News How the Bulldogs signed Super League star Luke Thompson

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He played 40 minutes in 2018 and was 18 years old. I'm pretty sure he picked up a concussion in two of those games (he "played" three). I think reserve grade is more competitive and a bigger indicator than Super League. Maybe that hurts some people to hear.
That’s ridiculous the wooden spoon Super League club would run rings around the CCup premier.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do people always gotta find the negatives in everything.
Best super league prop is coming to us. We are starting our rebuild stage strongly. Wheres all this negativity coming from?
Yous whinge about our “non existent recruitment” but whinge again when we sign someone decent? Haha fuck sake
It’s almost beyond a joke at times
People just tend to ignore how we got into this incredible mess to start with then expect miracles over night
Just give the team and management a fair shot

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think the real competition for his signature came from other NRL clubs it was getting him away from St Helens. It sounds like they pulled out all the stops and Hill and Moore managed to get their man. They had buttered Thompson up long enough that if he was coming to the NRL it was with us and they deserve a lot of credit for getting it done.
Couldn’t agree more mate! I love the way our negotiations are kept low key until the signature is on the dotted line, I know blowing your own trumpet before actually signing a player keeps whinging pessimistic fickle fans happy but can also destabillise the process of negotiations also, so I’m glad Lynne, Andrew and Pay have stuck to their word, stayed professional and kept negotiations secret much to the grumblings of some fans here.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Still got knocked out haha.
Could end up getting second year syndrome... yous never know
I think Haas is top quality player, and most likely still has a fair way to go to get to his ceiling.

But the risk with Haas is considerable. His build and size mean he is going to be very fortunate not to wind up with some serious injuries. In fact he is almost a dead certainty to get a major injury in the next 3 seasons. Does he have the mentality to pick himself up and get back to his best? Plenty of other promising players haven't. He has off field issues too. Anyone notice the comment the NRL had around Josh Reynolds? They said he had been fully open and up front with the integrity unit from day dot, and that other players would do well to follow that example. Why was he up front? Because he was innocent, he had nothing to hide. Haas was the opposite in the case involving his family, which means he is either complicit or an idiot. Either way it means that he is a greater risk, commit to him as a club at your own peril.

He might still turn out to be a great player with a 10+ year career at the top. I'm not saying he won't. But he is a risky proposition.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more mate! I love the way our negotiations are kept low key until the signature is on the dotted line, I know blowing your own trumpet before actually signing a player keeps whinging pessimistic fickle fans happy but can also destabillise the process of negotiations also, so I’m glad Lynne, Andrew and Pay have stuck to their word, stayed professional and kept negotiations secret much to the grumblings of some fans here.
The Andrew Farrar recruitment became legendary. Maybe Thompson's recruitment will become legendary in its own right. Time will tell.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's the article/info I needed to read. All of my questions have been due to no evidence up until now of their ability to court and sign a marquee player. They locked in on the player they wanted, did the hard yards, didn't just let it fester, thought outside the box and got the signature. They did well, no doubt.

Of course this guy is a marquee player, fuk some of you would complain if Charilze Theron gave you a blowie. He will need to get use to the NRL but he is very solid and I'm stoked. Loving St Helens, we should enter into some form of brother/sister club arrangement with them. Surely other players lurking around will read that with interest too. I also hope that Hill and Lyne show similar interest to any player we are after and not just the big fish. Well done Dogs.
He's popular in England so if that's your requirement to be a marquee player then I give it to you (Good to know Olam is also a marquee player). "skilled, or otherwise outstanding," when comparing him to the rest of the NRL I don't think so tho. He'll be a good/decent player tho.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
He's popular in England so if that's your requirement to be a marquee player then I give it to you (Good to know Olam is also a marquee player). "skilled, or otherwise outstanding," when comparing him to the rest of the NRL I don't think so tho. He'll be a good/decent player tho.
Popular lol. You choose you adventure mate and I will choose mine.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That’s ridiculous the wooden spoon Super League club would run rings around the CCup premier.
Where does the majority of NRL talent come from?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Haas is top quality player, and most likely still has a fair way to go to get to his ceiling.

But the risk with Haas is considerable. His build and size mean he is going to be very fortunate not to wind up with some serious injuries. In fact he is almost a dead certainty to get a major injury in the next 3 seasons. Does he have the mentality to pick himself up and get back to his best? Plenty of other promising players haven't. He has off field issues too. Anyone notice the comment the NRL had around Josh Reynolds? They said he had been fully open and up front with the integrity unit from day dot, and that other players would do well to follow that example. Why was he up front? Because he was innocent, he had nothing to hide. Haas was the opposite in the case involving his family, which means he is either complicit or an idiot. Either way it means that he is a greater risk, commit to him as a club at your own peril.

He might still turn out to be a great player with a 10+ year career at the top. I'm not saying he won't. But he is a risky proposition.
If Haas risky then...

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We were able to retain almost everyone we wanted before he was signed and we all know our squad right now isn't good enough to be a realistic finals team.
Judging from your response you either: a) believe we need an entire new squad to make the finals, b) believe that we won't be trying to retain any players at all during the 2020-2022 seasons, c) don't believe that we will sign any other new players who come up for contract renewal this side of 2023, d) spend no more than a few milliseconds contemplating the full implications of what others say, or e) all of the above.

Retaining players is not a binary process. There are plenty of things that are negotiated during contract extensions. Having Thompson on the books helps nudge the spectrum of negotiations a little (or a lot in some cases) towards the clubs favour. Some players are going to get closer to the ceiling in the next season, gaining interest from rival clubs in the process, keeping them on the books just got a bit easier with the Thompson signing. Likewise future signings who prove valuable will be easier to retain.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where does the majority of NRL talent come from?
I don’t get your point? Does that mean all teams that are used as a pathway for NRL players are better then a team in the Super League? CCup is mix of fringe NRL players, developing semi professional players and park footballers. The Super League is a fully professional competition with experienced hardened players it’s a no contest on what’s better.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Judging from your response you either: a) believe we need an entire new squad to make the finals, b) believe that we won't be trying to retain any players at all during the 2020-2022 seasons, c) don't believe that we will sign any other new players who come up for contract renewal this side of 2023, d) spend no more than a few milliseconds contemplating the full implications of what others say, or e) all of the above.

Retaining players is not a binary process. There are plenty of things that are negotiated during contract extensions. Having Thompson on the books helps nudge the spectrum of negotiations a little (or a lot in some cases) towards the clubs favour. Some players are going to get closer to the ceiling in the next season, gaining interest from rival clubs in the process, keeping them on the books just got a bit easier with the Thompson signing. Likewise future signings who prove valuable will be easier to retain.
a) I think we only need another three to four players to make the finals (realistically and be somewhat competitive when there). I don't think that is an entire new squad. b) We didn't struggle to keep anyone with our current squad. Retainment isn't our problem. c) We have to sign players as we have a salary cap to spend. The longer we leave it the less we have to pick from. I'm aware we can get players on contract for 2022, etc. for 2021. d) I react quickly so yes but you know I'm genuine with my responses. e) I have something to say for everything above so yes?

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t get your point? Does that mean all teams that are used as a pathway for NRL players are better then a team in the Super League? CCup is mix of fringe NRL players, developing semi professional players and park footballers. The Super League is a fully professional competition with experienced hardened players it’s a no contest on what’s better.
It's unreal LOL.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
"I think reserve grade is more competitive and a bigger indicator than Super League." Do I need to shorten the quote?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
"I think reserve grade is more competitive and a bigger indicator than Super League." Do I need to shorten the quote?
It’s not though so no need to shorten anything.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think reserve grade is more competitive and a bigger indicator than Super League. Maybe that hurts some people to hear.
Why would that hurt anyone? It is plain wrong, and most people are accustomed to hearing people be wrong on things on a regular basis, pain doesn't really come into it.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And we've had to sign him on a bigger contract because of it. Which is fine since that's the only way. We can't keep hiding forever as time is running up to sign players for 2021. Now three to four more!
How much is his contract for??