News I guess all the talk about pay losing the dressing room might be true

stinkypinky

Kennel Established
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/s...y/news-story/d8fbd6fe0bc8111065f3f2714e942570

June 3, 2019 12:22pm

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay is again the most under-pressure coach in the NRL with a new report of player dissent at Canterbury.

Fresh from a miserable loss to the under-strength Raiders on Saturday night, the pressure is building on Pay.

The Bulldogs have dropped to the bottom of the NRL ladder with just three wins from 12 games.

The Daily Telegraph on Monday reported Bulldogs players are beginning to question the coach’s performance and his tactics.

“Questions need to be asked about why Pay’s contract was extended earlier this year,” editor-at-large Phil Rothfield wrote on Monday.

“There are rumblings from the players about their preparation and tactics. This story will not go away anytime soon.”

The Bulldogs handed Pay a 12-month contract extension earlier this year, despite the club’s concerning start to the season.

It is the same mistake the club made under its previous board of directors when Des Hasler was granted a long-term contract extension in the same year he was eventually terminated.

Pay on Saturday night pleaded for Bulldogs supporters to keep the faith in the direction the team is heading in.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing new to read here, just verbatim of what Buzz said on Controversy Corner.

The title messed with my head though, thought it meant Sharks (as in club) we’re circling Pay if he got the boot?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So the sharks are circling him as he's in trouble lol, not Cronulla being stupid enough to take him on...

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Bye, bye Mr Dean Pay
Drove my Bulldogs to the field but my coaching was dry
And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singin' this'll be the day that I get fired
This'll be the day that I get fired...

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is coaching a losing side on the field so why not be a loser off the field too.....

I was one willing to give Pay a go, a chance to show that he could come up with tactics that were better and different to that of the previous coach we had...unfortunately he is going down the same path with no plan B, just more of the same; no kicking game, one out runs and forwards getting in the way; well at least up until this point there are no short drop outs....

On the other hand, we may not have the team to actually execute any intelligent set moves. Do we even have a competent kicker in the squad or one that can at least find the grass rather than kicking directly to the fullback or wingers?

Is it them or the coach because when they get in an attacking situation they are clueless; got to be one or the other no ability or no genuine game plan.

No wonder Reimis Smith is playing so poorly at the moment; he has forgotten what it feels like to actually get the ball cleanly because all our last plays are put up the bomb to the attacking teams left hand side and show no urgency in the chase. In break down of play we show no urgency either rather we lumber to the scrum and wait until the very last second to feed it or in a lot of cases drop the ball on the first tackle meaning we get no consistent play.....

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay on Saturday night pleaded for Bulldogs supporters to "keep the faith in the direction the team is heading in".

I know we aren't that intelligent but I can work out that the direction we are heading in is nowhere other than backwards which is exactly what I am doing and walking backwards from the turnstiles.

JOHNY BULLDOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Taking too long to drop Liccha,persisting with players in poor form or out of position,not promoting Ogden sooner or To'omaga at all,no apparent game plan...I've tried to support Pay but droping CHN on the weekend over bloody Elliot & all the other shit was the last straw for me.I love my Doggies & I'll support them till I die but FMD this is depressing shit...Pay has to go now before he causes more player unrest & disharmony.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
something tells me the extension to pay must have had a performance based clause in there for the additional 12 mths... either that or this board is dumber than we think...

Reactions: CCC

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
and btw, buzz rothfield and all the other so called journos can all fuck off

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Taking too long to drop Liccha,persisting with players in poor form or out of position,not promoting Ogden sooner or To'omaga at all,no apparent game plan...I've tried to support Pay but droping CHN on the weekend over bloody Elliot & all the other shit was the last straw for me.I love my Doggies & I'll support them till I die but FMD this is depressing shit...Pay has to go now before he causes more player unrest & disharmony.
Seems that's the only sensible way out of this hey. Keep Dean as an asst if he wants to save face at all.

I enquired on another thread but can someone confirm the NRL Fox commentators statement by Noddy etc that Pay was making CHN play 40 mins in Cant Cup to prove his defensive capabilities and could then come back into fg? Surely not allowable?

If so that is just plain stupid and belittling to both concerned and no players (or team for that matter) would ever respond to a coach carrying on like that.

Noddy etc must have got that wrong surely.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems that's the only sensible way out of this hey. Keep Dean as an asst if he wants to save face at all.

I enquired on another thread but can someone confirm the NRL Fox commentators statement by Noddy etc that Pay was making CHN play 40 mins in Cant Cup to prove his defensive capabilities and could then come back into fg? Surely not allowable?

If so that is just plain stupid and belittling to both concerned and no players (or team for that matter) would ever respond to a coach carrying on like that.

Noddy etc must have got that wrong surely.
This shows you how out dated Pay is! You'd see this type of thing back in the 90's.

Another thing is you have to be consistent with this type of "punishment". Jackson and Elliot have been just as guilty of major defensive errors this year and there is no way Pay would do this to them.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If hes lost the dressing room then there's no point in waiting cause nothing is going to change they have to do it now not the end of the season, do they really want the fans to suffer watching this rabble going on for weeks

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefuly they learned from the des contract saga and had a performance clause put in as a backstop

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Keep Pay as an assistant? What are you idiots talking about? Doesn't matter how good he may or may not be, it wouldn't be fair on any incoming coach ....

The issue for me is simple. There doesn't seem to be any vision or direction to how the team is playing or going to play. If I could see what we're looking to do then I'd be more comfortable with things. However, it just seems as though we have no long-term plan to anything. ANYTHING.

Absolutely nothing that was talked about in pre-season by the players and coaching staff has come to fruition. Sick of people saying "The roster isn't good enough" No, it isn't to win the premiership or perhaps even to get into the top 8. But it's good enough to have a certain playing style. To be much more competitive.

We're not good enough and that solely rests on Pay.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its all true about pay if his game plan dosent work well lets just follow the game plan anyway. Its obvious to all he is not able to do this on his own. Either his assistants are just as bad or his like des stubborn. The fact like a quality winger like smith is starved off the ball and when he gets it everyone expects miracles from crap passes. Nah its not the players this squad should be able to win these games. when he drops players back to reggies they come back and try their guts out. Eg monty, sue, critchen.
Pay has to cop this and just wonder if he has been given the word if not more disaster