News How the Bulldogs signed Super League star Luke Thompson

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How do you know what category he is in??
You stated the other day that you had never watched him..
All of a sudden you are an expert on what he is and isn’t ..
You come across as mildly intelligent,but you really do run your own story
I've barely seen him play and there is a reason for that. He also has a one minute highlight reel. From how people describe him he's meant to be more than a metre eater which would promote more highlights? I just don't rate the Super League as highly. I think he'll be good player I'm just not sure about the price tag. I've had this opinion before we signed him (and at least one month beforehand).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ok mate you must love it cause you are on a bit of a hiding here :tearsofjoy: There is some truth in what you are saying to a degree but I just don’t really think the club is paying overs... if they were they would have upped the offer for Api just to get a good spine player in. I think the club would pay on the higher side of fair market value to build the team we want but not blatant overs like we did with Foran.
Foran was overs due to his injury history/record and having a back ended contract (as did a lot of our players). We took a risk that he'd be somewhat injury free. We all know if Foran wasn't injured he'd be a 1m half.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Haven’t you heard? $700k!
Which is at least $100k ‘overs’ according to Brady’s expert analysis :-).
At least 200k actually. I think he's worth something between 400-500k. Funny how Raiders get Bateman for unders and we're paying top dollar. I see some warning signs, but hey!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He does have four England caps. You have a different opinion for marquee and I'm not saying he isn't that (your definition, well maybe best in the world is a stretch). I'd personally rather upgrade him as it's less of a risk if he isn't what we think he is (a player isn't going to take a pay cut for not performing). I'm half baiting too don't worry. I know how my thoughts sometimes shake the Kennel (so me posting is baiting). I believe in what I'm saying so it's okay!
Actually the ESL salary cap has provision for what are actually called "Marquee" players. Famously SBW is one, they can get paid a huge amount, but only $150k counts in the cap. Given St Helens were going to make Thompson the highest paid player in their history, he was obviously going to be one of their two Marquee players, if he wasn't one already!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Actually the ESL salary cap has provision for what are actually called "Marquee" players. Famously SBW is one, they can get paid a huge amount, but only $150k counts in the cap. Given St Helens were going to make Thompson the highest paid player in their history, he was obviously going to be one of their two Marquee players, if he wasn't one already!
What are their requirements for marquee? How does it compare to the NRL. Can anyone be a marquee and it's up to the club to determine who it is? Can a Super League club make Michael
Lichaa a marquee ( :tonguewink: )?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
At least 200k actually. I think he's worth something between 400-500k. Funny how Raiders get Bateman for unders and we're paying top dollar.
Because as requested you’ve supplied the evidence re: Raiders/Bateman and the $700k we’re allegedly paying for Thommo. Not.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Because as requested you’ve supplied the evidence re: Raiders/Bateman and the $700k we’re allegedly paying for Thommo. Not.
Keep running with that then. I can't argue with you if that's always going to be your response. You literally want me to break into the Bulldogs and Raiders HQ to steal their contracts as you'll take nothing else. We're going to have to wait until 2021 and see what we look like and what comes out (even tho you'll disregard it). Clubs are looking one to two years ahead (at least) but fans can only be in the present.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rate him but he isn't in the category that most people are putting him in. I see the same when people are placing their expectations for how we're going to go next season so I sort of get why. I'm looking forward to see him run out in our colours too! I saw a picture someone edited with him in our jersey and it was mint.
We don’t need to place him in a category at all,
Our professional management has rated him and that’s what counts in my opinion
I’m looking forward to a better season at this point in time and becoming a dominant team in the near future as we should be.
Blue & White forever

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Again with this ‘Marquee Signing’ crap..
How is he NOT a ‘Marquee Signing’?
Because he isn’t from Australia?
Because you never watched one of his games?
He is regarded as one of the best props in the world!!!
He won the equivalent of the Clive Churchill Medal!!!
He currently plays for the ESL champions!!!
Am I missing something...or are you ??
Agree. Alot of people look down on the super league and it shits me... Yes it's an inferior competition but most seem to recognise the potential within, some players have immense skill in that comp and I wish more would come over
There is a reason us, Titans and Warriors were the only clubs left regarding his signature. Whatever reason you want to come up for that is fine to me. @Pity Fool
Because Storm need backs....
Roosters pack is so good they don't need him
Rabbits were always on Latrell and Arrow.
Canberra woulndt have the cap space with the resignings taking place.
Parra have used their space with Matterson, and Manly have Taupau and AFB.
Could keep going but yeah you get the picture we were in the right position from being patient

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My main point on that was we were able to retain all those players without Thompson. Meaney will get what he's worth or slightly more. Otherwise he'll be going elsewhere. The club has its own opinion on what players are worth using their own squad, experience and what they've heard from other teams.
I know what your point is, I'm trying to see if you can see mine. The problem is you think of player values as though you are playing Football Manager 2019. Also, you keep talking about retainment as a yes/no thing. Retainment is not simply the club saying "will you sign for us again, yes or no?". More important to the club is HOW MUCH they re-sign a player for, because that helps determine how much room they have in the cap for new signings.

Will having Luke Thompson in the team from 2021 mean some players will re-sign for a bit less than they otherwise would have? Absolutely. You can just about bet that for every single meeting the Chooks had to re-sign players for 2018-19 they went in waving around photos of Cooper Cronk. Retention of players is easier and cheaper when you can point to some exciting and leading players already on the books.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree. Alot of people look down on the super league and it shits me... Yes it's an inferior competition but most seem to recognise the potential within, some players have immense skill in that comp and I wish more would come over

Because Storm need backs
Because Roosters pack is so good they don't need him
Because Rabbits were always on Latrell and Arrow
Because Canberra woulndt have the cap space with the resignings taking place
Because Parra have used their space with Matterson
Because Manly have Taupau and AFB.
Could keep going but yeah you get the picture
If he's that good for the right price almost all of those 11 to 12 clubs would have found a place for him. Clubs like the ones I mentioned bump his price up.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If he's that good for the right price almost all of those 11 to 12 clubs would have found a place for him.
Not when they have other areas they need to cover first ... Everyone bangs on about us needing a star half centre and hooker, but I believe we needed an elite front rower as our middle third is arguably the weakest in the comp ... So the board made the right decision imo

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I know what your point is, I'm trying to see if you can see mine. The problem is you think of player values as though you are playing Football Manager 2019. Also, you keep talking about retainment as a yes/no thing. Retainment is not simply the club saying "will you sign for us again, yes or no?". More important to the club is HOW MUCH they re-sign a player for, because that helps determine how much room they have in the cap for new signings.

Will having Luke Thompson in the team from 2021 mean some players will re-sign for a bit less than they otherwise would have? Absolutely. You can just about bet that for every single meeting the Chooks had to re-sign players for 2018-19 they went in waving around photos of Cooper Cronk. Retention of players is easier and cheaper when you can point to some exciting and leading players already on the books.
Yes Thompson adds to what we have and is another name we can use. Just we were able to re-sign everyone (almost) that we currently have without him already. The more successful we're the more players we can attract and also for cheaper.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not when they have other areas they need to cover first ... Everyone bangs on about us needing a star half centre and hooker, but I believe we needed an elite front rower as our middle third is arguably the weakest in the comp ... So the board made the right decision imo
We need to strengthen in a lot of areas. I think prop was one of them (I've said many times Napa isn't a starter and Tolman is ageing).

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What are their requirements for marquee? How does it compare to the NRL. Can anyone be a marquee and it's up to the club to determine who it is? Can a Super League club make Michael Lichaa a marquee ( :tonguewink: )?
Now you're just being silly, I'm trying to discuss this with you seriously. Plainly so far as St Helens was concerned, Thompson is good enough to be one of their two Marquee players. Therefore, technically, anyone referring to him as a Marquee player is correct. Go ahead and look up ESL salary cap rules, its all there.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Foran was overs due to his injury history/record and having a back ended contract (as did a lot of our players). We took a risk that he'd be somewhat injury free. We all know if Foran wasn't injured he'd be a 1m half.
Market Value is what the market will pay for a good or service. I don’t believe Foran had other $1m a year offers back in Sydney (always was coming back to look after his kids) I think Des made his son an offer he couldn’t refuse. Other clubs would have been gun shy due to
His injury history at Parra and warriors prior to signing with us. Anyway the main point was I don’t think Thommo is on overs if $700k is correct.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Now you're just being silly, I'm trying to discuss this with you seriously. Plainly so far as St Helens was concerned, Thompson is good enough to be one of their two Marquee players. Therefore, technically, anyone referring to him as a Marquee player is correct. Go ahead and look up ESL salary cap rules, its all there.
Last part was a friendly joke. Sort of. If Lichaa can be named as a marquee player it doesn't mean much to me. "A marquee player is an athlete who is considered exceptionally popular, skilled, or otherwise outstanding, especially in professional sports." Then it depends who we're comparing him to.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haven’t you heard? $700k!
Which is at least $100k ‘overs’ according to Brady’s expert analysis :-).
People on here always claim to know the price or deliberately bump up a price made up in their heads, so when said player plays a bit average they can go "definitely not worth ...... money"

Classic Kennel.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Keep running with that then. I can't argue with you if that's always going to be your response. You literally want me to break into the Bulldogs and Raiders HQ to steal their contracts as you'll take nothing else. We're going to have to wait until 2021 and see what we look like and what comes out (even tho you'll disregard it). Clubs are looking one to two years ahead (at least) but fans can only be in the present.
Mate the only one who’s running with anything is you and your stubborn view that a) you know the value of contracts and b) you use said ‘knowledge’ to drive some incorrect assumption of what the Dogs have to pay to sign someone.

Breaking into clubs? How ridiculous.
You’re shredding your own credibility with such foolish remarks.