Hutchison Pre Season Press Conference

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lets face it both he and Sexton have so far failed to hold down the 7 jumper. There are more established playmakers at other clubs. Come mid season and fans will be again asking about ONeill, has Rajab learnt to defend at NRL level, how long till KO returns and should Burton be a centre.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In 3 games at halfback at the end of last season, Hutchison scored 2 tries, averaged about 30 tackles, 5 tackle busts, 2 offloads, 100 running metres and 200 kicking metres a game..

He's not a superstar, but he's a good solid all round player that can definitely fill a role in the halves for us when needed. Plus most importantly he brings experience, is a great competitor and professional which we didn't have enough of in the last few seasons.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
prob one of the longest press conference's I've seen from any player.. Nice 11.30 Minute's

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hutch my preference at 7. More experienced and from a successful team/culture. He had some big games for Rooster at the end of last year before Walker jumped back in. Also love how everyone automatically looks so much better in the blue and white.
...my hahahas' were about the last sentence, so true! Totally agree w the first part and thats no laughing matter.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
“Had some big games before Walker jumped back in”. Why would Walker (who was axed for most of the year) get a recall if Hutch was playing that great?
I cant remember if it was announced at that stage that he was coming to the puppies but you know how coaches sometimes get when players sign elsewhere. It was probably a good sign if robbo shanked him because he was leaving. If that was the case I can understand after watching the interview because he seems exactly what we need regardless of where he plays. If only a small percentage of his demeanor rubs off on the group then job done even before he hits the field.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Much has been made about how many "utility" players we have signed both here and in the press, but the simple fact is Gus has replaced reserve graders with NRL standard players regardless of where their bio says they play.

DFLWatto

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The difference this season is, if you don’t perform there’s someone hungry to take your place .. possible hidden meaning to “all spots are up for grabs” .. just saying …
Exactly, this is what we didn't have last year, depth. Which probably was part of the problem.
This year, if you don't perform, someone else is taking your spot, and this is the healthy competition we have been missing.

I'm so fucking excited about footy this year, its like waiting for christmas.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Exactly, this is what we didn't have last year, depth. Which probably was part of the problem.
This year, if you don't perform, someone else is taking your spot, and this is the healthy competition we have been missing.

I'm so fucking excited about footy this year, its like waiting for christmas.
Exactly!! Why cant some people see or focus on how promising the future looks? Speculating about salaries and garbage that ultimately is of no concern to anyone. Ill stick my neck out and say Ciraldo will go down in history as an elite coach. Bring it on nay-sayers!!!

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’d personally rather Hutcho wear the 7 over Sexton.
It's a no-brainer. 28 years old, 71 FG games with the Roosters after a stint in ESL, vs 22 years old, 24 games in 3 years with a bottom feeding Titans team.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What a great interview finally a player with his head screwed on and can form a good sentence. If im coach im slotting that man straight into the 7 and have him calling the shots. Something about him. I know hes got a booming left peg and throws a reasonable pass. Sexton at 6 he can do the cute stuff. Burton can play centre

Really impressed by this hutchsion and im not easily impressed.
You’re not easily impressed?
Whoever would’ve guessed? :-).

I liked the interview too, but just because he’s articulate doesn’t mean he’s getting the 7 nor is Sexton playing 6 and even less likely Burton is playing 3 - and why? Because Hutchison can speak English?
Great footy logic there Flipper :tearsofjoy:.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Much has been made about how many "utility" players we have signed both here and in the press, but the simple fact is Gus has replaced reserve graders with NRL standard players regardless of where their bio says they play.
Can’t please them all, that’s why I don’t give a crap that the haters think.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
yh

Search through the media content of most clubs and there will be no mention of "all spots are up for grabs". Think about it, assuming all players are available, considering the 4 spine positions, how many of those 4 spots would be 95% certain to the average reasonably knowledgable punter and are not particularly debated in the media or on forums?

Penriff:
Edwards, Luai, Cleary, Kenny. All certain
Strom:
Pappy, Munster, Hughes, Grant. Ditto

Ok, too easy? Let's look at some mid range teams.

Manly:
Turbo, Brooks?, DCE, Croker. Only 1 ?, although most would probably put Schuster in the backrow.

Knights:
Ponga, Gamble, Hastings, Brailey. All certain, even with Cogger arriving, he is clearly back up for Hastings.

Cows:
Drinkie, Dearden, Townsend, Robson. All certain

Eels:
Queen Guth, Brown, Moses, Hands. All certain

Now look at the conjecture over our spine:

FB - Could be Critta, Taffee, Tracey, Perham (please no).
58 - Burton is no longer 95% certain, plenty of people want to see him at centre, with 58 going to Hutch, Taffee, Tracey, or even Salmon or KO (when fit).
HB - Will it be Sexton, Hutch, or Tracey (who is listed on the site as a HB).
#9 - The only certainty in our spine, and even Reed is under more pressure for his spot this season with the arrival of Turps.

The only teams that come anywhere near this level of uncertainty are possibly:
Dragons - though mostly because they have a new coach, pretty sure Hunt and Liddle have at least 2 spine spots locked down, and Flange Jnr is probably also a lock.
Raiders - FB and 58 are not certain, but Fogarty is obviously going to HB, and based on last season Woolford starts and Starling comes off the bench for #9.
Titans - mostly because they have a new coach, although Foran is certain at 58, and hard to see anyone other than Boyd and Verrils in 58 and #9, Campbell and Brimson fighting it out for FB.

Even Wests have more certainty around their spine than we do right now, and they are Wests!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You’re not easily impressed?
Whoever would’ve guessed? :-).

I liked the interview too, but just because he’s articulate doesn’t mean he’s getting the 7 nor is Sexton playing 6 and even less likely Burton is playing 3 - and why? Because Hutchison can speak English?
Great footy logic there Flipper :tearsofjoy:.
Really? I thought all players were selected into positions based on how well they articulated in a press conference?? Guess I’ll have to stick to growing PoTAtOWs and let luai sort it out when he arrives…..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
yh

Search through the media content of most clubs and there will be no mention of "all spots are up for grabs". Think about it, assuming all players are available, considering the 4 spine positions, how many of those 4 spots would be 95% certain to the average reasonably knowledgable punter and are not particularly debated in the media or on forums?

Penriff:
Edwards, Luai, Cleary, Kenny. All certain
Strom:
Pappy, Munster, Hughes, Grant. Ditto

Ok, too easy? Let's look at some mid range teams.

Manly:
Turbo, Brooks?, DCE, Croker. Only 1 ?, although most would probably put Schuster in the backrow.

Knights:
Ponga, Gamble, Hastings, Brailey. All certain, even with Cogger arriving, he is clearly back up for Hastings.

Cows:
Drinkie, Dearden, Townsend, Robson. All certain

Eels:
Queen Guth, Brown, Moses, Hands. All certain

Now look at the conjecture over our spine:

FB - Could be Critta, Taffee, Tracey, Perham (please no).
58 - Burton is no longer 95% certain, plenty of people want to see him at centre, with 58 going to Hutch, Taffee, Tracey, or even Salmon or KO (when fit).
HB - Will it be Sexton, Hutch, or Tracey (who is listed on the site as a HB).
#9 - The only certainty in our spine, and even Reed is under more pressure for his spot this season with the arrival of Turps.

The only teams that come anywhere near this level of uncertainty are possibly:
Dragons - though mostly because they have a new coach, pretty sure Hunt and Liddle have at least 2 spine spots locked down, and Flange Jnr is probably also a lock.
Raiders - FB and 58 are not certain, but Fogarty is obviously going to HB, and based on last season Woolford starts and Starling comes off the bench for #9.
Titans - mostly because they have a new coach, although Foran is certain at 58, and hard to see anyone other than Boyd and Verrils in 58 and #9, Campbell and Brimson fighting it out for FB.

Even Wests have more certainty around their spine than we do right now, and they are Wests!
It's almost like there's more than one sport played in the world. Ciraldo will definitely have his mind set on a 13 and most of the bench, if not then I would be worried.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Opens up options, who is to say the best halves option isn't Sexton and Hutchison with Burton back to centre?