Opinion How do you solve a problem like Averillo?

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if we play cook at 9 it'll take alot of pressure off of the halves and we wont be as one dimensional and reliant on Averillo's (poor) kicking game. Cook offered much better service, he played eyes up footy and he put in grubbers as well as being a running threat. With a hooker like that, the halves wont have as much pressure come 5th tackle as the attack becomes far more unpredictable. Having Dufty and his attacking vision, as shown with the cut out to dickhead last night, also alleviates a little bit of pressure from the halves too. With a spine like that Averillo may be able to just settle it down a little bit and just become a first receiver and pass kind of player and let the 1, 6, 9 do most of the creative attacking. Its not ideal but it's better than JMK and Flannagan and if it works for a year then so be it, we can recruit a 7 for 2023

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
if Souths dont go thru with the Contract for Milford... Should we consider.. he may be just what we need at this point in time, i see no Half stepping up from last years efforts.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With an ex N.S.W and Australian representative halfback as a coach how the hell are all our halfback hopefuls so bloody clueless? I like Barrett but the question lingers.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it into a silk purse.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
As bad as Averillo was last night, he's still probably the best option out of a bad bunch right now.

How he and the other halves look with Burton will say a lot. Hopefully in the next trial, the other halves step up and play with more confidence with Burton running the show..
Why would we play a third rate Burton wannabe alongside Burton when we could play an elite organiser like me?

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You make him solely a first receiver and give Burton and Dufty early ball to play eyes up footy. Take all the pressure off him except for the absolute basics. Only way this works

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With an ex N.S.W and Australian representative halfback as a coach how the hell are all our halfback hopefuls so bloody clueless? I like Barrett but the question lingers.
5aa0632e79029086081cd5d42cfc77bf_w200.gif

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do an IQ test and train his mind to think FAST.
We have to define his job to him and list his options in play, ie pass, grubber, high ball, side step run?
There are choices.
Find the quickest thinker out of our halves.
NRL players are not stoopid, they make good money by thinking fast.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Reggies until he proves otherwise..... simples!
I agree with that statement but the issue is nobody really stood up last night when we had field position. Same old story. I think this week playing alongside Burton might give some of our young halves more confidence and they will learn a lot too. It’s definitely a work in progress and miles off the finished product.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poor Mutt getting hit from all angles due to his loyalty to Avo (almost as fierce as his love for Mbye) and also his disdain for Dufty (not on par with Reynolds but heading towards that peak)

[emoji23]
Gee he's got a good strike rate. Mybe and Avo.. OOF

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is nothing to improve on imo, all the replacements as well as Avo have had more then enough time to work on skill and what I saw last night was no improvement on 2021.

Baz and Gus (who I hope has the final say with the team) have massive work on their hands.

I feel for Burton as the pressure is going to be on him to carry the team.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Except for the stubborn ones who can't accept that he's not the answer at 7 and never will be, what do you do with him? He's had more than enough opportunity to show he can be the halfback, and has barely showed anything. His skills are obviously pace and footwork, so imo, he can only be used in the backline, and I don't even know if he's better than our other options there. He could probably be a decent centre, but we have several wuality guys in that position.

It's disappointing as he was looking to be a future star when he emerged, but he just hasn't kicked on. I really don't know what we should do with him.
He needs to go back to school in the NSW cup to keep learning and developing. Wether it’s in the halves or somewhere in the backs he has to go back and learn.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I agree with that statement but the issue is nobody really stood up last night when we had field position. Same old story. I think this week playing alongside Burton might give some of our young halves more confidence and they will learn a lot too. It’s definitely a work in progress and miles off the finished product.
Just the glaring issue that's been there for years yet our Coaching staff thinks will be solved by rewarding reserve grade players with a FG jersey hoping that the Footy Fairy will some how wave their wand and make them able to be a FG #7. As Assasin said pretty much. Why throw all that money at Top Deck when we should have grabbed Reynolds....

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Back to reggies for a couple of months to work on his game with less pressure on him