How long does Gus get?

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gus when doing what he does best needs to get the time he needs, he will see out his contract and more I hope provided hes doing best by the club.

People knock him for how he left the Panthers, if it wasn't for him they wouldnt be in their current form.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus when doing what he does best needs to get the time he needs, he will see out his contract and more I hope provided hes doing best by the club.

People knock him for how he left the Panthers, if it wasn't for him they wouldnt be in their current form.
How long was his contract?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You at least give him time until he can get everything in place the way he wants it.

There's still things that need addressing from previous admin and they can't get sorted instantly.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it will depend on how he deals with Barrett. He supported his original employment (although he did try and change his mind citing that we were a basket case) and has backed him publicly to the hilt so far. (as he should as GM).

If this turns into a drawn out disaster with another poor coaching choice, Gus will be directly in the firing line.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I don't think it's as easy as how quickly we get into the Top 4, but rather the trajectory in which the club goes that decides how long Gus stays. From next year, we really need to see significant improvements. No if's, and's or but's. All that will be on Barrett's head.

But, this is only Gus' first year so it's not worth talking about at this point in time imo.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So all the talk is about Baz and how long he's got left but the other question must be about Phil Gould. How many years does the club give him to get the side entrenched within the top 4?
He got more than enough time at Penrith in my opinion.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus is the least of our problems. He is one of the highest ranked managers in the game. He will get us out of this. If he can’t then no one else can! I don’t think he is sitting on his hands biting his nails waiting for a miracle. He can see what we can and no matter how much he sticks up for Baz I’m sure when the time comes he will throw the axe. If results keep happening like that have I’d assume by mid season Baz will be Gone

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus is the least of our problems. He is one of the highest ranked managers in the game. He will get us out of this. If he can’t then no one else can! I don’t think he is sitting on his hands biting his nails waiting for a miracle. He can see what we can and no matter how much he sticks up for Baz I’m sure when the time comes he will throw the axe. If results keep happening like that have I’d assume by mid season Baz will be Gone
Let’s hope so. It’s what he is here to do.!!

Lex

Waterboy
Reaction score
Round 6 and you’re thinking about getting rid of Gus? His role is primarily to open up junior pathways. Maybe you’re hoping that by round 7 or 8 we’ll see a massive influx of our juniors into our NRL side…?
Obviously it is something that takes years to achieve. Despite people’s criticism he was clearly behind Penrith’s ascension to the top. They now not only have a production line of talent, but they have a system that allows them to slot straight into first grade when ready.
I know people are sick of waiting, but we need to be patient. Talking about it in round 6 based on results he has no bearing on makes no sense at all.

Bacon_Muffin

Waterboy
Reaction score
I know Gus built Penrith into what they are but if you don't agree with him then it's out the door, dosen't matter how much money it cost and not that he cares as its not his money.
We are not Penrith and don't have anywhere near the juniors they can tap into.

I hope I'm wrong but I have a gut feeling the Gus era is going to end in tears for us.
He will sack Barrett and bring someone else in and try and control them but won't get his way and will walk away.

Kebab74

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I guess any financially prudent company would expect fairly quick return on their investment for a reported annual salary of $900k per year and yes the DT is a credible source.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What is it with the stupid threads? Look at the pathway he created at Penrith. The system is still spitting out superstars.

If he does this just as well here, expect to see our production line to spit out the likes of Khaled Rajeb, Paul Alomoti, Joash Papali, Shaq, and others. We have superstars coming through. They need to be nurtured properly and not thrown in like Ava, Wakeham, etc