Humble Pie

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We still have to win games next year to shut them up. But 2022 is the year we will see if we are the real deal
Does anyone know who is off contract at the end of 2021?
No doubt we have 4+ players freeing up more dollars so really our spending may not stop although it would be wise to hold of a while to see what player movements are happening during next year.
Shit we are going to look like a completely different team in 2022

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2020 was spent listening to the likes of Paul Kent and Fat Gus call bulldogs a basket case. Board room issues that would impact the club for many years to come. Even to the point both thought Baz made the wrong decision signing with us.

I wonder if they’ll eat their humble pie????
The reality is critics of our club were spot on in their predictions.
We were mismanaged by a group of people whose interests were all about their egos...
Their behaviors caused the loss of sponsors, TPAs, players and members
Their achievement was to extend the contract of the struggling coach subsequently leading to overpaying average players and failing to attract players of any great value except for a couple whom they had to pay overs for.
In saying this the critics should have known better especially Gould who very well knows the fabric of our club is very unique and we always rise out of the fire like the Phoenix !!!
This time it simply took a modest sponsor that is run by two very passionate supporters to start an avalanche which led to the necessary weeding out the incompetents...Starting the new Phoenix rising !!!

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
The reality is critics of our club were spot on in their predictions.
We were mismanaged by a group of people whose interests were all about their egos...
Their behaviors caused the loss of sponsors, TPAs, players and members
Their achievement was to extend the contract of the struggling coach subsequently leading to overpaying average players and failing to attract players of any great value except for a couple whom they had to pay overs for.
In saying this the critics should have known better especially Gould who very well knows the fabric of our club is very unique and we always rises out of the fire like the Phoenix !!!
This time it simply took a modest sponsor that is run by two very passionate supporters to start an avalanche which led to the necessary weeding out the incompetents...Starting the new Phoenix rising !!!
Well said mate

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How things turned around rather quickly huh. All it takes is a new coach who has the smarts to get shit done with actions and not just talk an tiptoe around the truth, or lack of lol.

I vote TBAZ and will keep the faith as he had Already proven his worth, deserves the best shot at this.!!
It also takes a full cap. Dont discount the importance of this, even in the signing of Baz. I guarantee Baz wouldn't have signed with us for 2021, or any other top coach if a large portion of the cap was tied up like ours was previously. The position we were in was going to guarantee poor results (along with our marquee player in Foran sitting on the bench injured) Everyone seems to overlook the way Pay was hamstrung by poor signings made by Des etc & decisions made by others. Was he dynamic, no. Did he go into the job knowing he was at a hiding to nothing, yes. Can you blame him for trying to win games (& thus save his job & some credibility for the club) by playing plodding known commodities rather than throwing young boys in there, some do but I think nearly all of us would have been doing the same to save our job & the club we/he loves. I find it hard at times to accept/read all the hate that is directed at Pay when I think he probably only took the job because he loved the place so much & no one else was likely to take the job at the time as the place was such a shitful mess.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
He was really shit... bought from Canberra under Pays reign... absolutely hopeless. Whose yours sweet pea?!
Nawww... sweet pea. That's so lovely of you.

As shit as he may have been, he wasn't on much money, was only a depth signing (not much first grade) and came with zero expectations.
Tony Williams on the other hand.....

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last 2 boards have effectively killed us with their decisions. The real change was when a new sponsor, (with a hands on & genuine interest in the club), cleared out the board and installed people who want to make this club successful. Dibb gave Des too much rope and hung himself with it. Lyne was simply too indecisive & did nothing. Laundy has pretty much turned this club around by sensible action & we are finally going forward as a club

Syrian Bulldog

New Pup
Reaction score
The last 2 boards have effectively killed us with their decisions. The real change was when a new sponsor, (with a hands on & genuine interest in the club), cleared out the board and installed people who want to make this club successful. Dibb gave Des too much rope and hung himself with it. Lyne was simply too indecisive & did nothing. Laundy has pretty much turned this club around by sensible action & we are finally going forward as a club
Des was delusional, I remember in a succession plan video in around 2014 him and Raelene Castle said club will win 5 premierships before 2020

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People keep mentioning the success that Barrett seems to be achieving, and I'm liking it.
But have they really thought why players didn't sign up with Pay?
Have they considered that Pay did not have the money to attract them. Players of any ability will not play for less than their value.
The previous administration left the coffers bare.
Clay Priest was recruited because we had little money, and he came here because he had a dicey future. And we had to fill the top 30 to remain compliant.
He wasn't recruited because he had ability.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People keep mentioning the success that Barrett seems to be achieving, and I'm liking it.
Have they considered that Pay did not have the money to attract them. Players of any ability will not play for less than their value.
Clay Priest was recruited because we had little money, and he came here because he had a dicey future. And we had to fill the top 30 to remain compliant.
I wonder where they found the $600k for Napa then?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Klemmer left a massive hole, we needed an intimidating prop. Napa was the wrong decision but who would you have signed at the time?
I can’t remember who was and wasn’t off contract and available but it’s proven to be a diabolical decision when cap space was at such a premium. The Chooks must have been licking their lips when they saw our interest in him.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can’t remember who was and wasn’t off contract and available but it’s proven to be a diabolical decision when cap space was at such a premium. The Chooks must have been licking their lips when they saw our interest in him.
No doubt they were but I wonder how they would react if they were at the bottom of the ladder and in our situation if JWH or Taukeiaho walked out on them in the pre-season

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No doubt they were but I wonder how they would react if they were at the bottom of the ladder and in our situation if JWH or Taukeiaho walked out on them in the pre-season
Who knows that’s their problem I’m only worried about our situation and given Pay and the clubs roster and cap management when he was here it’s very optimistic to say this would have happened. There was a lot more misses then hits and it didn’t give me any confidence he would do better with more cap to play with.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It also takes a full cap. Dont discount the importance of this, even in the signing of Baz. I guarantee Baz wouldn't have signed with us for 2021, or any other top coach if a large portion of the cap was tied up like ours was previously. The position we were in was going to guarantee poor results (along with our marquee player in Foran sitting on the bench injured) Everyone seems to overlook the way Pay was hamstrung by poor signings made by Des etc & decisions made by others. Was he dynamic, no. Did he go into the job knowing he was at a hiding to nothing, yes. Can you blame him for trying to win games (& thus save his job & some credibility for the club) by playing plodding known commodities rather than throwing young boys in there, some do but I think nearly all of us would have been doing the same to save our job & the club we/he loves. I find it hard at times to accept/read all the hate that is directed at Pay when I think he probably only took the job because he loved the place so much & no one else was likely to take the job at the time as the place was such a shitful mess.
Unless he/they wanted a challenge to rebuild a beautiful club from the tatters they’ve suffered over the last few years, but your points are valid and it is what it is, on the up an up.!!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For everyone with an opinion this way or that about Gus Gould, just something to consider. He does value integrity. This was seen for example when he tried to recruit Thurston to Panthers. But something that doesn't get acknowledged is that while he was head of Penriff he didn't commentate their games for ch 9. That was his decision. When Eddie McGuire was head of Collingwood he continued to commentate their games, which was considered highly unethical by many, and in fact Tim Lane quit the broadcast team in protest. Gould is also on record being against the stuff player agents get up to.

Yeah some of his commentary drivel drives me up the wall, but he is still one of the better blokes out there. He had some strong words to say about whether TBaz should join us, but in hindsight I like a lot of people in this thread are feeling better about the new board situation. Did Gus' admonitions play any role in things moving along? Dunno. But he hasn't said anything about it since.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Who knows that’s their problem I’m only worried about our situation and given Pay and the clubs roster and cap management when he was here it’s very optimistic to say this would have happened. There was a lot more misses then hits and it didn’t give me any confidence he would do better with more cap to play with.
You asked where we came up with 600k, I said Klemmer left. It was you and Speedy discussing the rest

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Priest was put in the 30 along time before it had to be filled.
400 kids out there with great ability should of been brought in instead. But dean wanted priest. Pay seen ability in him. U guys need to stop making soft excuses for pay and anderson. Yes u natalie and dinkdog im looking at u. They were just both not good at there jobs, just accept it lol.
Stop talking rubbish again speedy

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fonua-Blake was who I wanted at the time. I think he was coming off contract or at max 1 year remaining. He re-signed around the time we signed Napa pretty sure. The first time I saw him was in 2018 and he looked like a gun (underrated at the time, not much talk about him). I know he has his problems off the field but it would of been x10 better than Napa. I never liked the Napa signing from day 1.