How good is Luke Thompson

Tripehound

New Pup
Reaction score
Trust me I watch St Helens and Matty Lees is an average forward in super league, never mKe it in the Nrl
Arse and elbow springs to mind here mate. Matty Lees will be a regular England international in the next couple of seasons.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
doesnt make him very good lol, hes too small, Paasi has come to play for Saints and hes a mile better and more effective
Arse and elbow springs to mind here mate. Matty Lees will be a regular England international in the next couple of seasons.

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Had my doubts early on but he’s killing it and leading the way for the young blokes.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fcuk i hope he sticks around for a premiership window... would love this guy to go back home with a premiership in blue and white.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
pom forwards are built different tbh.... all the forwards over there are beasts
Half of them are mental, they headbutt, bite, elbow and rub eyes but they go like stink.
With the team evolving how good is he going to be?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Name me a better batch of players from the last 20-30 years than Bateman, Widdop, Hodgson, Graham, Burgess, Sutton, Whitehead, Williams, Thompson, Farnworth etc? Not to mention Clark, Roby and others that haven't came over..

There were great players like Morley, Ellis etc in years past but never this much depth across the board.

Not since the Ellery Hanley era where the Great Britain teams used to beat or threaten Australia regularly have they had this much talent.
I can tell though by the names you dropped that you are thinking players in the NRL.
And whilst the standard hasn’t dropped that much the gulf is as big as it’s been.

20 years ago everyone was gagging for Stuart Fielden to come to the nrl because he was supposedly the top 3 best props in the world but Fielden was like ‘fuck it’.There were also Soulja’s like Lee Crooks, Sean Long, Iestyn Harris, Kevin sinfield, Jamie peacock, young Ryan hall, Keith senior, Leon Pryce, Gareth Hock, the Robinson guy, Andy Farrell, chef Walker, Tony smith, Neil Law and Kris Radlinski.

the only difference is these guys had financial incentive to stay,

harvey Howard at one point was da only Pom playing in the nrl because of lack of bling.

the one that has truly gone down is France.
They used to whallop Australia in the 70s and 80s. At one stage they used to put cricket scores on us and be like ‘eat my bagel. Lick the butter off, be an inglorious basterd’ etc

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Absolute rubbish
France used to get pumped by Australia in the 80s

I can tell though by the names you dropped that you are thinking players in the NRL.
And whilst the standard hasn’t dropped that much the gulf is as big as it’s been.

20 years ago everyone was gagging for Stuart Fielden to come to the nrl because he was supposedly the top 3 best props in the world but Fielden was like ‘fuck it’.There were also Soulja’s like Lee Crooks, Sean Long, Iestyn Harris, Kevin sinfield, Jamie peacock, young Ryan hall, Keith senior, Leon Pryce, Gareth Hock, the Robinson guy, Andy Farrell, chef Walker, Tony smith, Neil Law and Kris Radlinski.

harvey Howard at one point was da only Pom playing in the nrl because of lack of bling.

They used to whallop Australia in the 70s and 80s. At one stage they used to put cricket scores on us and be like ‘eat my bagel. Lick the butter off, be an inglorious basterd’ etc

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Why did you distort and misrepresent my quote ?

NovaScotiaDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I used to love watching the French play, they were super tough. I remember a story at the time, unconfirmed, the aussies and French were drinking at a pub, after a test match, the French forwards were running into a brick wall, headfirst and only one Australian would try it, Rex Mossop, kinda makes sense especially when his nickname was moose and he wasn’t playing with a full deck lol

Malla

Reaction score
Still has a mistake in him here and there and in defense you can still see him struggling behind the ruck at times trying to adjust to the speed of the game but overall what a player. He needs to make sure he plays out the rest of the season. Needs the reps behind him in the NRL. Remember Graham did not set the world on first straight away, took him a good 20 games to start finding his rhythm in the NRL.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

My memory tells me that you have to go back to the late 1940's early 1950's when the French could beat us, since then the big money offered by French Rugby has killed RL in France.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
My memory tells me that you have to go back to the late 1940's early 1950's when the French could beat us, since then the big money offered by French Rugby has killed RL in France.
I checked, it was the late 70s they were smashing us
455928DB-28FD-4844-91DA-2BD086A61AE5.png

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I agree that the gulf seems to have gotten bigger but France did not wallop Australia in rugby league during the 70s and 80s.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree that the gulf seems to have gotten bigger but France did not wallop Australia in rugby league during the 70s and 80s.
yeah i correCted myseLf after, i meant 70s. the late 70s they were all over us.

Consider how bad they were by 1994, it makes you realise;
1) how many french superstars were there that we never heard about here in oz?
2) What the hell happened in those 15 years to the Chandeliers? from beating oz and England to getting pummelled 74-0 in '94.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah i correCted myseLf after, i meant 70s. the late 70s they were all over us.

Consider how bad they were by 1994, it makes you realise;
1) how many french superstars were there that we never heard about here in oz?
2) What the hell happened in those 15 years to the Chandeliers? from beating oz and England to getting pummelled 74-0 in '94.
All good

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Those days french dominated too, but in the late 70s there was a stretch of a few years whewre they beat us up.