How did the Dogs go in trial games today vs Roosters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Looked nervous. Didn't go up for that cross kick, would've cost us a try if the rooster didn't drop it over the line. I hope he hasn't caught the "I'm scared of bombs" disease.
For me, only Taupau, browne, barba and Goodwin played well.
I think goodwin did some good things but all the runs and hit ups he took (dummy half runs in our own half) he got smashed and was driven backwards. After kicks we seemed to use wingers to take the ball up for the first 3 tackles even though we had forwards back waiting for the ball. Using backs to run the ball out of the danger zone is ok when you have the likes of Sailor (in his prime) Folau, Hopoate, Trex (when he was a back), but when we use to take hit ups and goodwin to hit up and run from dummy half they will get smashed. Turner is good from dummy half but dont think he should be getting the ball one out running into forwards.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think goodwin did some good things but all the runs and hit ups he took (dummy half runs in our own half) he got smashed and was driven backwards. After kicks we seemed to use wingers to take the ball up for the first 3 tackles even though we had forwards back waiting for the ball. Using backs to run the ball out of the danger zone is ok when you have the likes of Sailor (in his prime) Folau, Hopoate, Trex (when he was a back), but when we use to take hit ups and goodwin to hit up and run from dummy half they will get smashed. Turner is good from dummy half but dont think he should be getting the ball one out running into forwards.
That's always been goodwins Achilles heel. He tends to get smashed when returning the ball. But he's got very safe hands and through all the smashings, he'll keep catching and keep returning, plus he kicks goals.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm not positive signs.

Hopefully Mr Romelo is mended for next week.

Look forward to seeing what the Dogs can bring to the Raiders pack next weekend.

richie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full time dogs lose 40-28. Exciting and disappointing. 10mins of good footy, wrapped in 60mins of crap !! Honestly, don't expect to win too many SG ball games this year.
But enough of the whining, the sun is out and I'm at BELMORE watching my doggies play !!
was expecting a big loss but we came back some how
guston didn't play and a second rower was kicking and none of his kicks went over the 20metre mark which didn't help

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Taupau, brown, Goodwin and barba are the only ones who went really well. There were some other competent performances but no other standouts.
morris was a stand out by far the best player on the field IMO

made some great one on one tackles cut aubusson in half a couple times

setup the first try and poked his nose through the line a few times

watch out he is in for a big one

Goodwin was very solid as well made some good catches in the wet

B

BoonReturns

Easily our best was Dale Finucane. Can't believe he wasn't mentioned. Huge kid who hit hard, ran hard and showed more skill then all our backs put together

COOPS

Waterboy
Reaction score
Finucane was the best player in the first half followed by Tapau. Can't see how Tolman will fit in the team as he is the similar to Graham, Jackson was also strong and we have massive problems in the halves. Pack would be 8. Graham 9. Ennis 10. Kasiano 11. Finucane 12. Pritchard 12. Stagg (just ahead of Jackson for now) bench Tapau, Eastwood, Payne, Reynolds.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
barba was quiet, only had a few touches but was solid under the high ball.
Goodwin played ok, but got smashed bringing the ball up 'good hit'. scored a try
Morris played well, set up a try and worked hard.
Turner was quiet, didnt see much of him.
wright was solid, nothing flash.
keating is hopeless, gave away penalties, offered nothing in attack... He has got to be one of the worst 5/8's going around. ' I saw Morris rip into him at one stage'.
Reynolds failed to offer direction but played ok... A few good hits and tried to create at times. not effecting as a halfback.
Romelo looked ok early on but got injured.
Tollman ran hard and solid in defence.
Kasiano was solid but nothing special.
Graham played ok for his first hitout - only got about 20 minutes.
Eastwood, payne, stagg only got 20 minutes, didnt see much from them.

Overall, the game lacked intensity and I wouldnt take too much out of it, but it would have been good to see some set plays and a bit of flare to entertain the big crowd...
good round up

morris killed it I thought cut aubsson in half a few times and made good decisions wasnt afraid to pass to goodwin had a good offload

tapau and browne were excellent really made some metres and had some grunt up front

what scared me the most is that we looked sluggish and unfit at times possibly training them too hard or also a case that our halves were so **** not to notice this and kick the ball dead to give em a breather

macdougall defended well and has some oomph in him but not quick at all

wright made 1 or 2 bad decisions in defense and 1 lead to a try

reynolds didnt get involved much until the last 10 mins where he ran the ball very well and offloaded a few times

turner was quiet all game made a try saver though one on one other than that never looked for work and looked lazy even

kasiano played average didnt get too much work did a fair bit of defense though made a break but pass was incorrectly ruled forward

graham was good enough reminds me of hannant

cutler may actually take keatings spot played well and gets involved

chad isles was **** in both nsw cup and nrl in nsw cup threw an intercept pass then kicked straight into the opossing player for him to run 90m and score couldnt defend well at all

jackson payne eastwood stagg were all ok nothing great

tolman was good made some good metres

pritchard looked massive played pretty well put on a few good hits

romelo got elbowed on purpose after he cut another player in half with a great tackle and ref was a dumb **** didnt do anything then when trainer was trying to help him walk he shoved him away as if to say wtf man i can walk damn you! lol was awesome a real blood nut

barba didnt play much but wouldve scored but apparently was double knock on didnt drop a single bomb looked confident

finucane can pop an offload and played decently

halatau didnt play

lafai didnt play

goodwin was excellent except for getting dominated in one tackle took a spiraling bomb in the in goal that was fading away from him easily on the full and didnt drop any bombs good in defense and attack took a few decent hit ups played himself into starting side i bet

KEATING
my biggest gripe
this guy has a GREAT runing game
BUT
he cant do any decent long kicks even when in good position he would only manage to kick it to their 20 and their player would bring it out to the 30 or 35
he cant do a decent bomb
he cant make a decent pass several times pritchard or morris were on his outside in half a gap and he passes at their knees and theyd knock it on cause it was uncatchable and the pass would be more a flick end on end than a spiral like it should be
he cant put in an attacking kick

he did give away a few penalties

guy wouldnt see FG anytime soon if we had a good backup

Breeding pups

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
keating should be sent back to parra. he offers nothing. the ORANGE hair might add some colour to the playing field but thats all.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Easily our best was Dale Finucane. Can't believe he wasn't mentioned. Huge kid who hit hard, ran hard and showed more skill then all our backs put together
I agree big strong lad who hit & ran hard however Kapow stood out for me kids gonna be a star. Very disappointed with the rest though. Actually Michael Lett & Josh Morris also had good games. I also expect a big year from cranky franky lurking out wide on the left flank

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Eastwood needs a wake up call ,like starting this season in NSw cup
yep on today's showing tapau finucane & brown are ahead of him. sorry love eastwood of old not the new one

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
romelo got elbowed on purpose after he cut another player in half with a great tackle and ref was a dumb **** didnt do anything then when trainer was trying to help him walk he shoved him away as if to say wtf man i can walk damn you! lol was awesome a real blood nut
I thought I saw the Roosters player throw a punch and I was like what the hell..... Told my mate did you see that but he didnt. Then saw him hobbling off so thought might have injured a leg. So it was an elbow????

I definitely noticed something hitting romelo then he just rolled over in pain. Massive tackle on the bloke, chopped him in half lol

Shame how its a new season but still dirty old roosters, always off side and grubs in the tackles led by hargraves. Also did anyone know why dogs got 3 penalties while defending???

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Full time, Toyota cup. Dogs win 36-34 ! Dominated the second half, to be honest, but switched off with 10 to go and let them in for a couple of late ones !!
All in all, a good start, and looking promising for Toyota cup this year.
Deja vu 2011?

Naki

Kennel Established
Reaction score
was number 12 in the second half of the nrl trial jake foster?

Naki

Kennel Established
Reaction score
oh and i reckon Reynolds was quite dangerous today... he went alright

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I saw the Roosters player throw a punch and I was like what the hell..... Told my mate did you see that but he didnt. Then saw him hobbling off so thought might have injured a leg. So it was an elbow????

I definitely noticed something hitting romelo then he just rolled over in pain. Massive tackle on the bloke, chopped him in half lol

Shame how its a new season but still dirty old roosters, always off side and grubs in the tackles led by hargraves. Also did anyone know why dogs got 3 penalties while defending???
Incorrect play the balls.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBH one thing that annoyed me was line speed. it did not exist today! Same old story as last year! Best players were Morris, looked dangerous and defended solidly, he's pumped for a big year. Goodwin looked sharp n was safe under the high ball, looked a bit faster? Taupau and Browne certainly stepped up n was solid n both ran hard. Defs put their hand up for a bench spot. Jackson and Foster really impressed me. Both ran on the edges n were constantly poking their nose through the line. I though Eastwood was ok today. Ran hard n poked his nose through a few times. Keating as usual was ****. no passing and gave away penalties. hopeless! Morris at one stage was ripping into him. Reynolds I'm not to sure, went ok but the guy cannot tackle! Does a lot of arm grabbing n goes for the shoulder charge every time n misses, not sure if he is the answer at no. 6. Bench player at best ATM. Also offered no direction for the team.

I think once Hodkinson n Ennis come back we'll b right. Our attack flows off the back of ennis and I honestly think line speed will come back. attitude is the key to line speed n I think that will come when rd 1 kicks off. Bring it on!

Status
Not open for further replies.