How do we improve the NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most fans are complaining about the way the game is progressing in one way or another.

Its either referring standards or lack there of, player movements, salary cap, drug scandals, ongoing changes to rules, crappy media reports, medias BS rumours, crap player managers, player egos, expansion, etc.

What improvements or changes are required to improve the NRL?

My list includes as follows:

1. NRL to make players playout their contracts or they cant play for another team.
2. Bring back the shoulder charge. It will become a pussy sport one day otherwise.
3. All games to be broadcast live on either or Fox.
4. Get rid of the dedicated GayFL channel on Fox & make it a dedicated NRL channel.

I assume the Kennel members are quit intelligent & should be able to improve this list.

If you could change the game for the better, what would you change?

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well these are the reasons I'm losing interest and many mates of mine agree.

A. The wrestling
B. Games have no flow any more - it's just a penalty fest now with teams depending and scoring off the back of them.

That's why origin is different... The ref's actually let them play the god damn sport.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well these are the reasons I'm losing interest and many mates of mine agree.

A. The wrestling
B. Games have no flow any more - it's just a penalty fest now with teams depending and scoring off the back of them.

That's why origin is different... The ref's actually let them play the god damn sport.
Yes the wrestling is pathetic! I just dont know how they will stop it.

A tackle around the legs or boot laces should also be rewarded. Currently a quick play of the ball will get a penalty which is wrong.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Referees are not answerable for their **** ups. This needs to change.
- Referees currently get away with talking to players like shit when they have every right to question a decision. I could understand this attitude if the refs were getting things right but often enough captains only blow up when the refs are caning their team unfairly with penalties.

2. Reduce the interchange (even 15 years ago 100kg forwards would have been considered large, now 100kgs is underweight for a forward) This is because players only need to play short stints before substitution.

3. Oust Schubert as the salary cap auditor. This shouldn't have been a job they gave to a former player who has loyalties to one club in particular.

4. If the media insists on pushing the negative stories then they should only be given limited accessto the stars of the game. If they feel like they are going to be shut out then maybe they wikl respest the game that they draw a wage from crucifying. Kind of a respect our game or **** off ultimatum.

5. It probably won't happen but if player managers are going to create media saga's to pressure clubs into upgrading contracts then the NRL should have options to deal with their rubbish. It's starting to become a big issue with the game. I personally don't want to have to live out another saga like we are seeing with Barba right now. No other fan should have to either.

6. Ticket prices need to be reviewed in all honesty. If a family is struggling to make ends meet then a day out at the football becomes a luxury. At $40 per adult and added costs of commuting and 5* priced 1* quality food, you seriously have to question if you are getting value for money considering the same match can probably be seen on TV somewhere. Add in some kids and it's a very expensive 80 minutes when you consider that the same person could go to the movies and buy a small feast while they watch for the same $40 that will only get them entry to a game. If they are serious about having filled stadiums then maybe they could make all kids entry free in the stadiums that never look like filling up. A child who watches the football live every week is much more likely to become a regular when they are an adult and they will bring kids along eventually too. The NRL needs to view every child they can entice to a game as a long term investment rather than being greedy ***** now and looking to take every cent they can from families. Hopefully Greenberg has some foresight in regards to this issue.

7. More thought needs to go into planning of the games clubs take on the road. I'll use the axample of the sunday game we took to Gosford. Had they made that a saturday game then i would have made the trip (500 or so km). But scheduling it for sunday meant it was too much hassle when i had to work on monday morning. I don't recall them giving much notice about when the game was to be played either.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
- Referees currently get away with talking to players like shit when they have every right to question a decision. I could understand this attitude if the refs were getting things right but often enough captains only blow up when the refs are caning their team unfairly with penalties.

2. Reduce the interchange (even 15 years ago 100kg forwards would have been considered large, now 100kgs is underweight for a forward) This is because players only need to play short stints before substitution.

3. Oust Schubert as the salary cap auditor. This shouldn't have been a job they gave to a former player who has loyalties to one club in particular.

4. If the media insists on pushing the negative stories then they should only be given limited accessto the stars of the game. If they feel like they are going to be shut out then maybe they wikl respest the game that they draw a wage from crucifying. Kind of a respect our game or **** off ultimatum.

5. It probably won't happen but if player managers are going to create media saga's to pressure clubs into upgrading contracts then the NRL should have options to deal with their rubbish. It's starting to become a big issue with the game. I personally don't want to have to live out another saga like we are seeing with Barba right now. No other fan should have to either.

6. Ticket prices need to be reviewed in all honesty. If a family is struggling to make ends meet then a day out at the football becomes a luxury. At $40 per adult and added costs of commuting and 5* priced 1* quality food, you seriously have to question if you are getting value for money considering the same match can probably be seen on TV somewhere. Add in some kids and it's a very expensive 80 minutes when you consider that the same person could go to the movies and buy a small feast while they watch for the same $40 that will only get them entry to a game. If they are serious about having filled stadiums then maybe they could make all kids entry free in the stadiums that never look like filling up. A child who watches the football live every week is much more likely to become a regular when they are an adult and they will bring kids along eventually too. The NRL needs to view every child they can entice to a game as a long term investment rather than being greedy ***** now and looking to take every cent they can from families. Hopefully Greenberg has some foresight in regards to this issue.

7. More thought needs to go into planning of the games clubs take on the road. I'll use the axample of the sunday game we took to Gosford. Had they made that a saturday game then i would have made the trip (500 or so km). But scheduling it for sunday meant it was too much hassle when i had to work on monday morning. I don't recall them giving much notice about when the game was to be played either.
Agree 1,000,000% with your statements above.

Hopefully Todd Greenburg will read all this, take it on board and make the game as great as it can be. The potential is there but we the NRL need TG to get it there.

If anyone can do it TG can!

He is a member so I really hope he reads this.

I look forward to more constructive comments from other Kennel members much like yours Alan79. Great effort!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks Stoofy. For the record i think 1, 2 and 6 are the points that most need fixing. I'm also keen to see what others think.

I was originally very sad to hear we were losing Greenburg but i agree with you in being confident that he is the man to start sorting through the issues. He has a very good perspective on the game now and i think he will be a great asset to the game for years to come.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks Stoofy. For the record i think 1, 2 and 6 are the points that most need fixing. I'm also keen to see what others think.

I was originally very sad to hear we were losing Greenburg but i agree with you in being confident that he is the man to start sorting through the issues. He has a very good perspective on the game now and i think he will be a great asset to the game for years to come.
Post match interviews with the refs, questioning their calls & interpretations. It would be interesting with the coaches.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
A proper reserve grade comp.

3 games on game day. 20s, Reserves, Firsts.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres my list you may disagree or agree but it's just another point of view.

1) make memberships affordable for season seats - would you rather have 20,000 members paying full price or 50,000 paying half -
Do the math and you know which group you would get more money from, plus more bum on seats makes it enjoyable and beneficial for the game in the long run.

2)At the games I would love the refs mics heard in the stadium - penalty rulings,calling out players names that are offside and yelling out last tackle to be played over the loudspeaker.

3)A dedicated bay at all fields where die-hard fans can bring flags no matter what size and banners - obviously for security purposes each fan must be a member and sign some sort of contract retracting from any bad behaviour and the consequences are bans or fines.

4)The NRL is making some good coin over the TV rights deal and should possibly look into buying a share into ANZ stadium as I have read the current owners are looking into offloading the stadium - possibly buying a percentage and then later a few years down the track buy the remaining portion - They could move NRL HQ over there, Play the most important games plus they will get revenue from all the other sports,concerts,shows that go on in the off season. This will also boost our claim to have our home games played at Belmore. But most importantly will be the pride of the game.

5)Golden point should be Golden Try - I personally like to see a game decided on some brilliance not a kick fest.

thats all for now..

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
1. remove the cap on players salaries, clubs who go broke will be removed from the league

2. let me be in charge of the referees

3. 3 incorrect captains challenges per game, referees now dont go to the video referee for tries, the captains must challenge

4. players who get subbed cant come back on but a 7 man bench, this will open the game up

5. 5 minutes at the end of each half the clock stops when the ball is dead, this will improve late game scenarios and keep the game alive, for example a team might then be able to score 3 tries in 3 minutes because the other team wont scrub off 40 seconds to the kick-off

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Heres my list you may disagree or agree but it's just another point of view.

1) make memberships affordable for season seats - would you rather have 20,000 members paying full price or 50,000 paying half -
Do the math and you know which group you would get more money from, plus more bum on seats makes it enjoyable and beneficial for the game in the long run.

2)At the games I would love the refs mics heard in the stadium - penalty rulings,calling out players names that are offside and yelling out last tackle to be played over the loudspeaker.

3)A dedicated bay at all fields where die-hard fans can bring flags no matter what size and banners - obviously for security purposes each fan must be a member and sign some sort of contract retracting from any bad behaviour and the consequences are bans or fines.

4)The NRL is making some good coin over the TV rights deal and should possibly look into buying a share into ANZ stadium as I have read the current owners are looking into offloading the stadium - possibly buying a percentage and then later a few years down the track buy the remaining portion - They could move NRL HQ over there, Play the most important games plus they will get revenue from all the other sports,concerts,shows that go on in the off season. This will also boost our claim to have our home games played at Belmore. But most importantly will be the pride of the game.

5)Golden point should be Golden Try - I personally like to see a game decided on some brilliance not a kick fest.

thats all for now..

#1 I agree with completely.
#2 I think would annoy more people than it would please at the moment
#4 Is probably one of the best investments the NRL could make.

1. remove the cap on players salaries, clubs who go broke will be removed from the league

2. let me be in charge of the referees

3. 3 incorrect captains challenges per game, referees now dont go to the video referee for tries, the captains must challenge

4. players who get subbed cant come back on but a 7 man bench, this will open the game up

5. 5 minutes at the end of each half the clock stops when the ball is dead, this will improve late game scenarios and keep the game alive, for example a team might then be able to score 3 tries in 3 minutes because the other team wont scrub off 40 seconds to the kick-off
I'm not sure if #3 would be all that great because after the 3 challenges were used the refs would be very open to exploiting the callings in any way they pleased afterwards.

#4 I think could be toyed with but i think a 7 man bench is a touch over the top. I'd maybe go with 4 players who can get subbed twice and 1 impact reserve who could only be subbed on in the last 20 minutes. Maybe with the stipulation that it has to be someone from the lower grades to give them short stints in the NRL to find their feet.

#5 I agree with 100%. Hate seeing sides take 2 minutes to form a scrum when the game is in the balance.

And to add to the idea of making referees accountable. Maybe they could give coaches the ability to submit complaints about incorrect callings that offer a certain number of points towards a suspension for the referee or something. Kind of like giving coaches a judiciary they can send the referees to. Fair enough that the NRL don't want the refs publicly criticized by coaches but why should clubs/coaches not have any avenue for complaint.

Naki

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Refereeing... I think they trialed a 6 again rule for penalties during the all stars game.. Being that on board.. That was awesome.. Instead of the constant stop/start

2. Stoppage time like football(soccer to the clueless) does.. Time wasting shouldn't be allowed.

3. I'd like to see teams getting punished for getting the spoon... Promote 1 NSW cup team or QLD cup team.. I dunno, teams who come last should get axed lol..

4. An 18th man emergency substitution.. If an opposition team injures a player that badly that the player can't continue.. Why should the team get affected and be forced to play with 16 players?

5. Need to do something about player contracts and players walking out on clubs to sign with other clubs... I think a player trade system or something along those lines would help.

6. For ****s sake, give the video referee a license to disallow tries off forward passes FFS! What kind of stupid ass rule is that?

7. Back to referees... Take the referee out of the game as much as possible.. I can't sit there and watch those pricks try to stamp their authority... If there's a **** up, video ref should be allowed to call the **** up and reverse the decision... WTF are they there for... (Rhetorical question for all the smarties out there..)

8. Salary cap.. Fix it.. Add a marquee player allowance... Home grown talent... Figure out a way to stop punishing teams that blood their own youngsters... Saves teams like these getting pillaged by scavengers such as the roosters, eels, cronulla and other teams a like

9. Fix the schedule for games... FFS! Stop letting other codes shit all over our sport..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Bring in Coaches challenge like the NFL, but then again, it will make the refs job harder rigging games in the TAB's favour.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing that REALLY needs to change is the punishment needs to be across the board. I'm all for second chances but a ban, needs to be an NRL ban. The poor bastards that are Canberra did the right thing when they sacked Carney and the Mount Druitt rat Josh Dugan. But what exactly was the punishment the players copped? A slap on the wrist, a new long term massive contract and Origin for both players while Canberra sit back and watch. Talk about punishing the innocent.

If X team sacks a player for constant breaches, it needs to be an NRL ban. Not walk down the road to that desperate club and get a contract 4 times the amount you were on.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I posted this on another forum,

"I don't agree with the 'spread talent for even comp' concept. Better clubs deserve to stay on top, however you should have stronger exemptions for talent you produce, one club players, father/son rules etc. That will help all clubs to remain strong IF they can produce some talent.

A marquee system will also work well to attract at least 1 big name player to each club. Keep the likes of Falou in the game, and Sonny, etc. That's not a bad thing, one player doesn't make or break a side.

What's wrong with the game ? Besides the media/Footy Show/Phil Gould dragging the game through the mud and insulting the head of game at will (unbelieve when you think about it, only sport in the world a useless inbred cuant awards himself that much power)

But IMO to fix the actual game properly you need to change it from the 13 Iron Man game it has become. At the moment you don't know you winger from halfback from second rower, they all look the same. In some cases the centres are bigger than the forwards *scratches head*

A. Bring back real scums, that will force you to have short bulky forwards, which will increase the value of the smaller man in the game

B. Drop the interchange to 4

C. No bombs inside the 30m, allow real skill to win the game and it will bring back smaller talented wingers not just tall useless farks

D. 80 minute draw = 1pt, play it out for an extra point with Golden TRY

IMO I'd enjoy the game a lot more if they did this, but I doubt anything will change"

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score

1. I disagree, referees call the game to the best of their ability. They aren't on $700k to be held overly accountable. They have their own systems to improve themselves. Everyone else should simply get on with it IMO

2. I agree with the reduction in interchange 100%

3. The salary cap as a whole needs to be revised. Too be fair I liked David Smith's comments on NRL 360 last week. Take your time, but get it right

4. The media as a whole needs to wake up a little. Granted they are reporting on the stories people want to read HOWEVER they manipulate the story into the actual story they want read. Big difference here

5. Same as point 3, they whole buying/selling/perhaps trading players needs to be revised

6. Agree/Disagree, whilst it would be nice however if the prices are fairly similar with other sports (which they are IMO) you can't do much about it. But certain their shoud be areas of improvement

7. I agree

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Whilst golden point isn't popular with some, Golden Try isn't the answer. Defensive teams will simply stop a try at all costs, leading to infringements, slowing down play etc.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
One thing that REALLY needs to change is the punishment needs to be across the board. I'm all for second chances but a ban, needs to be an NRL ban. The poor bastards that are Canberra did the right thing when they sacked Carney and the Mount Druitt rat Josh Dugan. But what exactly was the punishment the players copped? A slap on the wrist, a new long term massive contract and Origin for both players while Canberra sit back and watch. Talk about punishing the innocent.

If X team sacks a player for constant breaches, it needs to be an NRL ban. Not walk down the road to that desperate club and get a contract 4 times the amount you were on.
I agree with this 100%

The whole Dugan/Ferguson saga earlier this year represented EVERYTHING that is wrong with the game.

What was Dugan and Fergusons punishment for completely disrespecting their coach/team? New lucrative contracts, SOO appearances, what else? Absolutely NO responsibility shown by the NRL for player welfare, impact/attitude on kids watching the game

So what ended up happening? Ferguson assaults a young girl…

*stands and applauds*

Status
Not open for further replies.