How will the comp work in 2023 with 17 teams?

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will it only be 17 teams, or is there a possibility of an 18th team?

What does that mean for byes?

Will they still have byes for origin and blow out the season?

Who gets 2 byes and who gets one bye?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Everyone would get 2 byes. There would be one each week with a few extras chucked in around Origin time, which would unfortunately favour some team's over others.

Having 17 teams isn't ideal from a revenue perspective - broadcasters will only pay for 8 games a week but the league has to carry an extra team's costs.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone would get 2 byes. There would be one each week with a few extras chucked in around Origin time, which would unfortunately favour some team's over others.

Having 17 teams isn't ideal from a revenue perspective - broadcasters will only pay for 8 games a week but the league has to carry an extra team's costs.
I assume the broadcasting networks would get a few extra games around origin time, but as you say those games will be depleted of some the games best players.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There would have to be a bye every week.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The need to fix the game first before they worry about adding extra teams. The game at the moment is a farce.
Scorelines are going to look even more ridiculous, there's not enough talent to go around!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The need to fix the game first before they worry about adding extra teams.
I agree in the sense that there’s inadequate playing talent to support another team. At least 6 teams currently are very average, sadly including our own.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I assume the broadcasting networks would get a few extra games around origin time, but as you say those games will be depleted of some the games best players.
One of the biggest drivers is having a game at Suncorp every week featuring the Ponies or Brisbane #2, to extract more revenue from the Brisbane market - most likely Thursday or Friday night and broadcast. What I can’t work out is this was tried previously with the SEQ Crushers and failed. Yes, Super League happened at a similar time but the Crushers were full of blokes towards the end of their careers going for a super top-up. I’m not sure what’s changed to ensure the same result wouldn’t happen again, especially in a different world of demographics, fingertip entertainment and lots of competition for share of time and wallet. But that’s not specifically your question :-).

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score

2 byes would be Roosters, Souths, Storm, Penrith and Parra. The nrlol don't give a shit about the rest.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
One of the biggest drivers is having a game at Suncorp every week featuring the Ponies or Brisbane #2, to extract more revenue from the Brisbane market - most likely Thursday or Friday night and broadcast. What I can’t work out is this was tried previously with the SEQ Crushers and failed. Yes, Super League happened at a similar time but the Crushers were full of blokes towards the end of their careers going for a super top-up. I’m not sure what’s changed to ensure the same result wouldn’t happen again, especially in a different world of demographics, fingertip entertainment and lots of competition for share of time and wallet. But that’s not specifically your question :-).
Plus there will be a game on prime time Friday night AND Saturday night every week (byes excluded of course) featuring a Brisbane team, that’s a big draw for the broadcaster. Who will have to pay more to the NRL for that privilege.

Always a Bulldog

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Do we even know that 17 teams is happening? I haven’t seen anywhere this is confirmed.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Its gunna be about 6% more fucked up.

They should call the new team the Brisbane Covids. Coz they will be playing to empty stadiums. They arent going to get Broncos fans to switch, not sure where the fan base is coming from.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

They should call the new team the Brisbane Covids. Coz they will be playing to empty stadiums. They arent going to get Broncos fans to switch, not sure where the fan base is coming from.
A lot of people in Brisbane aren't Broncos fans, or say they are but aren't really into it, so there is a market there to tap. It comes down to whether you take an existing team and try to grow it (eg: Redcliffe, which will likely change its name to Brisbane Dolphins or something like that) or start fresh like they did with the Broncs.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If it's the Redcliffe Dolphins (my guess) then they will bring plenty of their own fans. The Redcliffe Leagues Club has 30,000 members for starters and their local junior competition has over 5,000 kids playing. They don't need no stinkin' Donkeys fans.

Always a Bulldog

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If it's the Redcliffe Dolphins (my guess) then they will bring plenty of their own fans. The Redcliffe Leagues Club has 30,000 members for starters and their local junior competition has over 5,000 kids playing. They don't need no stinkin' Donkeys fans.

Always a Bulldog
The Dolphins will probably play some games at Suncorp and some at "home" (it is probably the best suburban ground in Brisbane). They will need more fans than just Redcliffe though. Redcliffe is even more isolated than the Sutherland Shire.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apart from the extra byes, the NRL will make sure there is at least one game in Brisbane each week and that would be the driving factor in getting a 17th team in.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
The Dolphins will probably play some games at Suncorp and some at "home" (it is probably the best suburban ground in Brisbane). They will need more fans than just Redcliffe though. Redcliffe is even more isolated than the Sutherland Shire.
Redcliffe might be isolated but I can see them drawing fans from North Brisbane all the way up to the Sunshine Coast. There is lots of Bronco hate up here.