I hate to say it but are looking at a wooden spoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but are we looking like a wooden spoon in 2018?

When parra get their act together there is temendous upside in that team.

Tigers and newcastle have proven they are more than a nuisance in 2018 and will gove the top 8 a good shake.

Titans even shown they can do a bit on their day.

I dont see much upside with us. We are generally competitive but dont have fierce defence. Keiran foran seems to be going sideways also and the morris boys are just too old these days. We lose out on all the little 1% factors in a game, hasler had that part of our game right.

I hate to say it but i think a wooden spoon is evident.

At least hasler would devise a plan to make us a top 8 team, competitive with our defense at least even if we cant score points.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes I hate to be negative but was thinking about it over the weekend, we are near certain to take this out. Titans are going ok won 3 and para have a better rooster and may come good. Wests and Newcastle are better teams. I'm not blaming Pay it was always going to be a rebuilding year.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s definitely a possibility!!

But I don’t think we will get the spoon.
The Eels will be favourites over us an I believe
We will win a few more games than them lol

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I tipped the Tigers to get the spoon, fmd.

It is still way too early to tell what will happen this season, but based on current form we are definitely the worst team in the comp.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be either Parra or us by the looks of things.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes i believe we will get the spoon at the moment. Long way to go and i hope they prove me wrong but i just cant see us winning too many games. We need new blood from ISP team to come and at least give us a young team not an old under performing team

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I hate to say it but are we looking like a wooden spoon in 2018?

When parra get their act together there is temendous upside in that team.

Tigers and newcastle have proven they are more than a nuisance in 2018 and will gove the top 8 a good shake.

Titans even shown they can do a bit on their day.

I dont see much upside with us. We are generally competitive but dont have fierce defence. Keiran foran seems to be going sideways also and the morris boys are just too old these days. We lose out on all the little 1% factors in a game, hasler had that part of our game right.

I hate to say it but i think a wooden spoon is evident.

At least hasler would devise a plan to make us a top 8 team, competitive with our defense at least even if we cant score points.
I'd prefer a wooden spoon than another boring 7th or 8th place finish if it comes as a result of changes being made and a plan being put in place to recruit the right players to the right positions and generally steering us back towards top 4 within a few years.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe that we have the worst roster in the comp, our problem is that players are not giving 100 percent both at training and on the field, once you start losing heart for what ever reason not only your form but also your ability goes down hill.
All the player we lost recently and wish we still had, Tapau Finucane, ESE'ESE, Perret, Lane and even Thurston, would not be as good if we had held on to them.
WHY: Negative Media, Referees, have all contributed to make our club a depressing place to play for, and the depatrure of Dib won't change the situation quickly if at all.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its not our roster. Its our attitude in defense. James Graham and Mick Ennis inspired the boys in defense. They would tackle and yell at the boys (Mitch Brown) . Jackson works very hard but im not sure he has the same sort of effect on the boys.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easily the shittest team in the comp atm. What happened to this once great club
Bad management, bad coach (Hasler) and players show no pride, it's also about the I reckon. money. Going to be a few years before were top 4 material

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't go off topic - but how the hell did we release Damien Cook? He's absolutely tearing it up at Souths and is even being spoken about as a bolter for a NSW Origin bench spot.

Recruitment / retention decisions like these are the reason why we are going to have to be patient for a number of years before we are able to consistently compete with the best teams in the comp.

We don't look dangerous with the ball in hand (largely), we don't look dangerous or hit very hard in defence, we don't have a lot of energy from players in their youth (aka Morris brothers, Tolman etc), and we don't really have any x factors apart from Mbye, but even he struggles with some parts of his game like pushing up in support of our forwards.

As fans we have to be real and recognise this and be patient instead of blowing up and getting all emotional every time we lose a game.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't go off topic - but how the hell did we release Damien Cook?
Because Des does not like dynamic hookers, he thinks all they should do is tackle and pass.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not our roster. Its our attitude in defense. James Graham and Mick Ennis inspired the boys in defense. They would tackle and yell at the boys (Mitch Brown) . Jackson works very hard but im not sure he has the same sort of effect on the boys.
I’d almost go to say it’s our defensive structures. I do not believe for a second that our attitude in defence has changed, something in the structures has changed. I do not have a trained enough eye to detect what it is.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Oh yeah just like he did last year.........wait a minute!
He's right though, this is why Hasler came up with the digusting style, cause it was the only chance that this squad had any cance of compeitng. In the end not even Des could compte mask his horrble recruitment, and wedid hom a favour by sacking him....Now por Deano is left with a really weak squad who hasnt played normal fotball in years. It will take a few years to undo what es has done...We prbably should f played things down earlier in the year to keep fans expectations low. Terms like 'rebuilding' were never used...

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I feel like Brisbane are a team that is eyeing of the spoon more than us

Status
Not open for further replies.