Humble Pie

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think most would agree Lynne stepping down was a good thing so that threatened EGM did actually work. Coorey going too, maybe even Dunn. The club seems a lot more stable now and we don't hear anything about infighting. I think Pay was a well below average coach but we have to feel sorry for him. He wasn't really supported by management. The majority of players he wanted we failed to get for him while he was in his role. He must be spewing now when he sees Barrett getting players like JAC. I wouldn't be surprised if he never turns up to a Dogs function ever again.
Barrett is main reason the players are coming though so it wouldn’t have happened if Pay was still here. He just wasn’t a magnet for players and if anything he was as deterrent. Pay was in way over his head being a NRL coach. He got more chances then he really deserved and I wish him well but I certainly don’t feel sorry for him.

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most would agree Lynne stepping down was a good thing so that threatened EGM did actually work. Coorey going too, maybe even Dunn. The club seems a lot more stable now and we don't hear anything about infighting. I think Pay was a well below average coach but we have to feel sorry for him. He wasn't really supported by management. The majority of players he wanted we failed to get for him while he was in his role. He must be spewing now when he sees Barrett getting players like JAC. I wouldn't be surprised if he never turns up to a Dogs function ever again.
I’m of the same view Brad. 100% agree. Even Hill seems to have found his voice and is now being seen and heard. Can’t help feeling he was being held back under Lynn & co.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Were they wrong though?

We were a basket case in 2020. And have been for the 3-4 years prior. Sure you could question that those individuals in particular were worried about our future, but by gee... this really does feel like 2009 all over again (to some degree).

Huge changeover of personnel after a terrible season, some strong leadership being shown and a new coach.

Reaction score
I don't think we payed overs for JAC to get him here. Yes a little over for cotric, but he can be anything. The young halves definitely not overs but what's reportered. So we done well.
even if we did pay a little over for cotric he probably deserves it imo for being the first one to come across.
we needed one good player to join and others would then be more confident to make the choice

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder if they’ll eat their humble pie????
That will only happen if pies can be made faster than Noel Cleal can eat them :-).

I’d be surprised if they did a 180 and say anything other than how things ‘aren’t as bad as they used to be’ or they’ll twist the narrative about junior development and that you ‘can’t buy premierships’ etc.

There’s no shock value in complimentary headlines.

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could replacing just 4 people in the club have made such a big difference?
Pay with Barrett
Lynn Dunn Coorey with 3 new directors.

Maybe it’s just coincidence and all that we are seeing now would have happened under pay Lynn & co but I’m seeing

Stability at board level
Better recruiting and marquee signings
A while new group of coaching staff
All blacks legend and mentor on our side
Hill doing his job
Less negative media publicity
A new sponsor who is on the beat helping with our recruiting.

And yeah Gus and Kent comments were below the belt and out of line and pissed me off too but if they somehow galvanised the club and helped bring about some needed changes then I’ll take that.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay with Barrett

Maybe it’s just coincidence and all that we are seeing now would have happened under pay Lynn & co but I’m seeing

Stability at board level
Hill doing his job

And yeah Gus and Kent comments were below the belt and out of line and pissed me off too but if they somehow galvanised the club and helped bring about some needed changes then I’ll take that.
I think the major factors are Tbaz replacing Pay and John Khoury coming in as chairman and uniting the club.

Unfortunately we would have never had stability at board level if Anderson and Coorey remained in their roles it was too personal and toxic.

It's amazing what can be achieved when you work together!

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s be honest this time last year things weren’t looking that great.

Without the changes to the board and coach there’s no way we see this type of recruitment.

Yes Kent and Gould are big mouths who love drama but they were echoing what some supporters were worried about too.
That we will never know but don't forget we now have a full salary cap and money talks

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the major factors are Tbaz replacing Pay and John Khoury coming in as chairman and uniting the club.

Unfortunately we would have never had stability at board level if Anderson and Coorey remained in their roles it was too personal and toxic.

It's amazing what can be achieved when you work together!
I'm thinking juicy tpd are helping

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett is main reason the players are coming though so it wouldn’t have happened if Pay was still here. He just wasn’t a magnet for players and if anything he was as deterrent. Pay was in way over his head being a NRL coach. He got more chances then he really deserved and I wish him well but I certainly don’t feel sorry for him.
I agree, TBaz must get alot of the credit for these signings.
But I think we should not underestimate the pulling power that one man has given our club & who I believe must also take alot of credit - it's just harder to see because he works behind the scenes.

THANK YOU "UNCLE ARTHUR".

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay with Barrett

Stability at board level
Hill doing his job

All may be true, maybe not, but they are absolutely all completely irrelevant without decent Salary Cap space. Which is the ONLY 100% absolutely undeniable difference between 2019/20 and 2021/22.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, TBaz must get alot of the credit for these signings.
But I think we should not underestimate the pulling power that one man has given our club & who I believe must also take alot of credit - it's just harder to see because he works behind the scenes.

THANK YOU "UNCLE ARTHUR".
Yeah I'm not convinced Laundy is doing that much just yet.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe it's just his presence that's having an effect. A headline featuring your major sponsor that says things like "made a $39m acquisition" doesn't exactly hurt your reputation. Especially if players relatives need "employment".

Go Dogs

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing has changed, Bulldogs have always copped criticism everyone loves to bag us regardless how well we play!

Malla

Reaction score
That will only happen if pies can be made faster than Noel Cleal can eat them :-).

I’d be surprised if they did a 180 and say anything other than how things ‘aren’t as bad as they used to be’ or they’ll twist the narrative about junior development and that you ‘can’t buy premierships’ etc.

There’s no shock value in complimentary headlines.
I can already see it mate
Gus: ‘dogs of war, they love adversity, I know what this club is about’ bla bla bla

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters mate asking me how we're still under the cap now. We must be on the right track.
Yeah was wondering how long it'll take before we start seeing this...but from a Roosters Fan HA.

We are simply exchanging overpaid underperformers such as Holland and Napa for JAC and ... don't want to say it and jinx it... many teams have 1.5 - 2 Mill tied up in their halves... we have less than 1 Mill. Not only are we replacing duds with studs but in areas that will make the most difference. Sure some of these players are young and will likely need an upgrade for next contract, but hopefully by then our juniors will be starting to come through.

We do need a Hooker though and the only decent available one appears to have a preference for South East Queensland. Its not a failure of TBaz if this is not resolved before next season but that will change quickly.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not discount Laundys involvement had on securing and keeping TBaz, and I think the players and assistant coaches have signed on for TBaz's vision not Khoury's

I think Khoury has just let TBaz run things how he has wanted, maybe that is the real benefit of a stable board.

I don't think things would have the current uptick if Pay had stayed on, but i think the effect of Lynne and the others leaving has been around stability not because they didn't know what they were doing. I think the plan from Lynne had always been to have someone like Pay come in and watch over the team while they sort out the mess of the Salary Cap. If Pay proves to be a diamond in the rough so be it... but otherwise replace him with someone that could attract players.

If people (not targeting anyone specific) think that we should have just had Khoury and never had Lynne and this turnaround could have happened years sooner you really don't have a clue. The turnaround was always going to take this long, and the biggest step in the turnaround happened while Lynne was still in charge. If we are heading into a new period of success we should appreciate all of those that have contributed and sacrifices they have made.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2020 was spent listening to the likes of Paul Kent and Fat Gus call bulldogs a basket case. Board room issues that would impact the club for many years to come. Even to the point both thought Baz made the wrong decision signing with us.

I wonder if they’ll eat their humble pie????
i will live with Gould getting on us as although he can be biased and a little too in love with his own opinion, he is a genuine RL enthusiast

Kent though is just another superficial News Ltd muck-raking hack