I think the future is England

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
With TPJ and Pele going and the mad drama with Sutton and RFM, and even the potential failure of SST’s medical, we is going to be cashed up with green and no one to spend it on.

There is already a clue that SST was enticed, but I think we might see a panic situation where Gus raids England like
he Vikings did for hard nosed prop talent. Which is exactly what they have and we need.
Starch, concrete, more fire in their eyes than the Alemaddines
We can pt transfer fees that’s no problem.
But who are we going to target?
Lees?
Knowles?
Vaughan?
Even Walmsley?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And they thought the future was here . . .I think you may be right though.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
With TPJ and Pele going and the mad drama with Sutton and RFM, and even the potential failure of SST’s medical, we is going to be cashed up with green and no one to spend it on.

There is already a clue that SST was enticed, but I think we might see a panic situation where Gus raids England like
he Vikings did for hard nosed prop talent. Which is exactly what they have and we need.
Lees?
Knowles?
Vaughan?
Even Walmsley?
No need to waste cash, but England or somewhere other than this diluted player market, there are options

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Options everywhere tbh, code hoppers is definitely a thing. Look in the right places probably a lot of super start talent unknown and wiring to be unleashed if found.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I have identifies these without looking to hard into it;
Morgan knowles
Mike Cooper (1 yr only)
Alex Walmsley (1 yr only)
Matt Lees
Mikolaj Oledzki
Paul Vaughan
Luke Yates
No doubt 1/2 others

Last edited:

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, let’s get some players who are rated worse than Thommo. England recruitment will always be hit and miss.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

Lees?
Knowles?
Vaughan?
Even Walmsley?
England's best will always be reserve-grade quality here.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
..with the odd outlier of Burgess, Graham, Morley etc. the standard is getting worse over there IMO. There best bet is to come over here young like farnsworth and dom young

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Such a messed up thing to say Habibi.

Tom Burgess
Luke Burgess
Gareth Ellis
Sam Burgess
George Burgess
James Graham
Luke Thompson
Harbie Fernworth
Luke Bateman
John Bateman
Dom Young
George Williams
Brian Carney

All current stars of the nrl or have been the last ten years

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Tom Burgess
Luke Burgess
Gareth Ellis
Sam Burgess
George Burgess
James Graham
Luke Thompson
Harbie Fernworth
Luke Bateman
John Bateman
Dom Young
George Williams
Brian Carney

You missed luke and john Batemans cousin...master Bateman the British jew

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah, let’s get some players who are rated worse than Thommo. England recruitment will always be hit and miss.
Morgan Knowles is tougher than Thompson and embraces contact in defence alot more. Would be an ideal lock for us tbh

Wahesh

Reaction score

Tom Burgess
Luke Burgess
Gareth Ellis
Sam Burgess
George Burgess
James Graham
Luke Thompson
Harbie Fernworth
Luke Bateman
John Bateman
Dom Young
George Williams
Brian Carney

Graham is the only one worthy on that list. All the Burgess boys were cats. Remember Sam hit David Klemmer when he was being held back?

Wahesh

Reaction score
..with the odd outlier of Burgess, Graham, Morley etc. the standard is getting worse over there IMO. There best bet is to come over here young like farnsworth and dom young
You missed luke and john Batemans cousin...master Bateman the British jew
I won't deny that every now and then they produce a good player or two, but going over there is laughable. Our best bet... get a junior club in Queensland. That's what the Storm do.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's obviously a lot of talent in England and there's probably better talent available than the dregs that are off contract in the NRL.. The problem is the huge transfer fees Super League clubs want and how long negotiations take..

Obviously transfer fees are outside the cap and the club can afford it, but SL clubs often make unrealistic demands and even a rich club like ours probably wouldn't want to pay 2-3 huge transfer fees on more gambles that could end up being another Luke Thompson.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't deny that every now and then they produce a good player or two, but going over there is laughable. Our best bet... get a junior club in Queensland. That's what the Storm do.
We're affiliated with Toowoomba clydesdale in Queensland thanks to Gus also Canterbury NZ Competition. If we had these pathways done many years ago we'd be a different club. Thankfully we got a man named Gus Gould who's thinking of the future.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For those that also follow the rugby, these blokes would come in handy without being super unrealistic although Shannon Frizell probably no chance.

Attachments

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Options everywhere tbh, code hoppers is definitely a thing. Look in the right places probably a lot of super start talent unknown and wiring to be unleashed if found.
Well it worked bigtime with James Graham, failed miserably with Thompson. On Thompson. If he wasn't injured or suspended for a big chunk of his 3 years here, I do wonder if he would of ever lived up to his hype.
Dogs supporters are sick of getting up, looking forward to welcoming big names like Burton, TPJ, Thompson to the squad, only to see their elite games are far too rare.
I'm thinking Dogs supporters would trade the highly unlikely premiership in the foreseeable future for simply a side hat has a go, melds together, busts their ass, makes us proud of their effort, week in week out, like the way we played often under Dean Pay.
Next year is the 20th anniversary of our last premiership. My fear is that we are no closer to one than when Hasler left.

Wahesh

Reaction score
We're affiliated with Toowoomba clydesdale in Queensland thanks to Gus also Canterbury NZ Competition. If we had these pathways done many years ago we'd be a different club. Thankfully we got a man named Gus Gould who's thinking of the future.
I remember at one stage in 2001, we had 7 QLDers - Dennis Scott, Craig Polla-Mounter, Travis Norton, Steve Price, Nathan Sologinkin, Shane Perry, and Shane Marteene. We didn't even have a QLD feeder club back then - that's how damn good we were!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I remember at one stage in 2001, we had 7 QLDers - Dennis Scott, Craig Polla-Mounter, Travis Norton, Steve Price, Nathan Sologinkin, Shane Perry, and Shane Marteene. We didn't even have a QLD feeder club back then - that's how damn good we were!
We’ve always had an infinity with qld based players & they’ve usually been really good for us too. Maybe some good talent in the QCup? For any locals, anyone worth looking at?

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
PNG, Qld and Pacific Islands likely to yield better results than England. In the ESL, defence is pretty much optional which makes for a better spectator/broadcast product over there but makes it difficult for many UK players when they come to Australia.