Opinion I’m sorry Matt Burton

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He almost had three try assists last night and scored a try.

More try assists and tries will come soon. It doesn't help that he's surrounded by nobodies. It's hard to single handedly score tries and get try assists when you average 10 points as a team and the fullback, halfback, hooker and lock aren't FG standard.

You really need to forget about Averillo. He's average, has a shitty attitude and doesn't belong in the same conversation as Burton.
Almost? He didn't though. All you do is make excuses for Burton game after game, facts are if he was actually as good as you think he is he would be doing more. He's a great talent and one of the best young halves in the game but the reality is that in this moment he isn't even close to the level we need him to be.

Why forget about Jake? If he's all that you say he is then WHY did he do more last season in a worse team than Burton is doing now? So many of you guys on here still don't get it.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Stats can serve a purpose and help tell the story but context is always needed. Burton's stats looked great last night but he looked better than his stats read. And people are still criticising him.

Last night Burton and Fox tried everything they could to win that game and played their asses off. No one should be questioning those two as they're trying all they can and we're seeing their quality shine through the last few weeks. It's just too bad they're surrounded by players who either don't care or aren't good enough.
No one is doubting their effort, it's just Burto needs the space to utilise his attacking prowess. He is doing a good job at 6 but like I said before, he is devastating in the centres. With better players around him it would be a different story, but we don't have that right now. I'm not sure what the answer is but I do know we need to keep him in the team.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No one is doubting their effort, it's just Burto needs the space to utilise his attacking prowess. He is doing a good job at 6 but like I said before, he is devastating in the centres. With better players around him it would be a different story, but we don't have that right now. I'm not sure what the answer is but I do know we need to keep him in the team.
Any running 6 would look amazing with another gun 6 and halfback inside them lol.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Almost? He didn't though. All you do is make excuses for Burton game after game, facts are if he was actually as good as you think he is he would be doing more. He's a great talent and one of the best young halves in the game but the reality is that in this moment he isn't even close to the level we need him to be.

Why forget about Jake? If he's all that you say he is then WHY did he do more last season in a worse team than Burton is doing now? So many of you guys on here still don't get it.
I don't need to make excuses for him. He played well last night. Anyone who thinks otherwise is taking the piss.

You're right.. It's all Burton's fault we only score 10 points a game. He's shit. Drop him. Put Averillo at halfback and Wakeham at 5/8th and watch the try involvements flow..

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t know why he is the kicker. If Flanagan is in the side @ 70% plus average why is he not kicking?
This has me mystified as well. Can only think that maybe a new 7 is lined up for next season, who isn't a kicker and thus the need for Burton to kick. Otherwise, it's an appallingly stupid decision.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You're right.. It's all Burton's fault we only score 10 points a game. He's shit. Drop him. Put Averillo at halfback and Wakeham at 5/8th and watch the try involvements flow..
Where did I say drop him or that it's all his fault? All I'm saying is that overall he isn't providing anymore points than those before him. Players before him got criticised yet we can't criticise him in the exact same (arguably better) circumstances? You know damn well any other player would be copping it for 4 try involvements in 9 games.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This has me mystified as well. Can only think that maybe a new 7 is lined up for next season, who isn't a kicker and thus the need for Burton to kick. Otherwise, it's an appallingly stupid decision.
Prob the one decent thing Flanno offers is goal kicking

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People still saying he's a centre..

- He scored a try.
- He broke through and set up another but it was ruled an obstruction.
- He almost kicked for a try for Addo-Carr but he knocked it on.
- He kicked from inside his own half for Fox to make a break
- He almost kicked for a try from inside his own half to Dufty..

What centre makes those plays aside from Jamie Lyon in his prime? He does all the general kicking and is playing with a park footy fullback, halfback, hooker and lock. How the fuck does anyone watch that game and still think he's not a half?
And when Cleary or Luai were out, Penrith moved him to the halves every single time, rather than bringing in the lower grade halves and keeping him in the centres. He'd played centre because he was good enough to do so very well and also too talented to be left out of the team.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Where did I say drop him or that it's all his fault? All I'm saying is that overall he isn't providing anymore points than those before him. Players before him got criticised yet we can't criticise him in the exact same (arguably better) circumstances? You know damn well any other player would be copping it for 4 try involvements in 9 games.
He has been criticised this season plenty. Some of it was deserved. I said myself he played badly against Manly, Melbourne, Penrith etc and needed to play better. But he was great last night and is still somehow getting criticised.. He's showing signs of improvement the last few weeks and growing in confidence. Burton is the least of our worries right now.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We are so fucking screwed in the 7 lmao. There is no good 7s on the market, all our 7s are either crushed in confidence and have had such poor development (BBO, Averillo) or they just fucking stink (Flanagan, Wakeham). We drop Flanagan than his bitchass starts crying in reserve grade. I want BBO to not play a game for the rest of the year along with the other young guys like Averillo and Patolo. Just right this year off completely right fuckn now so that no young guys are blooded at all and let it all be just the off contract frauds that will never see the nrl at any other club.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He's kicking at 46% lol, he isn't a goal kicker and I said as much when he was first handed the kicking tee. Flanagan kicks @ 77%, Jake @ 80% and Schoupp I haven't seen much off but currently kicks @ 86% in reserve grade lol. Burton is definitely well behind the first two and maybe even Schoupp.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's kicking at 46% lol, he isn't a goal kicker and I said as much when he was first handed the kicking tee. Flanagan kicks @ 77%, Jake @ 80% and Schoupp I haven't seen much off but currently kicks @ 86% in reserve grade lol. Burton is definitely well behind the first two and maybe even Schoupp.
Wow, Schoupp at 86%? If he's likely to be in the team long term and kicking like that, surely he's the obvious choice. There's just no justification for such poor team decision making.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wow, Schoupp at 86%? If he's likely to be in the team long term and kicking like that, surely he's the obvious choice. There's just no justification for such poor team decision making.
I think he's only kicked like 6 goals hahaha, but just looking at him kick a few times he looks to be a better option. Maybe Burton nails them at training yet bottles it during the game? Maybe Burton wants to kick? Who knows with our club..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We are so fucking screwed in the 7 lmao. There is no good 7s on the market, all our 7s are either crushed in confidence and have had such poor development (BBO, Averillo) or they just fucking stink (Flanagan, Wakeham). We drop Flanagan than his bitchass starts crying in reserve grade. I want BBO to not play a game for the rest of the year along with the other young guys like Averillo and Patolo. Just right this year off completely right fuckn now so that no young guys are blooded at all and let it all be just the off contract frauds that will never see the nrl at any other club.
This is why I want Munster and couldn't care less if we had to sacrifice Burton for him. Munster might not be a halfback but he's an out and out star and has been established in the NRL for a very long time. He's also a massive voice out of the field and leads with both that and his actions week in week out and that's something we're lacking. We're going to have to develop a halfback from within he club and i'd much rather do that with someone like Munster in the halves alongside them than another developing half in Burton. If we can retain Burton and play him with him alongside him then great, if not then we move onto the likes of BBO, Hayward, Rajab, O'Neill and other developing halves at the club and move forward.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is why I want Munster and couldn't care less if we had to sacrifice Burton for him. Munster might not be a halfback but he's an out and out star and has been established in the NRL for a very long time. He's also a massive voice out of the field and leads with both that and his actions week in week out and that's something we're lacking. We're going to have to develop a halfback from within he club and i'd much rather do that with someone like Munster in the halves alongside them than another developing half in Burton. If we can retain Burton and play him with him alongside him then great, if not then we move onto the likes of BBO, Hayward, Rajab, O'Neill and other developing halves at the club and move forward.
We're zero chance of signing Munster. It's either the Dolphins or Melbourne.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We're zero chance of signing Munster. It's either the Dolphins or Melbourne.
It's highly unlikely but it's still a possibility if we push hard for it.