How did the Dogs go in trial games today vs Roosters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeding pups

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
well KEATING is still there. coaches must see something we cant see. he has no idea

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Today I witnessed a great improvement of defence by Morris ! I dont know about goodwin? still taking all those big hits everytime he has a run. Barba more confident under the high ball. James graham has great potential. Keating seems better in defence but I dont understand his jump triple kick in the air before he starts running and then fails to deliver.. for the rest pretty average and there many improvements in key players mentioned before in this thread.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really showed how much direction we lack without Hodkinson and Ennis today, god help us if either of those guys picks up serious injuries this year because we don't have anyone to fill in and perform at 1st grade level.

Reynolds > Keating to partner Trent but neither set the world on fire today.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
A trial is a trial, it was a good insight as to what Hasler has to deal with and what the problems are, Im sure he will unravel the puzzle.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
A trial is a trial, it was a good insight as to what Hasler has to deal with and what the problems are, Im sure he will unravel the puzzle.
Hopefully, I think once Ennis and Trent are back in the squad we should have a greater form

the_gamee

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought keating had a better game then Reynolds.

Reynolds went well, but if i can see what he is doing as soon as he touches the ball, the defence can too. He is too predictable, as soon as he touches the ball, you can tell what is running through his head.

We really missed Hodkinson and Ennis today but unfortunately today, i saw what i already seen last year. But then again, its better than last years WIN stadium trial, so we can only improve from this.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a shame we didn't out enthuse the Roosters but it was great to see everyone at Belmore at the same time, a sea of blue and white for miles, they should of named a full first grade squad for the first half.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
TBH one thing that annoyed me was line speed. it did not exist today! Same old story as last year! Best players were Morris, looked dangerous and defended solidly, he's pumped for a big year. Goodwin looked sharp n was safe under the high ball, looked a bit faster? Taupau and Browne certainly stepped up n was solid n both ran hard. Defs put their hand up for a bench spot. Jackson and Foster really impressed me. Both ran on the edges n were constantly poking their nose through the line. I though Eastwood was ok today. Ran hard n poked his nose through a few times. Keating as usual was ****. no passing and gave away penalties. hopeless! Morris at one stage was ripping into him. Reynolds I'm not to sure, went ok but the guy cannot tackle! Does a lot of arm grabbing n goes for the shoulder charge every time n misses, not sure if he is the answer at no. 6. Bench player at best ATM. Also offered no direction for the team.

I think once Hodkinson n Ennis come back we'll b right. Our attack flows off the back of ennis and I honestly think line speed will come back. attitude is the key to line speed n I think that will come when rd 1 kicks off. Bring it on!
AHAHA I saw morris ripping into Keating! I was like :confused: and I think keating was tryna explain it wasnt his fault ..

the_gamee

Kennel Established
Reaction score
yep on today's showing tapau finucane & brown are ahead of him. sorry love eastwood of old not the new one
I thought Eastwood done really well, but then again, i was just happy sitting on the hill with my boys.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hmm not positive signs.

Hopefully Mr Romelo is mended for next week.

Look forward to seeing what the Dogs can bring to the Raiders pack next weekend.
Mr Romelo suffers at times with small man syndrome, one good hit on Moi Moi last year and he thinks he has it made, WRONG!!! needs to use some "grey matter" from time to time.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
How many minutes did James Graham, Aiden Tolman, Sam Kasiano, Frank Pritchard, Greg Eastwood and David Stagg have in the trial? And did they play well or just go through the motions?

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Will be completley different with Ennis and Hodko back, good times ahead. As Des said, tha was just a hit out

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Lets see this weekend, Des said something like "that was just a hit out for the players, next week we will have a better look at it and we will be taking a smaller squad to Canberra"
Better to have issues to fix now before round 1. Remember last season, I think we won every trial and went into the season over confident - we know how that turned out.
Have faith in Des, we will be sweet!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Josh Jackson played 12, even though the announcer said it was Halatau. That poor announcer couldn't get anyones names right.

James Graham, Greg Eastwood and Tim Browne played about 8 minutes each. Tolman played about 12.

Tolman was solid. May need to bulk up a little though, he was carried on a few tackles.

Finucane was strong, good tackling game, some strong runs.

Eastwood and Graham were both good while not being great. Graham made one vital mistake of tackling low on the try line leaving Barba to tackle high.

Reynolds was good but proved that he isn't a halfback. Spent too much time concentrating on who he was going to hit rather than directing the game (hence why attack was so messy).

Keating.. I really don't like Keating, I mean really don't like Keating, but I've got to admit that in bad conditions with a messy team he had a good game. First touch of the ball he made a great rocket cut out pass to Morris who in turn put Goodwin over the line. He made the same pass 2 more times only one time Pritchard tried to intercept the pass and knocked it on. Great kicking game, and you can tell Des has gotten to him 'cause I only saw him run the ball once. Gave away a bad penalty though.

Goodwin was solid under the high ball and had a strong game all round. Still slow though and spent more time hitting up the middle than running along the wing.

Lett was excellent both halves. Good hands, great pace and made some major metres.

Pritchard was OK but looked a little nervous and made some vital errors.

Stagg tackled like he always does, some good support play that almost bagged him a try.

Kasiano I honestly didn't see at all.

Jackson was fairly strong too. Hard runs and good tackles.

Romelo has a very sub-par game but was injured before he could play out the half.

Taupau is a force. He bent the line well.

Barba was solid. Didn't make the breaks you'd hope for but looked dangerous and strong under the high ball.

Turner was his usual self. Plays with the heart of a giant.

All in all I think we were missing Ennis and Hodko badly. Lett and Taupau need to be in the first grade side and I'd honestly consider dropping Stagg for Finucane later in the season if he keeps it up.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't get much out of that trial apart from the fact we have a few standout kids coming through.

especially Finucane..the kid is a future rep player.....

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We had no spine, and I meant that literally,,,,well maybe mentally too. Pretty pathetic effort after all the hype, I was sucked in, ahh well early days, However, will remember this effort next time we return to farkin Belmore.
Why would anyone want to go back there honestly! why?? other than training or Junior RL..... forget it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.