How Dragons rejection opened door for young gun’s ‘dream’ contract

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘Bulldog for life’: How Dragons rejection opened door for young gun’s ‘dream’ contract

Aaron Schoupp was only two-years old when the Bulldogs last won the premiership.

Naturally, he doesn’t remember that special Sunday night in 2004, but his Dad and pop — both diehard fans — made sure their future Bulldog became familiar with it.

“I wasn’t old enough to see or remember that era, but I’ve watched the replay,” Schoupp told foxsports.com.au.

The 20-year-old enjoyed a rapid rise last season in his beloved Bulldogs jersey that was only made possible by rejection from the Dragons and a new rule allowing players

outside of the Top 30 to be selected for NRL.

Now, after securing a three-year deal with the club, Schoupp has one thing on his mind: “It’s my dream to win a premiership with the Bulldogs. It would be the best thing ever.”

Schoupp’s journey to Belmore started back in the heart of the Illawarra. He grew up surrounded by Dragons fans, but his dad and pop took him down a different path — which explains why this Bulli boy dreamt of pulling on a Bulldogs jersey.

He started rugby league at eight-years old, however if it wasn’t for his mum’s hesitation about the contact he would have been playing much earlier.

“She made me play soccer when I was younger so I had to beg my dad to let me play,” he laughed.

“As soon as I can remember, I was going to games with my dad and pop. The ‘Back to Belmore’ games were the best.

“I remember watching the Bulldogs and thinking ‘one day I want to play for them’.”

1645132114182.png

The Thirroul Butchers junior progressed through the Dragons system and was a member of the Steelers’ 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning side alongside the likes of Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan, Talatau Amone and the Feagai twins.

The club locked in those five players — who have all gone on to debut for the Red V — but didn’t see Schoupp as a part of their future.

The Bulldogs offered Schoupp a gig with their Jersey Flegg side in 2020 but the competition was cancelled after one game due to Covid-19.

Eight months later he found himself training alongside the likes of Bulldogs veterans Josh Jackson and Will Hopoate when he started a $1,000-a-week train-and-trial deal ahead of the 2021 season.

“The Dragons said there was nothing really for me going forward. I could have stayed as a back-up player, but I sat down with my manager and the Bulldogs came knocking on the door,” Schoupp said.

“I haven’t looked back since.

“I took the train-and-trial as an opportunity to prove to people that I belong in the NRL.”

And that he did.

Schoupp started last season in New South Wales Cup. He scored four tries in six games, averaging four tackle busts and over 150 running metres per game.

As soon as Round 11 ticked over — when coaches could select players from outside their Top 30 — Schoupp was straight into the NRL side.

He debuted against the Titans and of course his whole family flew up to the Gold Coast to watch him in action. So too did Vivan Sos — the much-loved ‘housemum’ of the Bulldog house on York Street, Belmore, where Schoupp lived for two years.

“She’s the best,” Schoupp said of Sos.

“She was massive for me because I obviously had to move out of home for the first time. She’s been a big help for quite a few boys, she’s always there and is a shoulder to cry on.

“I still go and see her once or twice a week.”

He now lives in a unit with teammate Bailey Biondi-Odo in Belmore, not far from all the action on Burwood Road where he sheepishly admitted to getting the occasional free coffee from the famous Jobel’s Cafe.

That’s a perk every current and former Dogs player knows well.

In a season where teenage prodigies Sam Walker and Reece Walsh stole the show, Schoupp snuck somewhat under the radar.

But this hard-running centre’s rookie year didn’t go unnoticed by the Bulldogs faithful.

He played 13 NRL games, averaging 132 metres per game — the team’s second highest — and got to go up against the player he was “obsessed with” growing up, Josh Morris.

“I’ve never met him before, but I was lucky enough to verse him last year when he was at the Roosters and I got to go one-on-one with him which is pretty special,” he said.

“They won the game so I guess he won that battle.”

Schoupp was rewarded with a three-year NRL deal in September. He described the moment he put pen to paper as both “surreal” and a “relief.”

Surreal because the young Doggies fan inside of him was now living his dream. And a relief because he genuinely has “no idea” what he’d be doing with his life if he didn’t make it in footy.

Schoupp got the full experience of being an elite athlete last year, complete with off-season surgery.

He went in for what was meant to be minor shoulder surgery in September but ended up requiring a full rotator cuff repair. Bulldogs general manager of football, Phil Gould said at the time he “must be a tough kid.”

Schoupp, who revealed he has “come back a little bit earlier” than expected, has been named in Canterbury-Bankstown’s squad for Monday’s trial game against Newcastle.

It’s a good thing that shoulder is in tip-top condition because he plans on being a “more dominant player and have more presence” this season. He may even emulate a bit of Victor Radley’s game too.

“He’s just old-school,” Schoupp said when asked what he liked about the Roosters star.

“He can ball-play, he can hit, he runs hard. For someone that’s not as big as what other people are, I like the way he can hit people.

“I would love to be able to put shots on like he does.”

He’ll be able to lean on the advice of some handy players that have put the odd ‘shot’ on in their life with Willie Mason now on the Dogs coaching staff and Reni Maitua and Sonny Bill Williams also dropping by to help.

“It’s pretty surreal when Big Willie’s running around yelling things out,” he said.

“Reni pops in and Sonny’s still busy with his boxing, but once he’s done there he’s going to come in.

“Willie and Reni came to couple of games last year and were in the sheds so it was good to see those guys when you’re getting ready for a game.”

It’s a long way down the track, but perhaps Schoupp will one day be a club legend dropping into Belmore to share his words of wisdom.

You can tell he’s thought about it.

When prompted on his long-term future Schoupp blurted it out before the question was even finished: “I’d love to be at the Bulldogs for the rest of my life... I want to be a Bulldog for life.”

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So SBW is going to be dropping in occasionally. I'm 50/50 on that one. The players will look up to him.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
These players build teams up from the dirt, so glad we have him for 3 years. Heaps of potential but so far showed great promise even with a terrible shoulder. Keen for this year, probs one of my favorite players.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
His attitude, effort and love of the club are why he’s my current favourite Bulldog. Hopefully he can nail that right centre spot or take back his left spot this season

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love his mongrel and how competitive he is.. I think his future is in the forwards eventually. He's a really good squad player to have. His attitude and effort stood out the most last season. He was showing up a lot of his more experienced and highly paid teammates on a regular basis.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good article for a change! He did pretty well considering where he's come from. Overlooked by Dragons and only started on a train and trial deal. Pretty impressive going from that, to securing a 3 year contract. Looking forward to seeing how he goes in the future.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
but how much passion does he have in the jersey? PASSION

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Might eventually transition to the forwards like Jack bird did ... especially if we have Alamoti and Larson Dale-Doyle coming though.
He's aggressive, hard working and looks to be a hole running type of player. Those skills are interchangeable between both centre and edge backrow so he could defenitely transition over time like we've seen with Aitken just recently if that's what the club wanted.

Die For The Badge

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
These are the players we want at our club. Passionate aggressive and know what the badge means to them. If previous players come in and run off on these guys they can take a lot out of it. I know some have bad history of leaving the club on bad terms but you need to understand they were young too and left thinking it was better for them. Unfortunately when they leave only the rare ones have succeeded eg SBW with boxing and premiership at the roosters. If SBW does come and shows the passion of the Bulldogs to these young guys, it is all positive.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really hope the kid kills it this year. He's definitely a bit raw and hopefully his defensive reads improve this season. But he goes hard and absolutely does not take a backwards step which is what I love about him.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Like Schoupp, still a lot to learn obviously but has all the attributes to be a powerful centre for us for years to come.

On another note, why the fuck do all the kids these days say we “versed” someone? when did it stop becoming “played”.

Millenials…

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Like Schoupp, still a lot to learn obviously but has all the attributes to be a powerful centre for us for years to come.

On another note, why the fuck do all the kids these days say we “versed” someone? when did it stop becoming “played”.

Millenials…
Because play means sex

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Aaron is such a good kid. Seems really humble and I remember his old man seemed like a real top bloke in his jersey presentation.

I'd love to see him back on the left edge with Fox then Alamoti and Naden on the wing on the right side. Strike both sides of the field.