Opinion How do we overcome referee bias?

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL needs to have a big look at the referees recruitment process.
The incumbents dont seem to have any idea what Rugby League is about.
They seem to be to technical and pedantic. Fans are walking away in droves.
Recruit refs from England

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As we improve and become a top 8 side, get more prime time TV games we will soon see referees give us the ‘run of the green’ If we can get 1-2 journos to highlight how referees miss a lot on us and we continually get the ‘wrong end of the stick’ it will change.
The NRL could do everyone in the comp a favour and remove all Sutton’s associations with the referees

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's always 14 on 13 go figure.....but according to the NRL niff nuffs move along there is nothing to see here. *Cough*

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ban betting all together!!! That is the only way to take the game back.

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
We all know that Souffs get the rub of the green when we play them. So sick and tired of the same shit decisions every game,and it will never change until we become a top 8nteam again. Payton was spot-on when he called out the ref's earlier this year. I still don't understand how we lost that challenge early as it looked to me like the hand hit not the arm not the ball,and the video ref had no clue what he was looking at. That cost us later on in the strip when we couldn't challenge it.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Even Trent Robinson complains about the referees being biased against the roosters so what hope do we have?
There’s refs I don’t like because they are wankers (the Sutton bitches & Cummins) but dwelling on it and claiming bias does nothing. We just need to be better and the wins will come

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
+
.... I still don't understand how we lost that challenge early......
The referee had already called it as the hand hitting the ball not the arm. The video ref cannot over-rule the on-field ref unless there is clear evidence that he got it wrong.

The real problem lies in the stupidity of a system that demands a referee make a decision one way or the other, when he sometimes has no idea what really happened. A typical case - an attacking player carries the ball over the try line and is immediately submerged in a sea of defenders. Nobody has any idea if the ball has touched the ground or not, but the referee has to say "yes" or "no" regardless, and the video ref is then stuck with that decision. If common sense ruled, the on-field referee would be able to say if he wasn't in a position to adjudicate, and he would allow the video ref to make the call.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Refs have always had it in for us, but I can't help but feel that it got worse (this year) when we signed on NSW Government Gambling Aware" as a sponsor.

Given the game and most teams have a betting partner sponsor them, the appointment of a sponsor that is anti gambling would have pissed a lot of them off as well as NRL HQ I reckon.