Opinion How to get back to the top...

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Here this out - then flame away.

Sports is not really different to business. You have a set income and you need to make it work. So to be profitable, we need to either sell more than our competitors or lower our cost of manufacturing - similar to any other business.

So lets start with lowering our cost of manufacturing.

Pretty tough really. We all have the same income, so we need to buy better quality products for cheaper than our competitors. How do we do that? No player of worth will come here for unders, if anything they will only come here for overs. So thats not happening. the other alternative is we make our own products. Thats fine, but the light at the end of that tunnel is 5 - 10 years away (pending how lucky we get). Keep in mind that while we are trying to make our products, our competitors are doing the same and will pinch our suppliers unless we truly commit to it. So that is a long term project with no guarantees u hit the jackpot like Penrith has.

So whats the other option, to sell more than our competitors. Yep - guess your thinking the KLL has been on the cones again. Well, he has, but with great coning comes great wisdom (Snoop Dog, 2014).

We repackage our product to sell more.

So you're probably thinking at this point that the KLL has been on the snow white as well. TBH, not this week. But repackaging our product has some merit. We change the way football is played. Do something completely different to the rest of the NRL (well ok, we are atm but winning spoons isn't really the goal here).

Enter the Walker Brothers.

They revolutionised footy in Brisbane. Their argument (statistically shown in the NRL) that the worst thing on the gas tank is tackling. And that the team that tackles the least and has the ball the most generally wins games. So they let the other team get through their six as quickly as possible and they hold onto the ball as long as possible. No wrestling, keeping numbers out of tackles and when they have the ball, move it around, no quick sets. Kick plays are designed to offer a chance to get the ball back, now matter where they are on the field. They had a habit of running down teams in the last 20, mainly through the gas tank.

So, my 2c for getting back to where we want to be. Give the Walkers a chance. See whether this works in the NRL. In the meantime, let Gus do his magic in juniors. hedge your bets. If it works, we are competitive again in the short term while the longer term plan is being developed. If it doesn't, we're no shitter than what we are now and the longer term plan is still bubbling along.

Sorry boys - but reckon we could sign Jack Gibson to coach and it wouldn't change shit. No decent players are coming here and committing without us destroying the salary cap. So we're still shit and they leave after taking the honey. Cannot even pay overs on someone to teach the kids as, we have no decent kids.

So break it and rebuild it.

ok - off for another cone. The KLL can only show you the bong. Its up to you to smoke it (Snoop Dogg, 2016).

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Enter Flanno, must get the appointment!!

Lewis

Waterboy
Reaction score
you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
James Maloney jumped from club to club to club and later on his career he was quite successful

He was the one choosing which club to go to, rather than having limited options

I remember in an interview he did say that he would take a look at each clubs forward pack before deciding whether to go there or not.

Buying a half is not out of the equation.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Enter Flanno, must get the appointment!!
And I'm on drugs....
James Maloney jumped from club to club to club and later on his career he was quite successful

He was the one choosing which club to go to, rather than having limited options

I remember in an interview he did say that he would take a look at each clubs forward pack before deciding whether to go there or not.

Buying a half is not out of the equation.
Bro - know you mean well but not sure a decent HB would come here without our salary cap being tripled. Reynolds is $800k/yr for half a years games (he won't be fit for the rest of it). Who ya paying $1M+ long term to come here and what incentive would they have. Whomever won't be as good as Reynolds.

Same old arguments fellas - break the mould.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And I'm on drugs....

Bro - know you mean well but not sure a decent HB would come here without our salary cap being tripled. Reynolds is $800k/yr for half a years games (he won't be fit for the rest of it). Who ya paying $1M+ long term to come here and what incentive would they have. Whomever won't be as good as Reynolds.

Maybe you are lol. But Difference of opinions. Is All it boils down to.. we each have our own ideas. Wouldn’t be a kernel forum otherwise..!!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And I'm on drugs....

The options are the following

1. Current halves in the team

2. Wait for juniors

3. Buy established halves from another club

But I think everyone is forgetting the 4th option. Reserve halves at other clubs, that may only be down the pecking order due to an established half at that club.

So buying a half is not out of the equation. I just don't think we should limit ourselves on what we can and can't do. Everything is on the table and as far as I'd be concerned, reputations count for shit, everyone is on the chopping block. Perform or get replaced.

Additionally, a comp with a salary cap, you can't have superstar's in every position, there's going to be your cog and wheel type players who just perform a function. So even if we get 3 out of 4 spine players spot on, we may be able to carry an averillo type half until he matures (using jake as an example not necessarily saying let's go with him) into a serviceable enough cog and wheel type player

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
The options are the following

1. Current halves in the team

2. Wait for juniors

3. Buy established halves from another club

But I think everyone is forgetting the 4th option. Reserve halves at other clubs, that may only be down the pecking order due to an established half at that club.

So buying a half is not out of the equation. I just don't think we should limit ourselves on what we can and can't do. Everything is on the table and as far as I'd be concerned, reputations count for shit, everyone is on the chopping block. Perform or get replaced.

Additionally, a comp with a salary cap, you can't have superstar's in every position, there's going to be your cog and wheel type players who just perform a function. So even if we get 3 out of 4 spine players spot on, we may be able to carry an averillo type half until he matures (using jake as an example not necessarily saying let's go with him) into a serviceable enough cog and wheel type player
Bro...
1) lol
2) see you in 10 years
3) see above post
4) anyone that has any sort of projected upside has been scouted to death. We're not the only ones on the lookout.

3 out of 4? Well, we're still short either a FB or HB next year. No one obvious. Costs big bikkies. Groundhog day.

The obvious answer might make you feel comfortable, but big rewards need big risks. My suggested big risk has huge upside and no downside (we're fckd anwyays). I'm over thinking we can sign our way of this mess. We need a new way.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sports is not really different to business. You have a set income and you need to make it work. So to be profitable, we need to either sell more than our competitors or lower our cost of manufacturing - similar to any other business.

Pretty tough really. We all have the same income, so we need to buy better quality products for cheaper than our competitors. How do we do that? No player of worth will come here for unders, if anything they will only come here for overs. So thats not happening. the other alternative is we make our own products. Thats fine, but the light at the end of that tunnel is 5 - 10 years away (pending how lucky we get). Keep in mind that while we are trying to make our products, our competitors are doing the same and will pinch our suppliers unless we truly commit to it. So that is a long term project with no guarantees u hit the jackpot like Penrith has.

So whats the other option, to sell more than our competitors. Yep - guess your thinking the KLL has been on the cones again. Well, he has, but with great coning comes great wisdom (Snoop Dog, 2014).

So you're probably thinking at this point that the KLL has been on the snow white as well. TBH, not this week. But repackaging our product has some merit. We change the way football is played. Do something completely different to the rest of the NRL (well ok, we are atm but winning spoons isn't really the goal here).

They revolutionised footy in Brisbane. Their argument (statistically shown in the NRL) that the worst thing on the gas tank is tackling. And that the team that tackles the least and has the ball the most generally wins games. So they let the other team get through their six as quickly as possible and they hold onto the ball as long as possible. No wrestling, keeping numbers out of tackles and when they have the ball, move it around, no quick sets. Kick plays are designed to offer a chance to get the ball back, now matter where they are on the field. They had a habit of running down teams in the last 20, mainly through the gas tank.

So, my 2c for getting back to where we want to be. Give the Walkers a chance. See whether this works in the NRL. In the meantime, let Gus do his magic in juniors. hedge your bets. If it works, we are competitive again in the short term while the longer term plan is being developed. If it doesn't, we're no shitter than what we are now and the longer term plan is still bubbling along.

Sorry boys - but reckon we could sign Jack Gibson to coach and it wouldn't change shit. No decent players are coming here and committing without us destroying the salary cap. So we're still shit and they leave after taking the honey. Cannot even pay overs on someone to teach the kids as, we have no decent kids.

ok - off for another cone. The KLL can only show you the bong. Its up to you to smoke it (Snoop Dogg, 2016).
There is a lot of merit about the Walker brothers coaching. I posted about them some time ago on TK because there is a logic and science about their method. The clunky, predictable decoy running block play crap used by our club doesn't work.

Last edited:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
There is a lot of merit about the Walker brothers coaching. I posted about them some time ago on TK because their is a logic and science about their method. The clunky, predictable decoy running block play crap used by our club doesn't work.
Yeah, dickhead footballers but have made a motza with a real estate business and property investment around Ipswich. Not complete idiots.

Didn't see a lot of Ipswich but the style would have to be modified to the NRL. Running all over the shop is great but NRL defences are more disciplined. Think it has to be combined with some more risk/reward footy.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sign a good coach a good halfback and fullback.. watch the results improve out of sight..

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sign a good coach a good halfback and fullback.. watch the results improve out of sight..
If there was stand out options I’m sure we’d sound them out

But who are those people right now ?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For our club tlo get back to some sort of respectability, (not necessarily back on top), you have to get rid of, or out of the NRL, it is far to corrupt,
Why is it corrupt, simply because it is controled by a few clubs which are run by shady people.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I like the thought process. But there is one massive flaw in your suggestion…
For this play style to be beneficial the team executing it needs to be super disciplined, and needs to hold onto the pill. Something our players simply aren’t capable of.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm sure it was 2002 when Vagana scored 5 against the rabbits