How many years can Des Hasler survive as our coach without winning a title?

How long?

• End of 2014

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • End of 2015

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • End of 2016

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • End of 2017

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • As long as he wants

Votes: 59 59.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Yes I would care you dimwitt.

No I wouldn't be blaming Des for it. Are you not able to think outside the square with that pea-sized blob of mucous you call a brain for 10 seconds? Have you not seen what Des has done at Manly, and done for the Dogs in the last 3 years?

Would you sack Des for Ricky Stuart? Steve Price? Anthony Griffin? John Cartwright? Ivan Cleary? Mick Potter? Bring John Lang out of retirement? Are you retarded? Will you thumb down this post also?
John Lang baby, i think he still has some juices left in the coaching brain tbh

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I voted As long as he wants but i gotta say i am slightly alarmed that since 2012 we have gone from having 3 grades in the final to having both lower grades right at the bottom. We haven't signed SFA players, which by the way is fine if you have some talented juniors coming through but considering how those teams are performing, it doesn't look that great. Our lineup next season is not going to look any different and that will make it two seasons in a row with no seasoned fullback.

KakkaDog

Banned
Reaction score
The thing about faith, is its belief despite the absence of evidence.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
With Tigers it was in reference to their situation with the coach.

On that point you made regarding tigers over achieving, do you not consider us as over achievers this year? A lot of people on here were giving us little hope to even make the finals. Even critics and footy experts thought the same. I think given the circumstances, Des has coached us to where were are this year. The season where we have no player unrest (Barba last year and Ennis this year) will be the season we win the comp.
Being away from Sydney media, all we hear is Broncos Broncos Broncos, so I can't recall what people were saying about the Dogs - but I definitely don't recall commentators saying we'd strugle to make the 8. By contrrast the one team I remember many saying would go nowhere was the Tigers. They are 12th at present, but still only 2 points out of the 8 and 4 behind us.

Not sure if the Tigers have a coaching problem, or a Robbie Farah problem.

On your final point, I think its wishful thinking that a club will never have some sort of player issue. It's the nature of beast, especially in the twitter and salary cap era.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Would you sack Des for Ricky Stuart? Steve Price? Anthony Griffin? John Cartwright? Ivan Cleary? Mick Potter? Bring John Lang out of retirement?
This question sums up the entire thread. In my eyes, Hasler is the best coach in the game and he'd be my number 1 choice 10/10. Is he perfect? No. Is anyone?

Why is the grass greener on the other side? The grass is pretty damn green in Belmore.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
sometimes it's not a question of a coaches ability but a cultural fit with a club. I agree that hasler is the best option (bar Bellamy) but if it gets to a point where we are playing an uninteresting and unsuccessful brand of footy then we'll need to look elsewhere.

A couple of things hasler hasn't got right are our attacking structures and some selection choices so he's not perfect.
Can he get us a premiership? absolutely
Should we move on if we haven't improved by the end of 2017? absolutely.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I voted As long as he wants but i gotta say i am slightly alarmed that since 2012 we have gone from having 3 grades in the final to having both lower grades right at the bottom. We haven't signed SFA players, which by the way is fine if you have some talented juniors coming through but considering how those teams are performing, it doesn't look that great. Our lineup next season is not going to look any different and that will make it two seasons in a row with no seasoned fullback.
The lower grades are there to develop talent, and only that, so guys will come up from there (Tim Browne, Josh Jackson, Dale Finucane, David Klemmer, Moses Mbye to name a few over the last couple years) and others who are judged to not cut the FG standard are moved on to make way for others. I guess it's the nature of it that they will go in cycles, based on where they are at development wise, who has been moved up, or moved on.

And to FB's, which seasoned fullback would you have signed if you where in charge of recruiting over the last 2 years?

Not so sure our squad will look the same next year, #9 will be different which makes a big change given the role played there, wingers likely will look different - Rona wasn't signed to play NSW cup, Loko pending fitness probably wasn't either. Brown might go, Thompson might, but has done enough to be in the mix either on the wing or at fullback (if he is given a look at FB, that opens Perrett to the wing, making competition for those spots more than there is now, or centres, but there you have Morris and Lafai....... our line up will change at the ruck, and looks like it will on the edges a bit too, they are addressing areas we need to strengthen already.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
What we do know is the guy can coach. He has the results to prove it. Just like cleal can recruit despite a very large number of people on here claiming he's rubbish.
The biggest gripe on here is due to the fact we don't have a fullback and as a result people are now questioning everyone from castle to hasler to the medical staff.
None of them are missing tackles, dropping the ball, kicking it dead or giving away shit penalties.
Despite our form slump I don't think this will even be an issue because we'll win one in the next three years

Malla

Reaction score
Being away from Sydney media, all we hear is Broncos Broncos Broncos, so I can't recall what people were saying about the Dogs - but I definitely don't recall commentators saying we'd strugle to make the 8. By contrrast the one team I remember many saying would go nowhere was the Tigers. They are 12th at present, but still only 2 points out of the 8 and 4 behind us.

Not sure if the Tigers have a coaching problem, or a Robbie Farah problem.

On your final point, I think its wishful thinking that a club will never have some sort of player issue. It's the nature of beast, especially in the twitter and salary cap era.
Yes. Most people and critics had us just in the 8.

Tigers do have a coaching problem.

Barba was something completely independent of the variables you mentioned above. Ennis leaving has caused player un-rest. Teams like Panthers, Souths and Warriors are playing great footy because all players are on the same page.

Reaction score
This question sums up the entire thread. In my eyes, Hasler is the best coach in the game and he'd be my number 1 choice 10/10. Is he perfect? No. Is anyone?

Why is the grass greener on the other side? The grass is pretty damn green in Belmore.
how would you know that when the refs keep smoking it all

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yes I would care you dimwitt.

No I wouldn't be blaming Des for it. Are you not able to think outside the square with that pea-sized blob of mucous you call a brain for 10 seconds? Have you not seen what Des has done at Manly, and done for the Dogs in the last 3 years?

Would you sack Des for Ricky Stuart? Steve Price? Anthony Griffin? John Cartwright? Ivan Cleary? Mick Potter? Bring John Lang out of retirement? Are you retarded? Will you thumb down this post also?
No need for name calling. Only a person who can't think of a logical argument resorts to name calling as they are simple and that's the simplest comeback you can do.

Toovey's record as coach as Manly is better than Hasler's and he's doing it with a patched up forward pack. I don't care who you are, if you coach a team for 5 years and haven't won a title then you don't deserve to coach that team anymore.

Since the NRL was formed in 1998 every team that won the comp had a coach who had won a title in their first 5 years with that club (with the exception of Steve Folkes because we were kicked out in 2002 when we were clearly the best team and would've won the comp). Going on that history if the coach isn't going to win you the comp in his first 5 years he wont win it for you.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My nan fro her nursing home could coach manly via skype and theyd still be in the top 4 and give the title a genuine shake. Just saying.

Bulldog John

Since 1935
Reaction score
I'm not saying I want him sacked. Just wondering how long each poster thinks he should be given.

He made the GF in his first year but we've been going backwards since. Kevin Moore nearly made the GF in his first year and we know how that turned out.
Who would you replace him with? Having said that, there is no one. So until there is, DH is the man.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Stewart will be our FB next year btw
All our alleged signing are just smoke and mirrors to deflect from our mediocrity. How many players have actually signed with us in 2013 and 2014 that have actually made a difference?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My nan fro her nursing home could coach manly via skype and theyd still be in the top 4 and give the title a genuine shake. Just saying.
I don't agree with that. I'm sure Matthew Elliott and Steve Price would take them out of the top 4 somehow.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If it wasnt for ratbois amazing 2012 we would have been has beens as well. So thats just my opinion but at the end of 5 yrs if no title then something needs to change. Players not responding. Id go for jim dymock or possible michael hagan of he wants to coach.
at the moment though i believe des is the right person but he has until 5th year to provide the goodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.