( 4jezeeeeeeeeee

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He gets tired enough making 5 tackles a game so I doubt making 20-25 tackles will leave him with any energy to do anything in attack.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if he ends up in the backrow in the next couple of years, then i'd look to possibly have ben roberts move to centre and then look at a number of up and coming players with potential who could slot in at pivot

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
na no way he is like lote and the like got the size to play second row but to skilled

B4L

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i think if indris gain more speed and more power in his hits he will be better then $BW

filto666

Doginator
Reaction score
I think it would be a waste to put him in the 2nd row.

I believe he would excell and do a great job there but he is so young and already proving that he has so much potential to play good footy, let the guy shine in the centres and let his brain expand into a footballer that can not only run over people and hit people but can also spot a gap, offload under pressure and catch the high ball!

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Well the last couple of weeks have proven something to me. Idris has fixed up his defence and proven he can compete in 'rep' football. So with our already slim second row should he be used as a second rower for the rest of this year? Our right side attack wouldn't necessarily be done any damage as i don't believe he and Turner have really gelled anyway. And imo Idris is built for the second row.

Though only real issue is who is to replace Idris at Centre? JTK or even Barba? I believe JTK was signed for this exact reason, to move to centre once Idris had matured and could slot into the second row. Though i don't belive that JTK is ready to start at centre. At least not from what i saw from him against Parra last week.

Probably too early? :confused:
Nice thread.

I think that Idris will more than likely play in the centres over the next couple of years and play representative football there too. It's hard to predict what will happen in a few years time. If for example, we unearth a centre with his class and still have Morris on the other side, then there is a case to move Idris to the backrow.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@Bry yeah i agree he does tend to rush up for the big hit a little too often. I think the Moore has instructed him to do this though when he's going up and in and is one on one with the opposition. I think he could easily fit into the second row very soon, though the main issue is his replacement at centre.

If he can develop and offload (like we saw against City a couple of times) then he will be a huge weapon in the second in the future. I just don't think we're using his full potential at centre. He's only 19 though so plenty of improvement yet :grinning:
Don't throw him there yet...

Tbh its partially the reason why SBW was in a way ruined very early in his career, he had the most impact in the forward pack but his body just wasn't developed enough, he should've been left in the centres. I doubt they will want to make the same mistake twice, Idris needs time to train his body before moving into the forward pack.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't throw him there yet...

Tbh its partially the reason why SBW was in a way ruined very early in his career, he had the most impact in the forward pack but his body just wasn't developed enough, he should've been left in the centres. I doubt they will want to make the same mistake twice, Idris needs time to train his body before moving into the forward pack.
x10

You have said exactly what I thought SBW was ready mentally to play 2nd row and I think Idris can do it and do it well as well but putting his young body where he is still developing into making 20+ tackles a game and running at 110kg guys will stuff his knees up like with SBW.

Keep him in the centres he is doing a great job there his only issue is his turning speed once a player gets outside of him he is in trouble but tackling someone front on he has produced the biggest hits from our whole team this year and in recent times.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
he is still growing so no not ready yet. He will most likely suffer SBW like injuries when we switched him from centre to 2nd row.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
I remember Bennett putting Wendell in the back row (mid 90s)

Didnt work out all that well

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG. His a frekn centre.

What is this obsession to push him in the 2nd row?

He is a centre. He is finally learning his trade there offensively and defencively and you call for a move?

No way. His running style is a centre's style, getting to the outside and using the fend. He could be up there with Inglis pretty soon if he continues his good work.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Early days but he could eventually end up in the forwards but he is still developing and there is no need to rush him there yet.

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
I hate moving centres to the second row, someone with his level of skill shouldn't be doing all that grunt work in the forwards. I reckon we should of left SBW in the centres. he copped a lot of injuries from the 4th guy into the tackle, wouldn't of happened out in the centres.

Status
Not open for further replies.