I went to a dog park, it opened my eyes

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pit bulls are a shit breed. They shouldn't even exist since its been illegal to breed them for a while now. Would have been a good way to disperse the crowd though, non pitbull owning dog owners are scared of them being around their dogs, with good reason.
There's no bad dogs,just bad owners. In saying that Chihuahua's are a bread with few redeeming qualities

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Problem with owning dogs is that people buy a dog to boost their personality.
Its more important to select a dog that fits in to their new environment.
Some dogs need a lot of space, some seem to sleep a lot. Make sure you pick the right one.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
My border collie x kelpie was recently mauled by a pit bull which broke free from its owner whilst on a walk. Very lucky to be alive and I can tell you it was an extremely traumatic couple of minutes.

There are absolutely no place for those breeds in society.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My border collie x kelpie was recently mauled by a pit bull which broke free from its owner whilst on a walk. Very lucky to be alive and I can tell you it was an extremely traumatic couple of minutes.

There are absolutely no place for those breeds in society.
I agree to the most part. This is the problem many don't get. My sister and her husband have pitbulls and they're fine. They're well trained to the point that if a baby clawed their eyes out, they wouldn't attack it.

But that's extensive training to get them to that stage. Most people aren't going to do that kind of training.

I often see people say, "it's the owner, not the breed", and I believe I've said that myself in the past. But it's an ill-educated point of view.

Over the last 10,000 years, humans bred dogs to be loyal, and that includes reduces aggression. Some breeds are more loyal and less aggressive. And that's genetics. That's the breed of the dog.

Of course if you fully train a pitbull then it's going to be the most loyal and least aggressive dog. And if you mistreat a golden retriever then it's going to bite you. But if you don't train either dog fully, one will ignore your orders. The other will maul a baby to death.

Personally I think that certain breeds shouldn't be banned, but they should be registered like a weapon with training requirements.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree to the most part. This is the problem many don't get. My sister and her husband have pitbulls and they're fine. They're well trained to the point that if a baby clawed their eyes out, they wouldn't attack it.

But that's extensive training to get them to that stage. Most people aren't going to do that kind of training.

I often see people say, "it's the owner, not the breed", and I believe I've said that myself in the past. But it's an ill-educated point of view.

Over the last 10,000 years, humans bred dogs to be loyal, and that includes reduces aggression. Some breeds are more loyal and less aggressive. And that's genetics. That's the breed of the dog.

Of course if you fully train a pitbull then it's going to be the most loyal and least aggressive dog. And if you mistreat a golden retriever then it's going to bite you. But if you don't train either dog fully, one will ignore your orders. The other will maul a baby to death.

Personally I think that certain breeds shouldn't be banned, but they should be registered like a weapon with training requirements.
Interesting. Have they put it to the test with the baby gouging it’s eyes successfully without eliciting a reaction from the pitbull? I’m sure they haven’t and I certainly hope they never would.

An old friend of mine had a pitbull and put endless hours of training into it and nearly had me convinced that it was harmless as I’d spent a fair bit of time around it and it seemed placid enough. Then one day she brought it out to a picnic in the park and it just snapped out of the blue on one poor bloke. Lock jawed onto his arm and ended up taking half of his forearm with him once he finally released. The dog was destroyed soon after and she was left with a significant medical bill to cover old mates horrific injury.

Seriously what is the point of owning one?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting. Have they put it to the test with the baby gouging it’s eyes successfully without eliciting a reaction from the pitbull? I’m sure they haven’t and I certainly hope they never would.

An old friend of mine had a pitbull and put endless hours of training into it and nearly had me convinced that it was harmless as I’d spent a fair bit of time around it and it seemed placid enough. Then one day she brought it out to a picnic in the park and it just snapped out of the blue on one poor bloke. Lock jawed onto his arm and ended up taking half of his forearm with him once he finally released. The dog was destroyed soon after and she was left with a significant medical bill to cover old mates horrific injury.

Obviously they're not going to get a baby to poke a dog's eye out to see its reaction. That has so many levels of ethical problems.

But they have tested levels of training on aggression other ways. And from what I've seen of the research, it takes a certain level of training to remove all aggression and it's a level most people will never make.

Pitbulls are tricky for two reasons:

1) they're descended from a line of fighting dogs. They were bred for fighting. But so were Bulldogs and Terriers

2) they're strong. Chihuahua's have a higher level of natural aggression but the fact that they're not strong mitigates that

But like with any animal. Basic psychological training and conditioning can make them completely harmless. But it's unlikely your average person will reach that level of training.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree about the training aspect. But the people who want Pit Bulls, usually dont want a
sedentary type of dog.
The Pit Bulls biggest problem is that they are unreliable. They can be sweet one day and attack you the next.
I honestly believe all male Pit Bulls should be neutered. Eventually the breed will die out.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Fucking NONE AT ALL

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Pitbulls are barely a real breed here though, I bet most people here see an Amstaff or American. Bully and think Pitbull. Most people I've seen claim that have a Pitbull don't actually have one lol.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Pitbulls are barely a real breed here though, I bet most people here see an Amstaff or American. Bully and think Pitbull. Most people I've seen claim that have a Pitbull don't actually have one lol.
This - Can even own a pure bred pitbull in Aus? I thought they were on the restricted breed list?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This - Can even own a pure bred pitbull in Aus? I thought they were on the restricted breed list?
They're not banned but a restricted breed, so you have to meet certain conditions like having a properly secured yard with fencing, muzzling the dogs in public, etc. Even then it depends on state and council if you can actually register it. It also applies to "Pitbull like breeds" and not just a so called Pitbull....so it's basically a mess deciding what is or isn't a Pitbull.

I wouldn't bother with the breed personally, they look great and can be fun dogs to play with but I really don't need a dog that was originally made to kill bulls lol.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
The lounge should be renamed to reaffirmation of mainstream ignorance.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Well, don't know if this OT (since it seems to be a pit bull thread) but just clocked a dude at my dog park. I've two collies, the boy is bit of a shit head but the girl is fine. Friendly dog. Hear a dog fight from the other end of the park and see my girl collie on her back with a husky ripping at her throat. This husky had already attacked two other dogs. Dude call his husky off. Now if it was my male collie, no issues, he's a bit retarded and gets possessive about shit and never sure if he starts fights. The girl - no issues - harmless apart from being a chaser. I tell the fckr to keep his fckng dog under control. He tells me to GGF. I said sweet fckwit, go out the dog park and read the fcking sign that tells you to keep your dog under control you stupid fck. He says fck off you old cnt or I'll belt ya. Dude is a 20 something baker, I'm a 50 something scientist.

I'm like yippee. So front him up - so what the fck r u gunna do. He has a swing, sway back and clock him with the overhand left. Follow up with a short right on the buzzer. Other dudes in the park come running and break it up. Said, yeah, this old cnt just whipped your arse. Dumb cnt says I'm calling the police, I said sure. You can tell them that you threatened me, you swung first and you cannot fight for shit. Happy to put the dogs in the car and wait for them if you want. Might be a scientist but I'm an old houso kid, you can take the boy out of houso but not the houso out of the boy. 8-) Anyways, him and his missus fckd off after that. Hopefully thats the end of them.

Anyways, long story short. this cnt and his husky has been a pest for a long time. Attacking dogs for no reason, and just sitting there and calling it playing. This fckr once abused a 60 year overweight woman coz she asked him to keep his dog under control. No one at my dog park has an issue with dogs fighting as long as the owners 1) break it up straight away and 2) if the dog is continuing to do it, you put your dog on the lead and if u cannot control it - don't go to the dog park.

Anyways, sitting at home now and wondering if the boys are gunna pay me a visit. Hope so. Haven't had this much fun in years...

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Well, don't know if this OT (since it seems to be a pit bull thread) but just clocked a dude at my dog park. I've two collies, the boy is bit of a shit head but the girl is fine. Friendly dog. Hear a dog fight from the other end of the park and see my girl collie on her back with a husky ripping at her throat. This husky had already attacked two other dogs. Dude call his husky off. Now if it was my male collie, no issues, he's a bit retarded and gets possessive about shit and never sure if he starts fights. The girl - no issues - harmless apart from being a chaser. I tell the fckr to keep his fckng dog under control. He tells me to GGF. I said sweet fckwit, go out the dog park and read the fcking sign that tells you to keep your dog under control you stupid fck. He says fck off you old cnt or I'll belt ya. Dude is a 20 something baker, I'm a 50 something scientist.

I'm like yippee. So front him up - so what the fck r u gunna do. He has a swing, sway back and clock him with the overhand left. Follow up with a short right on the buzzer. Other dudes in the park come running and break it up. Said, yeah, this old cnt just whipped your arse. Dumb cnt says I'm calling the police, I said sure. You can tell them that you threatened me, you swung first and you cannot fight for shit. Happy to put the dogs in the car and wait for them if you want. Might be a scientist but I'm an old houso kid, you can take the boy out of houso but not the houso out of the boy. 8-) Anyways, him and his missus fckd off after that. Hopefully thats the end of them.

Anyways, long story short. this cnt and his husky has been a pest for a long time. Attacking dogs for no reason, and just sitting there and calling it playing. This fckr once abused a 60 year overweight woman coz she asked him to keep his dog under control. No one at my dog park has an issue with dogs fighting as long as the owners 1) break it up straight away and 2) if the dog is continuing to do it, you put your dog on the lead and if u cannot control it - don't go to the dog park.

Anyways, sitting at home now and wondering if the boys are gunna pay me a visit. Hope so. Haven't had this much fun in years...
No ordinary day then mate. Good work and nice combo, sounds like he deserved it the prick. Hope your doggo is alright.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
No ordinary day then mate. Good work and nice combo, sounds like he deserved it the prick. Hope your doggo is alright.
Normally getting her out of the dog park is a big thing. Today, she was waiting at the gate and jumped straight into the car. Seems ok, no physical damage from what I can tell but can tell she's a bit sketchy atm. Most of the reg's at the park are old, female or just not prepared to make a deal out of it. Almost got a standing applause from these guys.

Funny though - after they fckd off one of his friends tried to make peace. Made it simple, you might think your dog is just fckng around but do all the other dog owners who have different views have to put up with it. Still wouldn't buy it.

Fckn entitled millennials. Some of them need a flogging to teach them not to be tools.

Thanks for asking though bro. And ftr - no visit yet from the boys :innocent:

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Normally getting her out of the dog park is a big thing. Today, she was waiting at the gate and jumped straight into the car. Seems ok, no physical damage from what I can tell but can tell she's a bit sketchy atm. Most of the reg's at the park are old, female or just not prepared to make a deal out of it. Almost got a standing applause from these guys.

Funny though - after they fckd off one of his friends tried to make peace. Made it simple, you might think your dog is just fckng around but do all the other dog owners who have different views have to put up with it. Still wouldn't buy it.

Fckn entitled millennials. Some of them need a flogging to teach them not to be tools.

Thanks for asking though bro. And ftr - no visit yet from the boys :innocent:
She's probably shaken up a bit like you said, just needs some extra love. Hope he learns his lesson mate Your dog probably thinks you are a superhero