How do they get remembered ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Regarding retired or former sportspeople/club-members : You know the old saying .....

"Everyone remembers {insert name of someone} as someone who ...... {insert good traits here}."

How do you remember the following Bulldogs of seasons past ?

1. Rod Silva.
2. Craig Polla-Mounter
3. Jason Hetheringon
4. Simon Gilles
5. Jason Williams
6. Tony Grimaldi
7. Paul Rauhihi
8. Mitch Newton
9. Travis Norton
10. Dean Pay.

If thread makes it to 100 posts - Part Two will follow and a new list.

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
You forgot Robert Relf!!

Rod Silva and Simon Gillies are in my top 10 all time favourite Bulldogs players

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Simon Gilles - was unlucky not to win a Clive Churchill Medal

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gillies, Pay & Hetherington as part of one of the best Bulldogs packs ever were fantastic, tough and hit HARD !

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
travis norton had so much potential as well.. he was really creative a handy player problem was he would play 3 games injured 4. one of my favourite players from that era. he did a lot for the dogs when he was on the field

X

XxFoVoSxX

how can you forget jim serdaris?

p.s i socialize with him all the time :o

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
tony grimaldi- great tackler he use to plug the holes in the middle of the ruck.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Tony Grimaldi - Did the best 1 on 1 strip ever

bullfrog_rip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Rod Silva. running from 2cms from his own ingoal touchline to almost their 20 metre line against newcastle in the semi.
2. Craig Polla-Mounter who can forget the try in the wet where he slid a couple of metres at belmore or the almost there field goal from the half way line against eels
3. Jason Hetheringon awesome defender big hitter
4. Simon Gilles scoring the last try against canberra in a semi
5. Jason Williams stepping a canberra winger making a break and from there dogs kick a field goal against canberra to win the semi in 94
6. Tony Grimaldi who can forget the strip? or the dropped ball over the line on full time against newcastle in the semi which went to extra time.
7. Paul Rauhihi big hits
8. Mitch Newton just remember him being fkn huge
9. Travis Norton awesome player could have been more but was always injured
10. Dean Pay. remember the pass to silva to score in the corner against parra!!

thats all i remember.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Jason Hetherington - had the dryest sense of humour in Rugby League

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. Rod Silva: "quick Silva". Fast, could attack from anywhere.
2. Craig had his ups and downs, but played a blinder against Parra in "that" semi.
3. Jason was as hard as nails. A real leader when it counted.
4. Simon Gillies: another of the hard men. Not afraid to tackle.
5. Jason Williams. A good team man.
6. Grimaldi: "the Lobster". Our best defender of the decade.
7. Paul Rauhihi. Another good team man. Solid in defence.
8. Mitch: a giant, but too nice on the field. A bit of "mongrel" would have helped.
9. Travis Norton. One that got away. Awesome on his day. Great leader.
10. Dean Pay. Top forward. One of a number that we lost through Super League.

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding retired or former sportspeople/club-members : You know the old saying .....

"Everyone remembers {insert name of someone} as someone who ...... {insert good traits here}."

How do you remember the following Bulldogs of seasons past ?

1. Rod Silva.
2. Craig Polla-Mounter
3. Jason Hetheringon
4. Simon Gilles
5. Jason Williams
6. Tony Grimaldi
7. Paul Rauhihi
8. Mitch Newton
9. Travis Norton
10. Dean Pay.

If thread makes it to 100 posts - Part Two will follow and a new list.
Polly, very under-rated.
Jason, one of the best hookers we ever had.
Gilles, Like Polly very under-rated.
Grimaldi, He's stats did the talking, you knew how much work he did once he retired.
Travis, a 'second' 5/8, it was sad to see him go to the cowboys.
Dean, Got the job done, mobile and could pass a decent ball too.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
They are all great players my favourite in that lot is Simon Gillies. He was a hard man. Top player. My fave player ever in the game is Terry Lamb and he would be the first i would think of if you asked me about players from the past that i rate.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Tony Grimaldi - Did the best 1 on 1 strip ever
Yep - was at that game and it was a classic moment. The Lobster owned Harmichael ***** big time. ***** had the ball near his 20m and then two seconds later he didn't. Lobster left him standing and scored a try for the Doggies that will long be remembered.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
1. Rod Silva. running from 2cms from his own ingoal touchline to almost their 20 metre line against newcastle in the semi.
It was actually close to halfway then he passed the ball to Gavin Lester if memory serves me correctly.

:p

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
I'll only comment on Rod Silva. Let's just say I sat there for hours watching replays/videos of him as a kid and tried to emulate his game when I played footy.

He was always the bloke I looked up to when I was taking my league career forward, both as a player, and as a person.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
1. Rod Silva - "Rocket" Rod Silva. His try in the '95 GF near the end typifies him for me. A real jolly-on-the-spot type player.

2. Craig Polla-Mounter - Frustrated the hell out of me. Although his near miss FG in the '98 semi V Parra was a great memory.

3. Jason Hetheringon - A pitbull. And funny to boot.
{On Footy Show : Fatty = "How's Chook Halligan going ? He's kicking them from everywhere !", Jason = "Yeah I wouldn't wanna be his dog !"}

4. Simon Gilles - Another of many men who graduated via the school of Bulldog forwards. If not for Canterbree (lol .... had to do that) ... he would have been 2nd string.

5. Jason Williams - We nicknamed him Heart-attack Harry growing up. He did so many things to put your heart in your mouth.

6. Tony Grimaldi - "The Lobster". And the stuff of legend.

7. Paul Rauhihi - I was sad to see him go. He deserved to be there in 2004. ALways admired his play.

8. Mitch Newton - I like Mitch. Big f*ckin unit. He's local to me too, and I used to see him from time to time while in retail. I fondly remember him punching several heads during a Dogs/Parra reserve grade GF once, where a fight spilled over the sidelines and up against fence.

9. Travis Norton - Good hands. Good strength. Good feet. Good for 80min. The perfect utility.

10. Dean Pay - The older I get, the more I admire Dean Pay. I'll never forget his efforts against the Dragons in SF '95.

Status
Not open for further replies.